How is the Abomb taught in Japan ?

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
I wondered after seeing how the Vietnam war is taught in America so how is it. I can not speak or do i know anything about Japanese school system.

Edit: I get confused cause I am leaning am second language you grammar whores and I am not from America I am from the Caribbean. Japon is how you say japan in spanish

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
I think there might be a couple of spelling errors in your thread title...
He is refering to the Atomic Bomb.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Hmm, how do they teach the vietnam war in America? I imagine it depends which schoolboard is buying the textbooks.

On topic:
That's a good question. I've tried to talk about this with a few of my Japanese friends, and they usually just duck the questions by emphasizing that both Hiroshima and Nagesaki are now thriving cities. This leads me to suppose that it's taught as a great human tragedy which nonetheless is part of what shaped modern Japan.

Don't take my word on that, it's just what I've been able to gather from a few half-finished conversations.

Jeffrey Michaelis

Jul 12, 2011
Speakercone said:
Hmm, how do they teach the vietnam war in America? I imagine it depends which schoolboard is buying the textbooks.

On topic:
That's a good question. I've tried to talk about this with a few of my Japanese friends, and they usually just duck the questions by emphasizing that both Hiroshima and Nagesaki are now thriving cities. This leads me to suppose that it's taught as a great human tragedy which nonetheless is part of what shaped modern Japan.

Don't take my word on that, it's just what I've been able to gather from a few half-finished conversations.

Sounds to me like the school system is just sweeping it under the rug and forgetting it even happened.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
NoOne852 said:
chaosyoshimage said:
And the post that you quoted was referring to the fact that japon is not a country.... much less a word..... but Japan is a country (and a word)

BTW those little red squiggles that keep appearing under select text actually means something......

OT: sorry I'm not sure but am interested myself about how they teach it over there.(I mean over there in Japan, I don't care about japon)

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Speakercone said:

On topic:

That's pretty much what I get from my Japanese friends as well. I know that most of them are pretty embarrassed by whole WWII as a whole, especially Pearl Harbor. Not so much as the young people, but definitely the older generation.

Thought, ya gotta admit it, if they had not been nuked to smitherns, they would not be the country they are today.

Oh yeah and in America, Vietnam is just skipped over pretty much unless you are in a Honors or AP Class. We focus on every war up to Vietnam and than we just kinda gloss over it. Kinda sad actually that we gloss over controversy.

NoOne852

Sep 12, 2011
basm321 said:
NoOne852 said:
chaosyoshimage said:
And the post that you quoted was referring to the fact that japon is not a country.... much less a word..... but Japan is a country (and a word)

BTW those little red squiggles that keep appearing under select text actually means something......
My bad, I apologize for overlooking that.... >.<

Jeffrey Michaelis said:
Speakercone said:

On topic:

Sounds to me like the school system is just sweeping it under the rug and forgetting it even happened.
As far as how Vietnam is taught in America, (in my school) it's not a large subject, my class was taught very well we did not need to be there, we caused more harm then good, South Vietnam didn't really want us there, all just to end up with almost the same thing as what we started.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Kevon Huggins said:
I wondered after seeing how the Vietnam war is taught in America so how is it. I can not speak or do i know anything about Japanese school system.
Not only do you not speak Japanese, it seems you barely speak English. And yet your knowledge of the American school system tells me you're most likely not an ESL student, and therefore probably don't have a reason not to proofread what you type.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
They probably just try not to talk about it. A more important question is how are the large-scale atrocities committed by Japan against China taught in Japanese schools? The answer being, they're not.

Speakercone said:
My school taught it like it was a big mistake, though they never mentioned that the Gulf of Tonkin was a false flag, and they never went into any detail about the actual war (just the domestic political repercussions).

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Brian Hendershot said:
Speakercone said:

On topic:

That's pretty much what I get from my Japanese friends as well. I know that most of them are pretty embarrassed by whole WWII as a whole, especially Pearl Harbor. Not so much as the young people, but definitely the older generation.

Thought, ya gotta admit it, if they had not been nuked to smitherns, they would not be the country they are today.

Oh yeah and in America, Vietnam is just skipped over pretty much unless you are in a Honors or AP Class. We focus on every war up to Vietnam and than we just kinda gloss over it. Kinda sad actually that we gloss over controversy.
We also gloss over Korea, I thinks it's more that WWII and the social changes over the 1950's are more "important" so Korea and Nam tend to not fit.

RedFox742

Apr 22, 2011
As per the Vietnam War, like with many things, it largely depends on the state you live in.

I grew up in Massachusetts, a liberal bastion, so the tale we're taught is that warmongering presidents, fueled by an irrational fear of the domino theory, saw an opportunity in the Gulf of Tonkin incident to fight a useful proxy battle against communism without actually turning the Cold War blazing hot. Once we were in, we couldn't get out without severely losing face to the Communist East, and thus the quagmire began.

I have no idea how it's taught in Mississippi, but I doubt it's the same story.

I'm also curious about Japan.

(EDIT: Ah, so some people just gloss over it, huh? Learning the Vietnam story was mandatory 10th-grade curriculum in my school.)

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Japan talks about Hiroshima and Nagasaki the same way we talk about Atlantis

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
NoOne852 said:
basm321 said:
NoOne852 said:
chaosyoshimage said:

My bad, I apologize for overlooking that.... >.<

Jeffrey Michaelis said:
Speakercone said:

On topic:

As far as how Vietnam is taught in America, (in my school) it's not a large subject, my class was taught very well we did not need to be there, we caused more harm then good, South Korea didn't really want us there, all just to end up with almost the same thing as what we started.
...South Korea didn't want us in Vietnam? That's a little....confusing

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I've heard from some foreign exchange students that topics related to World War II are generally avoided by Japanese schools. Given Japan's conduct in the War and its treatment of POWs and conquered civilians, it's not surprising that they would be reluctant to bring up one of the more sordid parts of their history. The only time they do cover WWII is when Hiroshima and Nagasaki are brought up. It's similar to how American schools make a big fuss over Pearl Harbor, yet gloss over Japanese-American internment.

That's for primary education, anyway. I think they might be more open to discussion in the higher education levels. When I was in college I took a semester class that dealt entirely with the Vietnam War, despite it being a dark chapter in my country's history. I also took an African American history class that pulled no punches when it came to discussing slavery and race relations.

NoOne852

Sep 12, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
South Korea didn't want us in Vietnam? That's a little....confusing
Wow, I need to drink some coffee or something.... let me fix that post...

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Kevon Huggins said:
Not only do you not speak Japanese, it seems you barely speak English. And yet your knowledge of the American school system tells me you're most likely not an ESL student, and therefore probably don't have a reason not to proofread what you type.
Oh I get it. It's funny because you're an ass. Maybe next time read a few posts to see if an issue has already been addressed before making an ass of yourself.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
I've heard from some foreign exchange students that topics related to World War II are generally avoided by Japanese schools. Given Japan's conduct in the War and its treatment of POWs and conquered civilians, it's not surprising that they would be reluctant to bring up one of the more sordid parts of their history. The only time they do cover WWII is when Hiroshima and Nagasaki are brought up. It's similar to how American schools make a big fuss over Pearl Harbor, yet gloss over Japanese-American internment.

That's for primary education, anyway. I think they might be more open to discussion in the higher education levels. When I was in college I took a semester class that dealt entirely with the Vietnam War, despite it being a dark chapter in my country's history. I also took an African American history class that pulled no punches when it came to discussing slavery and race relations.
Definitely never glossed over it in my class. It was actually an essay question on our final exam. We had to defend/condemn the internment and provide evidence to try and back our theories up.