How long will Valve stick to the Source-engine?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I_LIKE_CAKE said:
I challenge you to present a game with better lighting effects then L4D.
Far Cry 2

Resident Evil 5

Borderlands

Little Big PLanet

Dead Space

Fable 2

Killzone 2

F.E.A.R. 2

etc etc

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
miracleofsound said:
Lordmarkus said:
Well, the headline are quite self-explanatory, how long will Valve stick to the Source-engine?

It's still great and it's very mod friendly but compared to other engines it's starting to age, after all, it's 5 years old. Will Valve keep updating it or will/are they building a new game-engine soon? What's your thoughts?
Thank you!

I have been saying this for the last year. L4D had extremely dated graphics and suffered from a low framerate for a modern shooter.

After a week playing the technical masterpiece of Borderlands (MASSIVE maps that rarely drop a frame, except during head explosions), it is even clearer that it's time for Vavle to build the next Source engine.

Bethesda might want to have a look at this idea too. Fallout 3 was like a broken strobe light at times.
I never critized the Source engine, I still think HL2: Ep2 and TF2 looks amazing. I was just asking the community when or if Valve would replace the source engine.

It isn't CryEngine 3, but it's solid, ruggid and it does its job and as I'm sure you have seen, it works wonders in Valve's gametrailers (I'm looking at you, leaked L4D 2 trailer)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
miracleofsound said:
Lordmarkus said:
Well, the headline are quite self-explanatory, how long will Valve stick to the Source-engine?

It's still great and it's very mod friendly but compared to other engines it's starting to age, after all, it's 5 years old. Will Valve keep updating it or will/are they building a new game-engine soon? What's your thoughts?
Thank you!

I have been saying this for the last year. L4D had extremely dated graphics and suffered from a low framerate for a modern shooter.

After a week playing the technical masterpiece of Borderlands (MASSIVE maps that rarely drop a frame, except during head explosions), it is even clearer that it's time for Vavle to build the next Source engine.

Bethesda might want to have a look at this idea too. Fallout 3 was like a broken strobe light at times.
I never critized the Source engine, I still think HL2: Ep2 and TF2 looks amazing. I was just asking the community when or if Valve would replace the source engine.

It isn't CryEngine 3, but it's solid, ruggid and it does its job and as I'm sure you have seen, it works wonders in Valve's gametrailers (I'm looking at you, leaked L4D 2 trailer)
Just watched that trailer, it does look (pre-rendered) fantastic.

I do find the actual in game character models look very angular and 'gamey' though, compared to many modern titles.

Apr 28, 2008
I'd rather them not focus on making a new engine when the current one works just fine and looks fantastic.

They should instead focus on more important things, like kickass games.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
miracleofsound said:
Lordmarkus said:
miracleofsound said:
Lordmarkus said:

Thank you!

I do find the actual in game character models look very angular and 'gamey' though, compared to many modern titles.
You are right about the characters, but you can't have everything ^^.

Thought about that pre-rendering thingy just when I posted my last response. (Hole in my arguement, loud noises of anguish NOOOOOO!!!)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
miracleofsound said:
Lordmarkus said:
miracleofsound said:
Lordmarkus said:

Thank you!

You are right about the characters, but you can't have everything ^^.

Thought about that pre-rendering thingy just when I posted my last response. (Hole in my arguement, loud noises of anguish NOOOOOO!!!)
Haha... well I'm sure they used Source to build the cutscene, so your argument still makes sense.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Valve is source in the same way Epic is unreal engine and Crytec is Cryengine.
Thell just make a Source 2.0 not a new one.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Lordmarkus said:

The source engine appears to be so well-built, that I think they will probably just make minor graphical updates to it and keep using it. Seriously, when it comes to physics and fluidity, no other engine can compare to Source.

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
Maybe the reason Episode 3 is taking so long is because they are developing a whole new engine.

On the other hand that is ridiculous.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
RAND00M said:
I_LIKE_CAKE said:
Killzone 2.There i took your challenge.
Oh yes, stoic brown and red, such a great contrast and variety of nothingness that barely shows anything off at all, let alone the lighting.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
I think in it's current form, Source won't last for a year.
But Valve will probably still be using an engine named Source 10 years from now, just an upgraded/heavily-modded/rewritten version of it (Source
Code:
v2.0
arguments(or
Code:
v3.0, v7.4.67643,
etc.)

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Mr Orange said:
guardian001 said:
Valve doesn't really seem to build new engines, they just keep adding new stuff to the old one. I mean, the Source engine is just a very heavily modified Quake engine.
Is it? I thought that they used a havily modified version of the Quake engin for HL1. I thought Source was built by them.
Nope. The Quake engine was modified into GoldSrc(GoldSource), which then grew into Source. As of HL2 (which I guess was a few years ago), there was still a bit of early Quake code in the engine. Most of it has been modified beyond recognition at this point.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
RAND00M said:
I_LIKE_CAKE said:
Killzone 2.There i took your challenge.
Oh yes, stoic brown and red, such a great contrast and variety of nothingness that barely shows anything off at all, let alone the lighting.
Radec academy.The lighting there was rather realistic.The one where you take out the AA gun,the lighting there was also good.And just for most of the game the lighting was way above average.

stumpy107

Jan 12, 2008
Why question the graphics of the source engine? all the games valve makes aren't about the graphics, it's all about the game play physics and for HL series the story. i mean i am not waiting for ep 3 for the graphics but the story and cool game play.