How much further can humans evolve?

EradiusLore

Jun 29, 2010
we will probably evolve to better suit machines and computers doing 80% of our work for us. so maybe we will grow weaker but much smarter

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Not significantly. Survival selection in most of the world is effectively done; we've conquered our environment so thoroughly that nothing particularly threatens us anymore.

A really major new disease might have some minor shift in genetics in the survivors, but barring a complete societal collapse as a result, modern medicine will cure it before it can really winnow through the gene pool.

Some minor selection for secondary characteristics is ongoing (appearance, intellect, etc), but that would take an exceedingly long time to really shift the genome as a whole, and there's enough hybridization among the various ethnic groups and randomness in that part of the gene pool anyway as to keep it from making any truly significant headway.

The next true stage of human evolution will be the one we enact upon ourselves through genetic engineering.

ScareJester

Jan 23, 2011
We are evolving, but far slower than we could be.

Evolution is a selective progress, where bad genes are breeded away. But, due to keeping idiots doing things that would kill them and thus allowing their genes to passed on to future generations, we are held back from actually evolving. I believe that if certain people were stopped from having children (e.a. Paris Hilton, plain idiots (which, while I think about it, involves Paris) and people disabilities) we'd evolve better and quicker.

I'm not saying shoot them, but if we'd keep them from getting kids, the future human race would be far better than what we have now.

Burntpopcarn

May 29, 2011
Geez, we really HAVE come a long way. next thing we know we'll all have instant messaging communicators implanted into our brain and everyone has a portable laser rifle. the times they are a-changin'.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Dominic Burchnall said:
This is just a thought which came to me the other day. I was looking out the window of the bus and realised how far humanity has come since the early days. Scientific and technological advancements have compensated for nearly all our shortcomings. Cars, heavy machinery, computers, medical achievements, have allowed us to become lords of the planet.
Then a thought struck me; have we taken ourselves outside of evolution? Wild animals have predation, harsh weather conditions, foraging or hunting for food, sickness, and a myriad other worries, but for humans, dangerous animals can be repelled or destroyed, houses (and in extreme cases, bunkers) protect us from the weather, or food is easier to access than ever, and we have a greater understanding of diseases and inherent frailties and how to compensate for them than ever before. So I wonder, do humans have ANY remaining evolutionary pressures, in the First World climate at least, and if so what traits would they select for?
well humans need to be stronger more intelligent and have a resistance to several natural diseases eg diabetes

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Well, we'll eventually lose most body hair, our toes will recede further, we'll lose toe/finger nails. At least I think so, considering they all serve little point in our day-to-day lives. Our fingers will likely get stronger and longer, too.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Slayer_2 said:
Well, we'll eventually lose most body hair, our toes will recede further, we'll lose toe/finger nails. At least I think so, considering they all serve little point in our day-to-day lives. Our fingers will likely get stronger and longer, too.
This was pretty much what I was going to say. Of course, I was also thinking that we might grow a sixth or seventh finger... somehow.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Red heads are a dying breed. I assume our pinky toe and pinky finger will vanish since the same happened to horses all those millions of years ago.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
indefinitely.

Perfection is impossible. There's always a more optimal way to live. Humans are FAAAR from optimal. Evolution will never stop.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Zeriu said:
who told you there was a progress bar on evolution?
Spore, it also tells me that I can grow a beak and dragon wings in a generation.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
the big issue really is the success rate of humans is unfathomably high, it's change that causes death that is the most prominent factor in evolution, not just the mutation effect by itself
really, by the time a species can build computers and have 50% + leisure time, they no longer need to evolve, but they will continue to mutate for sure

the main thing we will see is the blending of the races into one ubergene race, the problem is, by comparison mutations will seem ever more bizzare as everyone comes toward a singular gene pool, and that will happen because eventually you will have a member of each race in your family and therefore, all the genes
( still in varying amounts, mind we won't all look identical just similar )
it's going to take a long time, probably thousands of years seems like a reasonable number
if we last that long that is

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
We will continue to evolve according to the environment. The only thing that can stop evolution is extinction

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I don't see why technology is going to limit us at all from evolution. In fact, technology will force us to evolve faster.

Over thousands of years, environmental settings and daily physical activity will influence the human body. For instance, most low-lying Asians are significantly shorter, more stubby, backs are slightly different. This is because they've been farming for a lot longer than the Western world has been - they may have been farming since 12,000 years ago, while the West may have been farming since 8,000 years ago, and in some areas, maybe only 5,000 years ago. Their rice-based diet has affected their physiology rather significantly. In another example, an Asian exception, the Nepalese actually have a very different breathing mechanic than most humans, due to their living in a much higher elevation than everyone else. Our bodies have become used to gluten, as someone may have mentioned already.

With the advent of new technology, we may experience more interesting changes to humanity over time. We will always adapt to new settings and new tools, the question is when we get to the point where our bodies rely on such technologies, and if these technologies disappear, then what happens to us?

Anyway, if you want possible changes to us, there's a whole section on biomodification and implanting mechanical parts into our bodies, which is an ongoing process. As for natural modifications, I imagine smaller, nimbler fingers for factory work would be the most technology-driven evolution we may experience.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
we will not evolve any further.(period)

reason number 1
for evolution there must be natural selection
but we humans developed such a strong social composition that we work actively against natural selection(you know with keeping all the sick, disabled, retarded people alive...)

reason number 2
evolution takes time, much time
but since our technology is evolving much faster than we are it will outrun natural evolution
i'm talking augmentation a la deus ex here
humans won't wait for evolution to give them wings...we build flying machines