How much do you care?

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
I care to little, and yet to much. I care so much that it makes me sick with worries and robs me of sleep. Yet I don't care enough for me to do anything productive about it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I don't feel I have the life experience to answer this question with the amount of seriousness it deserves. My views on a lot of subjects are pretty darn conflicting and at the very least, I've started to notice they are. I'm still working out where I stand, I'll get back to you in a few years, decades, however long it takes. Then the thread will get locked for necroing.

In my small little world, I care about my job and where I'm going with my life, enough to go into work a half hour early every day and stay up late to get work done.

I do not always care about work that I'm not getting paid for. If I say I'm going to draw something for someone for free, it may or may not happen depending on how tired I feel or how long my enthusiasm and self confidence last, I always preface by making no promises.

I care about my family enough to visit them when they want my company or lend an ear when they need to rant. I care about my grandmother, enough to visit her every Sunday. I care about my friends enough to bail them out of trouble early in the morning. In this respect, I'm very happy and I've become closer to these people in recent years than I ever have before.

I will offer the homeless food but not money, I will donate to charity. I get very skeptical if somebody asks me for money in a Walmart parking lot or in front of 7-11.

I care about the stranger crying outside the hospital or the social security office (or anywhere else) enough to ask them what's wrong and offer them momentary comfort.

I care strangely about the person on the other side of the computer screen, not about the stupid thing we're arguing over, but whether they have some issue I don't know about and what if I say something that could hurt them or aggravate it. This concern usually leads to editing my responses or opting not to say anything at all.

I care increasingly about the state of mental health in my country partly because of the situation of one of my best friends whom I met online and now lives with me because his environment and the people around him were toxic. I like to at least lend an ear to those who find themselves in similar situations even if I might not have the power or experience to help them properly, sometimes it helps just to vent.

I will probably regret writing this entire post.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
TheIronRuler said:
So you could care about some things, but choose not to, because you could do nothing to change it? How does that work in your mind? Why not attempt to make a difference is you do care, instead of suppressing the feels?
Ok, well, I'll try and explain it. Half of what I wrote was in jest; but in all honesty, one person's cares can contradict another. I really get callous to all the "causes" in the world - if I gave all I had to all that ask, in caring, I give away everything I then I couldn't provide for myself and my family. I can't stop to care about everyone in the world.

Let me tell you a story...

Years ago I read news sites a lot more often than I do now. While working Military Law Enforcement, I came across a news article about a little girl that had been buried alive by a sicko. She was found clutching her favorite stuffed animal. I thought about my 2 year old daughter, and her favorite stuffed animal and how she loved that thing so much and wouldn't go to sleep unless she was hugging it close to her. It really got to me. I had to put those "cares" out of my mind, especially when dealing with a child abuse cases at work. I couldn't let myself care; I had to put my feelings out of it and gather the facts, make the report, arrest, etc.

Nowdays I spent more time trying to avoid news like that. I mainly read IO9 or Kotaku, occasionally browsing CNN or something but I try to avoid stories that I have no way to do anything about.

So I could ask, if you care about that happening, why haven't you donated to the victim's family? Why aren't you donating money to the cause to prevent child abuse? Why... etc. On and on. Sure, we can "care", but you can't do something about everything - and trying to care about everything is just going to cause worry. Unless you could do something about it.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
There's nothing to regret. It sounds, to me at least, like you try to live a pretty good life. Good for you.

OT: I used to care so much that it took a toll on my health and consumed a lot of my time, then I cared hardly at all, to the point where it ironically ended up doing the same. Blocking everything out didn't help, so I sort of shrank the bigger picture until it only covered a small space inhabited by things I could directly influence. As I got better, I gradually grew that space and started to care more about people as I saw them in a different light. It's gotten rid of much of the guilt and made me pretty happy to be here.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
What do you mean by "care"? Do you just mean to feel compassion or empathy when you see or hear about something? Then yes, I care about a lot of things.

Or do you mean "why don't you spend every minute of your life trying to solve the world's problems?" Because that is a whole 'nother beast. To put it simply, one person simply can't do that much by themselves. You can only give so much before you realize that you aren't taking anything or caring for yourself and your life.

Are there kids in Africa starving? Yes, and I feel for them. Can I do anything? Not really, besides minor things that, while singularly may seem trivial and easy, collectively become tiring and cause stress in my own life if I dedicate too much time to them.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Now this is a good one. I'm not sure I can be completely honest about it though, because my mind hasn't been "right" the past few months. I probably shouldn't even comment on the subject.

So lets say that I care about those that care about me & right now those people are few & far between. Now don't misunderstand, I'm still perfectly happy to lend a hand to a complete stranger, but caring about "world events" can be so tiring.

The world can beat you down & break you & I'm a firm believer that when that starts to happen you just have to stop. Just have to step back, take a deep breath(maybe cuss a little) & reassess your situation. I guess I'm going through one of these "breaks" right now & I'm much happier only caring about my little bubble right now. I think it's just necessary to stay sane.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I used to care a lot
I cared so much that most fucked up SJWs would think I'm insane
But... then I grew up
I realized that I can't influence the world, by nagging and complaining about how things should be
I realized that I can't police people's thoughts
I realized that words and intentions mean jack shit, actions and results are what matter
I realized that I'm so imperfect I can't consider myself superior to most people
I realized that my standards can't be applied to everyone, since circumstances differ
I realized that people make mistakes, and I'm not different
I realized that there are stupid, intellectually limited and mentally damaged people out there, and in most cases that isn't their fault
I realized that if I ever want to improve life of at least some people I need to first improve myself and prove myself to society by real actions and achievements
And I realized that above that all truth&objectivity matter, even if it will destroy you.
So at this point truth and objective facts are what I care about the most

Qwurty2.0 said:
shrekfan246 said:
Code:
I care about nothing.

I am a heartless, soulless automaton designed to spread J-Pop and discuss relatively low-stakes subjects on video game internet forums.

Everything else is so much white noise in my sound receptors.

Good day.
I don't pretend bad things aren't happening, but most of the time I don't actively dwell on them either. Generally speaking, I try to mostly concern myself with things which directly impact me. If I tried to care about everything wrong with everyone in the world, I'd go mad.

Which isn't to say I don't care, in the sense that I acknowledge "these things" are bad and wish I could do something to make it better. But I can't. So, oh well.

Have some Kyary.

Code:
if (canMakeDifference == True) {
.....ICare();
.....DoSomething(actionsToDo[2]);
}
else {
.....ContinueWithLife(beHappy = True);
}

PlayRealMusic([URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogMNV33AhCY"]AwesomeSongs[19][/URL]);

return 0;
Allrigh, that made my day :D
Thank you both!

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I used to care, until I realized I was doing it too much, and had migraines for over a decade because of it.

I still have sympathy for younger people and animals, since they do not have much say in what happens to them. Most adults in a bad situation I just think "Well cause and effect really sucked for that guy".

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Dimitriov said:
Do you believe that caring about others is a good thing? Why? and is that an easy question to answer for you?
Yes. My happiness is no more important than theirs. Happiness is an objective good. The more happiness there is in the world, the better a world it is. It's the prisoner's dilemma taken to it's logical conclusion.

Of course, it's not always possible to follow this. I'm only human. But I don't pretend my weaknesses are a good thing.

A stranger's happiness doesn't make me happy, their sadness doesn't make me sad. So why would I care?
This is the crux of the matter. For a lot of people, a stranger's happiness does make them happy. It's called "empathy". It's a real, observable thing.

Or, if your question was simply directed at my final sentence, because it seems unreasonable and illogical to me. Why would I trust someone whom I am fundamentally unable to understand?

Edit: Heck! I would go so far as to add that it almost seems dishonest to me. At the other end selfishness isn't a particularly endearing quality, but at least it's straightforward.
Honestly, I don't think you understand the concept of "trust". Trust is when you believe that a person will help you, even when it'd benefit them more to throw you under the bus.

You might find selfish people more predictable, but the idea of them being more trustworthy is laughable.

deadguy

Aug 22, 2009
TWRule said:
So no, I don't spend an awful lot of time thinking about or trying to help others with material or political aid. I'm less concerned that the man sleeping on the street is physically homeless or malnourished than I am that even if I provided him a warm bed and meal, he might still be profoundly alienated, lonely, bored, anxious, without any sense of direction or fulfillment. I'd rather I could offer his spirit a home and hearth rather than his body a house. Currently, I cannot make any such offer, so I leave him be. Were I in his situation, I would expect the same without bitterness, but with understanding.
Sounds like someone isn't familiar with Maslow's Heirachy of Needs!

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I care about myself and my family and that is about it really. No matter what people try and tell me, I cannot bring myself to care all that much about religion and politics, as I find all politicians to be the same (at least I find it quite difficult to tell the main political parties apart at least) and as for religion, I am of the belief that you follow whatever god (or gods) you want to follow if that is what makes you happy. I am a rather boring person really.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011

Seriously though, for me to care, something must be very close to my heart, so more often than not I come across as uncaring or jaded. Make no mistake, however: if I care about something, I do so immensely.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
How much do I care? Very little. I cannot bring myself to care about other people's plight and problems. That is not to say I won't lend a sympathetic ear to someone who wants to share, I just don't empathise as much as others might. As far as religion goes, I'm not a believer and I couldn't care less what others choose to believe in. Politics is much the same: we're going to get stuffed on one thing or another no matter who is in power. And what sexuality someone is is of no concern to me.

I have a few select friends and family members who I genuinely care for and will make an effort for. I care about myself and my progress to getting back to the country where I want to be (not England). I care about the cricket scores (and rugby for that matter). I also take pride in my work so I try to make sure I do a good job whenever I'm asked to do something. But overall I'm pretty self-absorbed (like most people, I guess) and what doesn't directly affect (effect? whatever...) me on a day to day basic is background noise to me.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I care for whatever and whomever I can relate with. So I tend to care way too much and too little at the same time.
I'll feel bad for say, some stranger who lost a pet or who's family member is suffering from cancer.
I can't relate to someone who's partner is cheating on them or who is handicapped in someway.

God, that just made me sound really selfish.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Whether or not I care depends on whether or not caring is in accordance with my calculations as a survival engine.

IF caring/doing something has EITHER: the greatest survival value (for me personally) OR the greatest happiness value (usually for me personally, but sometimes for the sake of someone whose happiness or unhappiness might impact my own), THEN sure, I'll care.

If caring/doing something about something is likely to end in a net reduction of my happiness value or has a lower survival value than not caring, then I probably won't.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Candidus said:
Whether or not I care depends on whether or not caring is in accordance with my calculations as a survival engine.

IF caring/doing something has EITHER: the greatest survival value (for me personally) OR the greatest happiness value (usually for me personally, but sometimes for the sake of someone whose happiness or unhappiness might impact my own), THEN sure, I'll care.

If caring/doing something about something is likely to end in a net reduction of my happiness value or has a lower survival value than not caring, then I probably won't.
Are you man or machine? I don't understand what you're talking about. You care if you become happy by caring, then? Your sympathy is in direct correlation with your happiness?

Jun 11, 2014
Incoming incompetent post. Incoming what I'm assuming to be mostly off topic for the thread but I wrote this in haste. And I'm going to post it because I don't give a dam for this hour. It should be noted that going into this. The topic I think you were touching on was relating to others pain and I'm something of a person who wants to be good to people as much as possible and I don't think before I talk. I'm a compassionate idiot some of the time. I mean honestly if I were too talk about this very general topic that is "How much do you feel" I'd have to go into great depths I mean how much can you feel and about what the question is so broad. Its great forum bait. Got me.

If you count your blessings all the time you'll be happy with next to nothing.
Its possible that we live in a world where money is tied to guilt and the ability to see things created, to have the ability to see things in the natural world is fairly hard to come by. If we all stooped and become foragers and farmers I narrowly certain we'd eat everything in sight. We are at a precipice as I'm sure many people have believed since the dawn of simple tools. We are in a position where we can feed people. Where people protest and care assured that their voices wont make much of a difference where caring can lead to hasty actions that will be used to justify a great deal of things. We are in a place where a whole lot of stuff could happen.

Media saturation and moving forward with popular culture and expression on an individual basis.
The tools to create all sorts of arts have and become more so accessible as years go on.
Culture can be easily divided on petty differences and its sad to say that we give these ideas more power by focusing on them.
The individuals who can help provide the means to utilize the benefits of and teach others to understand the technologies we could use to benefit everyone. Things like self sustaining low maintenance green houses that only require nutrient cartridges could be developed and installed in any home that would ask for them.

Almost indestructible water proof lab tops with subjects from human anatomy to step by step instructions on how electrical work in your home could be thrown into everybody yard. non lethal warfare. Put more defense in defense more ability to intercept missiles than launch them immobilize tanks with adhesive.

I see these problems and the pain in the world and I say
Teach a man to fish. Until there is no fish.
But yeah. Teach a man to fish.

I'll probably be back here to read some of the posts when I'm not being an idiot.
I mean these are some things I care about. Hopeful. Ideas. Help me not be pissed. Grr I'm such a mean human individual.
I'll try to post better in the future, try not to add more to the post by talking about the post. But what is a post unless it is being thought upon? and a post that thinks upon its self.... is a post.. that wastes more of your time.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
"Teach a man to fish. Until there is no fish."
LOVED IT.
The only think i truly care is for the big nothing in the sky, i go to sleep everyday whispering to myself, it doesnt punish it doesnt reward, the only reason why i wake up everyday is the cruel feeling that we are all wrong and diseased, and were going away, i dont want people to be right anymore, im waiting for us to go away, and maybe then whatever comes next will have a better chance.
But in the meantime, ill grab some popcorn and a Coke and watch the world lit itself on fire.

CAPTCHA: practice makes perfect....
INDEED

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I care only to the extent where I know I can help someone to a decent degree. Going beyond that is pointless.

I also care about certain concepts, or morals. Honesty, dignity, integrity, responsibility, respect, honour, fairness, all these things I hold fairly high and try to uphold. If someone I meet has none of these, in all likelihood I'm not going to get along with them.