How many times do press the clicker when you lock your car?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
When I first started driving my Dad's car you had to press it twice for a full lock (or hold it down, but I was never entirely sold on that idea). I don't know if that was because the thingy was busted or it was a quirk of the design. I do that by habit now.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
I usually press it twice. Once by reflex without thinking, and once more to make sure I actually locked it and didn't imagine it. My car doesn't beep or honk though, it just flashes the emergency lights twice to let me know I locked it.
Yeah, same. Just one press of the button and you get two little flashes and an audible click from the locking mechanism. Those Japanese car manufacturers are so considerate.

Then again, it'd be funny if it set of a booming note [http://inception.davepedu.com/] every time is was locked or unlocked.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I always click mine twice, sometimes more.

Summerstorm said:
LOL - Clicker?

I do insert my key and turn it. I am lucky my car has a central locking mechanism.

My car is nearly 30 years old...

To the question: If i HAD a wireless thingie... i would probably still use the key... hard to get that out, i would assume.
Yeah when I got my first car with remote locking, I thought that I'd be like that too, only took about 3 days to stop using the key :)

Sep 9, 2007
I press it twice, out of habit. My parents old car had a deadlock style system with the central locking. One click would lock the doors, but they could be undone by lifting the locks manually inside the car. If you clicked it twice, you couldn't unlock it from the inside, which we always did if there was noone in the car.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Once, my current cars deadlocks are rather noisy compared to most standard locks so I know its all locked up correctly.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Once usually. I only hit the button a second time if I'm in a place where I really don't want my car open and I don't hear the locks engage from the first press.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Twice. Pressing it once locks it but doesn't make a sound, pressing it a second time makes a beep, so I listen for that rather than looking back at the car.

My step-brother used to repeatedly hit the lock button like you described, but we all broke him of that annoying habit pretty quickly. I don't know if it's some psychological compulsion, but he did have some other annoying OCD-esque habits, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was related.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Twice. Most cars I use are programmed to lock the doors with one click and activate the alarm with the second. One car does have the single button press to lock and set the alarm but it's also programmed to honk as loud as possible. For some reason though the horn just gives off a low-pitch pathetic blow when I lock it so it's thankfully fairly quiet. The horn works fine at all other times.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
My clicker is a bit tempermental, and doesn't always respond when I press the button. So sometimes I end up pushing it two or three times when once would have sufficed.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Twice.

For some reason my car only likes to lock/unlock two doors at a time, so in order for all four doors to be locked I have to click twice.

It's really weird.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I can do it as many times as I want, mine just makes a lil "thunk" noise as the locking thingos slide into place. Thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Twice, because it's on the second click that it beeps and I can be sure it's all locked.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Once, because my car doesn't beep, it honks. Luckily, it neither honks nor beeps when I unlock it, just flashes it's lights at me.

Captcha: Rhino beetle. I wonder if they honk?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I lock from the inside and pull the handle to confirm it. I only use the remote to lock it if I'm in a serious hurry. Otherwise, I barely press that button.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Twice. The first click seems to only lock the front doors, the second locks them all. It only beeps on the second one. I usually try to be courteous to my neighbors, but sometimes I click the button one to many times and it beeps twice. Only seems to happen when I get off work at eleven too.

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
Normally I don't worry about it too much, but I make sure to double check that my car is locked whenever I go farther downtown. I'll lock it once after I get out, and then once again for good measure just as I'm about to lose sight of it. I see why that might annoy some people, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially when parking on the street in Detroit.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
My girlfriend is paranoid when it comes to security. At worst, she will press the clicker at least three times. Then, from within the house, or from whatever location we happen to be in, if the car is within line of sight through a window, she will press it just one more time. Sometimes she even insists on running out to do it - I usually volunteer to do so instead. I've more or less gotten used to it. At times I wonder whether she does it just to irk me. She is considerate about being too noisy though; she's never done it when it's late out, or when it might annoy someone that might be sleeping.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Twice, because as with most cars the first press only activates the locks, the second one activates the alarm.