How likely is it that I'd be turned down a job for a tattoo?

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Haerthan said:
Pretty bloody likely. If you want a tattoo, make sure that it is in a place that only your family can in the privacy of your your home.

Captcha: Spelling bee. OOHHH you can tattoo spelling bee on your back
Actually attempting to keep it covered at work doesn't always work either. If for example you get a drug test as a condition of employment and its seen during the course of you sitting in a clinic in a paper gown, bye bye job. Same with a physical if your employer insists on one as a condition of work(yes it can happen, often for liability reasons) and the doctor or nurse see's it during the course of your physical examination, they may report it to your employer as they are not bound by confidentiality under those conditions, since the entire point of the procedure is to inform your employer about you.

Some employers are so heartless that if you have an accident at work and it results in your clothes being ripped and them spotting a tattoo, they can use that as grounds for termination.

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Of course, I could just get a small tattoo in a place where almost no one would see it unless I had my shirt off, but other than personal value, what else is the point in getting one in that case?
I know several people who have quite a few tattoos and the vast majority of them are covered up. I recently got my first tattoo and it is on my upper arm where it will be covered pretty much always since I don't wear tank tops. I have my next tattoo already designed and it will be on the opposite arm. Two knight chess pieces, one black and one white. At this point I'm already considering getting two rooks on my chest, two bishops on my shoulder blades, and a king and queen in the middle of my upper back (for the full set). All will be covered by a standard t-shirt. Why? I think it's pretty awesome and that's all that matters. If you want a tatt to show off then you're getting it for the wrong reason, imo.

Visible tatts will definitely affect your chances in getting jobs. At my current job they asked if I had visible tatts before having me in for an interview and then I find, after I was hired, that one of my co-workers is near sleeved. Two of our back office people (the ones no one will see) have several tatts and even some facial piercings. So even places that may be lenient on tatts may still not consider you anyway. It also has a lot to do with where you are. I'm in Southern California and I've even seen "professionals" (read: "suits") with visible tatts.

HankyPanky

Jan 29, 2015
Is it really worth it? It's purely cosmetic and it will only do you more harm than good in the professional sphere.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
"I'm sorry, the position has been filled.....but we will, of course, keep your application on file."
[img /]http://cdn.fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/spider-face-tattoo.jpg[/img]

OT: Depends what you get and where you get it. A guy at my work has ink all over him, but it's all abstract tribal art, New Age garbage, and a portrait of William Burroughs. Not exactly skulls and titties. Get inked anywhere but your face, neck, or forearms and it hardly matters what it is because almost no one will see it.

dr_what

Oct 6, 2012
Well I'm a teacher (just qualified) and have a job in a school. I have tattoos on my back, left arm as far as the elbow and chest. All I do is cover it up and nothing has ever been said to me about it. Besides, its become more socially acceptable these days.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Something discrete that can easily be covered, no big deal. So upper arms, legs, torso and back shouldn't get you in any serious trouble- it's not like your boss can order you to work shirtless or to wear shorts, if that's actually happening tattoos are the least of your concerns in regards to professionalism.

If you must get something somewhere it will be visible, how this will be perceived will depend on the tattoo itself and on the field. If you want to be a teacher, doctor, or other sort of professional any visible markings might cause you trouble. Artists, on the other hand, can get away with basically not having anything aggressive and not having anything on the face or neck.

Generally speaking, I'd say get it somewhere you can easily cover, absolutely nothing on your face or neck, and nothing aggressive.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
the rule I follow with tattoos is i'll have a clear idea what i want, but i'll carry that idea around for two years. Still want it? get it.

Ofcourse, you might want to get it on a spot you can cover. I suggest the upper or lower leg, since an environment that is adverse to tattoos, probably won't allow you to wear shorts.