How is Nintendo successful?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
How is Nintendo successful when they're consistently behind the times, from not using CDs to having bad online?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
They make exclusive games to their consoles/handhelds. Those exclusives are generally of high quality and quite well liked by a wide gamer base that makes people buy the consoles/handhelds to play them.

That's a big part of it anyway. Enough for a lot of people to forgive the flaws in their practices/hardware.

I mean, I don't give much of a shit about online gaming capability, so that part doesn't bother me, so I got a switch. I do care about a reliance on crappy motion controls so I didn't get a Wii/Wii-U. A lot of their games are doing just fine being on tiny ass little memory cards(which can hold 32 GB) and a lot of people buy their games digitally anyway, so lack of DVD isn't a big letdown in this case.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A lot of their games are doing just fine being on tiny ass little memory cards(which can hold 32 GB) and a lot of people buy their games digitally anyway, so lack of DVD isn't a big letdown in this case.
I usually prefer physical when possible for me. I have a few digital, but most are hard copy.

I do care about a reliance on crappy motion controls so I didn't get a Wii/Wii-U.
The Wii U was not too bad about this by comparison, with a few exceptions.

Star Fox 0. I hate that game.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Nintendo make good games. They can't really do anything else except make good games, but the games are good enough that a lot of people don't mind a lack of anything else.

Reactions: Hawki

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
They retain a solid library of first party titles and at time of writing are still producing the best handheld consoles in the world. It's a simple formula that holds no interest for me personally but isn't hard to understand.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They are extremely good at making very good games. Plus their games tend to be rather different from most aaa games so they don't really have to compete with other big ones. They also make money on each console sold.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Simple answer is that Nintendo makes good to great games (on average) which offsets their average to bad consoles.

It's why I'd love to see Nintendo go third party, but I'll admit that the Switch does fill a niche that otherwise wouldn't be filled right now, outside mobile and more relevantly, the Steam Deck.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Are they bad at making consoles?

The Switch has numerous problems, most notably the reliability issues with the Joy Cons and the general presence of framerate issues caused by it being a tad underpowered, but it's also the best mainstream option for handheld gaming, in that it's the only mainstream option for handheld gaming because every attempt to compete with Nintendo in that market sputtered and died. The Steam Deck will almost certainly be a better quality product but the cheapest one will also be about £40 more than the OLED Switch, £80 more than the original Switch, and over £150 more than a Switch Lite. Nintendo handhelds outdoing more powerful but more expensive competitors has been a consistent occurrence since they started making them. The GameBoy outsold the Game Gear more than 10:1 and the even better Atari Lynx didn't even crack a million sales. The GameBoy Color trounced the frankly brilliant Neo Geo Pocket Color and rather innovative WonderSwan. The GameBoy Advance sold 81 million units, the closest thing it had to a competitor was the ambitious but admittedly flawed N-Gage which cracked 3 million. The oddly often forgotten PSP is the most credible opposition Nintendo ever had, and as such it managed to sell a full 53% as many units as the DS which is the second most successful console of all time. The Playstation Vita was a great console and consequently sold a paltry 16 million in the face of the 3DS romping to just under 76 million.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The answer to your question is simple. They have the most successful franchises on the planet.

Mario.
Zelda.
Pokemon.

/thread.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Do they really? The GameCube was outsold by the Xbox, and the Wii U was outsold by the Xbox One.
That, and Microsoft never had the motion control/touchscreen fixation Nintendo went through.

Yes, there was the Kinect, but none of their consoles were built around it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do they really? The GameCube was outsold by the Xbox, and the Wii U was outsold by the Xbox One.
So what? That did not make the GC a failure. Plus, the GC has more unique games compared to og XBOX. The latter did have a few unique niche games I wish came to other consoles at the time. Plus, a GC can still work after many years. The OG XBOX has a certain problem where a chip with melt after a certain amount of years unless you pay someone or remove it yourself, because Microsoft are dumb asses.

The Wii U still had unique exclusives compare to XONE, and I did not regret my purchase. Granted, I called that most Wii U games would get ported to Switch or other modern consoles, and I was proven correct. I did not regret trading in my Wii U for a Switch either. That said, I had a great time, and I would do it again.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Nintendo use cheap hardware so unlike Microsoft and Sony they don't lose money on each console they make. So they end up making money both on their hardware and software, whereas Nintendo and Microsoft only make money on the software and sell the hardware at a loss that they have to recoup (at least initially until the hardware becomes a few years old and cheaper to continue producing).