How many hours do you average gaming?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Could be per day, week, month, etc. Obviously it's gonna vary across the year.

I usually play for a couple of hours before turning in for the day. On weekends more, though I tend to play more in the evening or at night.

Last year with the quarantine I played an insane amount, more than any year of my life probably (even when I didn't have a job). Nowadays I feel like I have to parse it to a couple at the end of the day so I don't get saturated.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have very long work days plus an annoying commute so I'm lucky if i get 1 hour per weekday, however on the weekends i can put in sometimes 10 hours on a saturday if im lucky.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Usually around 3-4 hours a day, during work week. I'm usually playing when I get home from work, until bed. Though often it's some casual game I can play while doing something else. Like playing Slay the Spire while watching a movie or something. But plenty of it is time spent playing something that completely takes up my attention.

Weekends are significantly higher.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
3-4 hours per day during the week tops and well on weekends I can spend an entire day so maybe like 10-12 hours easily lol

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Right now I average 6-8 on my weekends(like over the entire weekend, so 3-4 hours per day) and that's most of my gaming time. Sometimes I get an hour during my workweek to play as well. The pandemic actually made it harder to find game time because my wife works from home all the time and my kid has been pretty much home all the time as well.

Though she's(my daughter) going back to daycare next week so maybe I'll be able to squeeze some more game time out not having to watch her as much.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
About an hour a day on weekdays. Don't really have much time for more between work, cooking dinner and other household chores, exercising, walking the dog, some other stuff, and of course spending time with my gf. I can get more on the weekends, usually around an afternoon's worth, so 3-5 hours a day.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A typical baseline is I play 1-2 hours per work day. Usually on my laptop same time I'm watching TV with my wife, or if they need my desktop I don't watch TV at the same time. Needing to do a job, spend quality time with my wife and doing stuff round the house doesn't allow for more. At weekends assume ~2h a day on laptop whilst watching TV, and up to another 4h on either machine depending on how much I have to do and whether I'm feeling it.

If I've got a new game on the desktop and I'm very into it, my wife may give me leave to mostly abandon her for about a week, in which case those numbers go higher. My wife is more tolerant of laptop gaming, as we are at least sharing some experience watching TV.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Right now? Probably about 8-10 hrs. Im only holidays

Normally 1-2 hours and maybe 3-4 on weekends if I have nothing on

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I haven't played much lately (like five hours total over the last month-ish), but my usual gaming time is maybe 1-2hrs a week day 3/5 with half to 1 hr the rest of the time, with maybe 4-5hrs on a Sat or Sun, with only a bit on the other weekend day.

If there was a major release I was hyped for and I easily get into the game, raise all numbers accordingly as I can end up playing it pretty intensely (though, without it getting in the way of time with the missus, chores, general adulting etc.).

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Depends on my mood, I basically have no consistency, but lately 2-3 hours per day, though when I'm really into something I don't stop and don't sleep, so it's hard to tell, but at least for the last two months 2-3 hours per day and on weekends sometimes more, sometimes less, but I recently as in last weekend started playing D&D again on Saturdays, if that counts as gaming too add like 10 hours, I'm not joking that's how long we play, though it's going to be D&D 1 weekend and Pathfinder 1E the other (As in this next Saturday), but yeah however long that is.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm going to echo what everyone else has said and say a couple of hours in the working week and a few more hours at the weekend. Sometimes at the weekend, if I don't need to leave the house for any reason, I will say "screw it" and spend about 5 hours playing something. God forbid I ever find a girlfriend, my gaming time will take a hit as I hear they require time and attention. But its fine, me finding a girlfriend is highly unlikely ha ha ha ha...*sigh*

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm no longer consistent with this. I do find that I don't have as much patience for certain games nowadays, I'm quicker to drop a game and more hesitant to buy new ones.

I've stopped playing a lot of the 'habitual' games, be it multiplayer stuff or the usual mobile game skinner boxes that require daily maintenance. I feel like being stuck at home has kinda killed the appeal of a lot of mobile games, which I'd mostly play on the toilet, slacking off at work, or whatever random idle times I have while being out and about.

I used to play some multiplayer games fairly consistently, even if my friends aren't available to join me. I used to play a fair bit of HoTS and was happy to solo queue but I eventually kinda lost interest. I used to play a fair bit of MWO, but after the Oceania server shift(it used to be in Singapore and I'm in Malaysia, but now it's actually in Australia), I found my ping to be at intolerable levels and I dropped it. I had a lot of fun with Robocraft once upon a time but updates killed the game for me. Nowadays I only play Halo MCC, just custom game lobbies with some close friends though sometimes we'd queue up for 4v4 in matchmaking.

When I do try a game that manages to hook me in, I'll still fall deep and end up playing till the wee hours of the night, possibly till next morning. Don't really remember the last time this happened though. I think the last games that really engaged me were Yakuza 0/1/2 but I think I kept my shit quite together during them and managed to pace myself without doing any all-nighters. I think my last all-nighter was Subnautica but that was quite a while ago.

I'm perfectly happy nowadays to just veg out and do not much besides roll around in bed and let youtube autoplay just do its thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Far too many. About 3-4 hours per weeknight. Mind you that’s after the dinner is cooked, the cooking mess cleaned and the kids have been showered and put to bed. Weekends are hit or miss. Either I’m in the zone all day or I’m not on at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It depends. I try to get in 2-4 hours depending on the game, and I have more time on the weekend. Usually. I am doing more activities of the non-gaming variety, so I cut some of those hours short on the weekend. It's not a big deal for me, as I mostly play short/shorter games any way.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm no longer consistent with this. I do find that I don't have as much patience for certain games nowadays, I'm quicker to drop a game and more hesitant to buy new ones.
Fairly similar. A lot of it now is that outside fairly low-graphics and relatively slow paced games on my laptop, I just don't really have the time or energy I once did to devote to gaming. I usually have an online game I can dip in and out of (Elite: Dangerous these days), but a lot of the sorts of big, sandboxy first person RPGs I used to enjoy now look more like intimidating time sinks; and FPSs, I feel my accuracy and reflexes are blown with lack of practice and advancing age.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fairly similar. A lot of it now is that outside fairly low-graphics and relatively slow paced games on my laptop, I just don't really have the time or energy I once did to devote to gaming. I usually have an online game I can dip in and out of (Elite: Dangerous these days), but a lot of the sorts of big, sandboxy first person RPGs I used to enjoy now look more like intimidating time sinks; and FPSs, I feel my accuracy and reflexes are blown with lack of practice and advancing age.
Aside from the age thing, I am of a similar mind set. Long ass 40 hrs+ game never did much for me, even back when I was a kid or teenager. I preferred 6-14 hour games at most. It's why I stay away from a majority of GTA style sandbox or WRPG/JRPG games. They have little or nothing to offer me at this point. More so the latter. There's a reason why I like brawlers, platformers, racers, and puzzle games so much.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Aside from the age thing, I am of a similar mind set. Long ass 40 hrs+ game never did much for me, even back when I was a kid or teenager. I preferred 6-14 hour games at most. It's why I stay away from a majority of GTA style sandbox or WRPG/JRPG games. They have little or nothing to offer me at this point. More so the latter. There's a reason why I like brawlers, platformers, racers, and puzzle games so much.
For me it depends on the game, obviously. I do find I play more short duration games these days, or ones that you can easily save and step away from after just 15-20 minutes. I'm often being pulled away by other things, like my cats or wife, etc. But we both enjoy the big, long duration games, that have a lot to do. It depends on the quality too of course, as some big games are just bloated messes. I usually tackle the big games by setting an objective for each session. Like try and finish a particular quest. Or forage for supplies for a specific upgrade, etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But we both enjoy the big, long duration games, that have a lot to do. It depends on the quality too of course, as some big games are just bloated messes. I usually tackle the big games by setting an objective for each session. Like try and finish a particular quest. Or forage for supplies for a specific upgrade, etc.
Exactly why I don't bother with all of Rockstar's, Ubisoft, and and whatever open world bull crap Bethesda pulls out of its ass. There's a reason the most recent open world games I enjoyed were Ghosts Of Tsushima and Miles Morales. I'm glad you and your wife are able to enjoy though.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Exactly why I don't bother with all of Rockstar's, Ubisoft, and and whatever open world bull crap Bethesda pulls out of its ass. There's a reason the most recent open world games I enjoyed were Ghosts Of Tsushima and Miles Morales. I'm glad you and your wife are able to enjoy though.
Yeah it's funny having a copilot, though she will often play the games herself. I think the most recent one she would play on her own profile was Olympus: Fenyx Rising by Ubisoft. I think that was mostly because the tone of that game is incredibly comical and silly, so she had fun replaying it given how little it took itself seriously.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
On days I do play (which is most days of the week) it’s anywhere between 1-3 hours per day, leaning on the higher side during weekends. Usually involves losing sleep in any case as nearly 100% of my game time is when the wife and kid are in bed.