How many of you guys have heard of Tim Tams?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
odd question

I dont know if they are availible outside oz...anyway they were one of those child hood things..mmmmmmmm

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm Australian, so yeah, I know 'em. Can't say I'm a fan though.

Saw my housemate munching his way through some honeycomb ones the other day; they were one of those gourmet packs I think. They sounded ok, I guess.

I'm still a sucker for Ritz.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Yes, as I'm Australian. I've seen the turkish delight ones lying around and have been meaning to grab a pack, but I don't often buy them (though I'll certainly eat them if someone else is sharing).

I prefer Gaiety biscuits though... and Lattice! They're fucking awesome.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Yup
Had some yesterday actually, they're quite nice but... whats the point of this thread exactly?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
The British have somethign exactly the same. I cannot remember the name but its pretty much the shame thing.

There are to many buscuits and coookies in the UK...

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Here's what they look like in case you don't know:

Mmm, so good. Especially the white ones.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
yeah I remember those.

my mother had a boyfriend from Australia that she met through Hardwood Hearts (you know, that online card game version of the classic Hearts by Silvercreek that no one remembers? no? w/e)
and every time he came to visit us here in sweden he would bring with him plenty of Tim Tams, actually for my mother but we kids ate them before she ever had the chance to hide them!

it sucked when they broke up... I don't think I ever recovered from the loss of Tim Tams... *sobs*

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
shadow_Fox81 said:
man but does it grind my gears to hear someone say "Anzac Cookie"

its a biscuit.
ANZAC biscuits actually resemble American cookies, too. Even Americans would never call a Tim Tam a "cookie". Cookies are round!

markisb

May 31, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Here's what they look like in case you don't know:

Mmm, so good. Especially the white ones.
same packaging here in kiwiland except is doesn't have "this is Australia" printed on it. and we dont get the white ones easily here.

OT: and it tastes damn good. might go have some now.

Darwins_Folly

Jan 16, 2010
There was a contest on CBC awhile ago with a host named Tim Tamashiro where he was giving out Tim Tams, so you could win Tim Tam's Tim Tams.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
Dags90 said:
shadow_Fox81 said:

its a biscuit.
ANZAC biscuits actually resemble American cookies, too. Even Americans would never call a Tim Tam a "cookie". Cookies are round!
while you make an excellent point...

No, no, no no no. Anzac Biscuits are always dodgy home made afairs(so more blob shape) and given the name "Anzac" its just wrong to use cookie to describe them. Just the a word originating from what i see as the american popular language cannot be used to describe our most cherished and sacred biscuit. I won't allow it.

if you must call it a Bicky but not cookie

Also; (i don't know if you know, i may have assumed you knew this already because its common knowledge in aus) Australian NewZealand Army Corps(anzac) biscuit

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
shadow_Fox81 said:
No, no, no no no. Anzac Biscuits are always dodgy home made afairs(so more blob shape) and given the name "Anzac" its just wrong to use cookie to describe them. Just the a word originating from what i see as the american popular language cannot be used to describe our most cherished and sacred biscuit. I won't allow it.
In Australia it's only a 'cookie' if that's part of the brand name. I am not above withholding baked treats from small children if they use the word 'cookie' when asking for a biscuit. They must be taught early.

I've also been known to punch people who call ANZAC biscuits 'cookies'... Especially if it's ANZAC Day and I've been drinking since the Dawn Service (and it's not a proper Dawn Service if you aren't sharing around a hip flask of rum).

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
shadow_Fox81 said:
Dags90 said:
Yes. I was in a mixed Aus/US guild in WoW and we had many a spirited debate about proper cookies/biscuit terminology.

its a biscuit.
Nah, <spoiler=these are biscuits>http://www.eatfoo.com/files/images/20080315_-_buttermilk_biscuits/IMG_1805.jpg

Note that despite the similar appearance, American biscuits, which are basically a kind of fluffy, crumbly bread, are not the same thing as scones, which have a similar shape and texture, but are sweet and pastry-like.

OT: I can honestly say that I've never heard of Tim Tams, which is interesting, because they're made by Pepperidge Farms. The person who said it was an American company wasn't kidding.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
shadow_Fox81 said:
Dags90 said:
Yes. I was in a mixed Aus/US guild in WoW and we had many a spirited debate about proper cookies/biscuit terminology.

its a biscuit.
Nah, <spoiler=these are biscuits>http://www.eatfoo.com/files/images/20080315_-_buttermilk_biscuits/IMG_1805.jpg

Note that despite the similar appearance, American biscuits, which are basically a kind of fluffy, crumbly bread, are not the same thing as scones, which have a similar shape and texture, but are sweet and pastry-like.

OT: I can honestly say that I've never heard of Tim Tams, which is interesting, because they're made by Pepperidge Farms. The person who said it was an American company wasn't kidding.
Scones aren't all sweet, you can make savoury scones aswell.