How likely is it that I'd be turned down a job for a tattoo?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Obviously we're talking "appropriate" tattoos, and not ones of nudity and grotesque violence (though nudity in my opinion should be a non-issue in most cases)

I ask because I'm 21, and my father has offered to get me a tattoo since I was 18, and all this time I've been thinking about what I would want, where, and how it could potentially effect my life.

But my mother worries that it will effect my ability to get a career, or even a temporary small time job.

I'm not entirely convinced that the likelihood is even that high that I would be turned down, but I'm curious what other people's experience with it is before I really make my final decision.

Of course, I could just get a small tattoo in a place where almost no one would see it unless I had my shirt off, but other than personal value, what else is the point in getting one in that case?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Tattoos only pose a risk to your job if they're in an obvious place and you'll be dealing with a lot of other professionals or customers/clients. Some work environments are friendly with tattoos, and the ones that aren't generally just ask that you keep them covered, but if you want to keep your career/job opportunities as open as possible it would be prudent to get one in a place that's easy to hide. You may not get turned down as long as they don't know about it during the hiring process, but you might definitely be asked to cover it up. Personally I don't have a tattoo, but I've known and worked with people who have tattoos in obvious places (like the wrist) and they were very vocal about how frustrating it was to have to wear long sleeves all the time.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
No idea if you had any plans to join the military at some point in your life, but right now the current US military does not allow new recruits with Tattoos on the head, face or neck(people who already had them got them grandfathered in). On the hands is rather iffy. Even if you get one removed, it has to be fully removed and fully healed to be acceptable.

So like others have said, it's a lot safer to get one in places where people don't normally see it and that can easily covered up in a job environment(AKA if a shirt hides it).

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
If you get a tattoo that shows it will effect your job prospects. Most workplaces frown on public display of tattoos because not everyone has a positive image of tattoos and they have to do business with them. I'm not saying all business are like that but you do limit your employment opportunities by having a non coverable tattoo.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Lilani said:
Tattoos only pose a risk to your job if they're in an obvious place and you'll be dealing with a lot of other professionals or customers/clients. Some work environments are friendly with tattoos, and the ones that aren't generally just ask that you keep them covered, but if you want to keep your career/job opportunities as open as possible it would be prudent to get one in a place that's easy to hide. You may not get turned down as long as they don't know about it during the hiring process, but you might definitely be asked to cover it up. Personally I don't have a tattoo, but I've known and worked with people who have tattoos in obvious places (like the wrist) and they were very vocal about how frustrating it was to have to wear long sleeves all the time.
Unfortunately, I hate long sleeves that aren't in the form of a hoodie of jacket, so I'd be in a slightly uncomfortable time if I had t o resort to that.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Dalisclock said:
No idea if you had any plans to join the military at some point in your life, but right now the current US military does not allow new recruits with Tattoos on the head, face or neck(people who already had them got them grandfathered in). On the hands is rather iffy. Even if you get one removed, it has to be fully removed and fully healed to be acceptable.

So like others have said, it's a lot safer to get one in places where people don't normally see it and that can easily covered up in a job environment(AKA if a shirt hides it).
I haven't had any plans, though many of my friends have. I do believe one of them has a tattoo, though I can't remember where at the moment.

For a full career I'm planning on going to school for IT or Computer system analyst (something along those lines anyway), so I'm not sure if tattoos would really matter. I guess it depends on the place and setting in that case.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This is something that has really changed in the past few decades. Most forms of tattooing are vastly, vastly more accepted now than they were, and that stigma is only going to decrease. That said, it very much depends on your career and the specific dress code of your workplace. Most IT or tech jobs should be fine as long as it's not something really extreme.

I would suggest starting with something fairly inobtrustive, like an upper arm or back tattoo, with the knowledge that you can always go back and get another. Tattoos can be quite personal, as well as spectacular. It doesn't always have to be about showing off, it can also be about commemorating something significant.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Having a tattoo(visible) will definitely limit your job options. If your working in IT, you will tend to have more leniency in general. But if the location that your working in is in certain types of businesses, then you may still find it limiting. For example certain government contracts may be outside your reach. Certain law firms or banking institutions may also be unwilling to hire you. Same with insurance companies. Even working for certain hotels may be denied.

Even in cases where it isn't forbidden to have tattoo's it will be held against you in the hiring process. It will be one of those issues that will tip the balance against you if you are against similarly qualified candidates who do not have tattoo's. This is largely due to it counting against the idea of a "professional" appearance. That and amongst many of the older generation (who regrettably seem to hold most of the money and power these days), there is an association with tattoo's that they equate with criminality, gangs, prisons, and other signs of untrustworthiness that they tend to be less comfortable around. Most businesses have to make their clients feel comfortable, especially those with money(older people) who may feel concerned at just seeing staff with tattoo's.

I can sympathize, though I have no tattoo's. As a Goth, I have struggles with job limitations that sadly cannot be simply covered up. My woman has similar problems being an obvious Goth while struggling hard to keep it just low key enough to not be called out in an industry that is incredibly biased against us(though one could understand why). So much so in fact that if her employers learned who I was in relation to her, then it could jeopardize her employment.

On the other hand sometimes what keeps you out of some jobs could wind up what gets you other jobs. I have been incredibly lucky in that most of my jobs were granted in some small part on my appearance. But it wouldn't be wise for me to advocate based on expectations of luck.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Baffle said:
Aramis Night said:
I can sympathize, though I have no tattoo's. As a Goth, I have struggles with job limitations that sadly cannot be simply covered up. My woman has similar problems being an obvious Goth while struggling hard to keep it just low key enough to not be called out in an industry that is incredibly biased against us(though one could understand why). So much so in fact that if her employers learned who I was in relation to her, then it could jeopardize her employment.
Do you ... work in the priesthood?
No. Being agnostic tends to get in the way of that being a career path for me. I do get that question sometimes though. I do like the look of some of those priest coats.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Baffle said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Unfortunately, I hate long sleeves that aren't in the form of a hoodie of jacket, so I'd be in a slightly uncomfortable time if I had t o resort to that.
To be honest, workplace dresscodes don't usually care much how you feel about it. .
I'm aware of that. My current job is very relaxed with it though. Wear the shirt. No jeans. Closed toed shoes. Wear your nametag somewhere. It's a retail job in a small store, so no one makes a fuss about it.

I only meant what I said to give myself a reason to possibly not get a tattoo.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
It really does depend what job you're going for, and which country you're in.

But frankly, yes, if you have a tattoo, and you don't work in, let's say, a tattoo parlour, then you're likely going to be knocked down a few pegs on the employability meter, and nowadays, there are people with the same grades, if not better, than you who do not have tattoos. Why put yourself at a disadvantage in such a shit economy?

If you're looking for reasons to not get one, then you're likely not that bothered about it in the first place, and you'll likely regret it in a couple of years. Remember; you'll have it more or less for life. Even removing tends to still leave an imprint, be expensive and be painful.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I probably should have included this in my previous points since it is incredibly relevant and entertaining. Enjoy.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Here's a few spots that you can tattoo and it wouldn't be a problem (or THAT much of a problem).

-Legs
-Back
-Shoulders (Even if you wear a t-shirt, you can still hide it well).
-Chest

Everyone of those places are safe-zones that can hide a lot of stuff.

Now that you got that covered, let's talk about the actual tattoo.

1. Just don't put something offensive. Let me clear on the "offensive". It's not what's offensive to you, but what is offensive to others.
2. Pick something meaningful. Because you would want to keep it and you can explain why it's important to you.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
You say you wouldn't get one in a spot you could cover up because then "what's the point."

In which case, I ask you, do you want a tattoo for yourself or are you just considering it because the offer is on the table?

If you think the whole point of getting a tattoo is to be able to show it off (as opposed to one that has personal value), you probably won't be happy with anything you pick.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Pretty bloody likely. If you want a tattoo, make sure that it is in a place that only your family can in the privacy of your your home.

Captcha: Spelling bee. OOHHH you can tattoo spelling bee on your back