How long until TOR shuts down

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I don't understand. You suggest with that title that you are asking a question, making for a discussion, but you are just stating things as though it weren't a question and all just fact.

If going Free to play was as bad as you suggest, then why are most of them still making some profit from it? Heck, I can't even think of one Free To Play that folded, could someone help with that?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
Soon life itself will be free to play.
Not if the Republicans have anything to say about it.
For some reason the fatality sound byte played in my head after reading that statement. o_O

I need to eat something.

Apr 5, 2008
The game as a whole won't go anywhere. Regardless of subscriber numbers or personal qualms, it is still a complete, polished and well made MMO. Further, it's development cost I understand was among the highest, if not the highest, of any video game. It won't disappear, it might just more tightly embrace the F2P model and microtransactions.

Eve and WoW are prob the only MMOs able to sustain subscribers and subscriptions any more. THe first because it's unique and niche, the second because it's the most popular. That's right, I said it. The reason for WoW's continued popularity, is its popularity. On the basis that it's the most popular, when "casuals" or anyone wants to play an MMO, it's the first one they go to. It caters for a wide spectrum of players, from the casual to the hardcore, the social to the soloer and is unarguably well made, even if I don't like it or the way it's been developed over the years.

The main trouble is that with so many F2P MMOs available now, charging a sub is hard to justify for many who will think "Well, I can play a different game for free". With so much choice, why pay a sub? Particularly for those without credit cards.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
fluffybunny937 said:
Am I the only one who thinks the free to play model is the future of MMOs?
That's hardly the minority sentiment nowadays, at the very least it's starting to outnumber the people who think that F2P automatically equals suck.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
And That said:
Nobody cares about Star Wars anymore. I can't be the only one who knows this, right?

Any respectability the intellectual property ever had was stripped away by George Lucas himself and that awful Clone Wars series.

Nobody gives 2 fucks about Star Wars, everyone has moved on to more interesting things, Star Wars is old hat.

That's why it failed.
Apparently you've been on the internet a whole 5 minutes because Star Wars is still one of the most loved sci fi universes of all time, despite how much Lucas has been trying to rape it.

OT: DOOOM!!! DOOOM! DOOM EVERYWHERE.

Seriously? This game isn't going to die because its going F2P, how many huge games that have gone F2P died within the year?

Oh, right, none.

Seriously you just seem like another person who hated TOR so you cling onto any hope of finding a reason to hate the damn thing even more, and any evidence of it's "Downfall" is enough for you to wet your pants with joy.

TOR still has a lot left in it.

Otherwise I'm going to sit back and wait until it goes F2P and I can enjoy all the story lines for free :D

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
It'll probably go on for a while.
Hell, APB is still going and that has none of the supporting factors that TOR does have.
I just don't understand that game.

So shoddily made and yet it still holds me and my friends...
WHAT KIND OF WITCHCRAFT IS THAT?!

PteraZachTyl

Aug 2, 2012
It's already dead in my eyes, as are Bioware. We're just seeing a lifeless vessel trudge around with it's last few breaths.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The best part of the game is free (the story), the limitation is the number of PVP and High end PVE you can do in a week. So I really think they are going to sink because of that. People are going to play the free story line and then walk away and not play the PVP/High end PVE.

Nov 28, 2007
And That said:
Nobody cares about Star Wars anymore. I can't be the only one who knows this, right?

Any respectability the intellectual property ever had was stripped away by George Lucas himself and that awful Clone Wars series.

Nobody gives 2 fucks about Star Wars, everyone has moved on to more interesting things, Star Wars is old hat.

That's why it failed.
*raises eyebrow* You're serious, aren't you? Yeah, never mind the fact that it has one of the biggest Expanded Universes out there, and is one of the most recognizable sci-fi franchises of all time. Star Wars is old news. Just like Star Trek.

OT: It'll go on for a while. Hell, DC Universe, LOTRO, Dungeons and Dragons Online, APB, Age of Conan, Everquest II...all still going. The only MMOs I can think of that actually shut down are Matrix Online and Tabula Rasa, the former of which failed mostly due a lack of any real F2P option at the time of it failing, and Tabula Rasa's parent company shut down, and the man who was responsible for it, Richard Garriot, had his resignation forged while he was in outer space.

I can't see Bioware shutting down.

Geofuji

May 2, 2010
I think free to play worked the first time because everyone was interested in a free look in a member only type of game that required a credit card to play. I imagine its how it got so much traffic and sparked interest in people, however now its getting as saturated as the Koreon mmo market, will free to play work that well much longer?

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Zeckt said:
You say TOR's days are numbered as if you are right or something, especially with the name of the topic. This seems like a pointless "hate the game" topic to me. I'm sure you will attract others to come in and bash the game with you with their wrong opinions, so if thats what your aiming at congratulations. Anyways, you seem badly biased enough to discredit your point.
I somewhat agree, but

[font color=green]>wrong opinions[/font]

...I'm sorry, what?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
It will probably turn a profit on the F2P model eventually. It will chug along for 5-10 years most likely.
Don't you know? In 2012, F2P is still doom! DOOOOOOOM!
I thought these were relevant to your post.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
There are tons of mmos that stay strong with communities of around 20-100k subs. You act like 1.5 million is a failure.

Will it die down? Yea, but the fact that its free kotor with friends will be sure to pull in a lot of subs that wouldnt have normally bought it. The good thing about the game is it can be played single player like Kotor as much as it can be played like a Warcraft-style mmo. Its got plenty of life left in it.

Stop with the "herp derp TORtanic funny original joke" stuff. Its getting old and your not cool for saying it anymore. In fact, you never were cool for saying it. As a connoisseur of puns myself, its a poorly constructed play on words.

Nov 28, 2007
Don Savik said:
There are tons of mmos that stay strong with communities of around 20-100k subs. You act like 1.5 million is a failure.

Will it die down? Yea, but the fact that its free kotor with friends will be sure to pull in a lot of subs that wouldnt have normally bought it. The good thing about the game is it can be played single player like Kotor as much as it can be played like a Warcraft-style mmo. Its got plenty of life left in it.

Stop with the "herp derp TORtanic funny original joke" stuff. Its getting old and your not cool for saying it anymore. In fact, you never were cool for saying it. As a connoisseur of puns myself, its a poorly constructed play on words.
So, would you call yourself...a pungeoun master?

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
F2P =/= Fail of a game. Look at the popularity of Tribes, TF2 and League/Other MOBAs. I think they just launched the game at the wrong time for a subscription model to work properly, the only MMO that can do that properly at the moment is WoW. Most MMOs for the foreseeable future are going to be micro-transaction/buy-to-play because nobody's going to go for subscriptions anymore.

Don't get me wrong I have a huge amount of qualms with TOR myself, but going F2P doesn't mean it failed, it just means it was sold the wrong way.

Sep 14, 2009
Rednog said:
The best part of the game is free (the story), the limitation is the number of PVP and High end PVE you can do in a week. So I really think they are going to sink because of that. People are going to play the free story line and then walk away and not play the PVP/High end PVE.
basically what i am going to do. i never wanted an mmo in the first place (as most of kotor fanbase), and i figured it would cheapen in price/go F2P eventually, so i'll play the shit out of it probably for a month, then drop it and never touch it again.