How Much of a Savegame Coward Are You?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Solar 2. I pretty much have to before those stupid nomad ships laser away my hard earned mass. You'll have to buy it to know what I'm talking about. It's a $5 indie game, so it's probably in your price range.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I also tend to save a lot in games before I do something that might be "morally" wrong with consequences... Like stealing in games like Oblivion. I'll slip into a house and steal or murder the occupants, but I'll save first, in case I get caught.

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
In human revolution i probly had about 100 saves , i saved alot at the begging when i was getting used to things then i just saved after everyside misson or half way through a main misson

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Im that way in my emulated games i save state constantly to avoid losing anything.

Finbark

Jul 24, 2008
Since everyone seems to be using DE:HR as an example, I will too. I am definitely not a save game junky, at least not in HR. In fact, I didn't even know there was a quicksave feature in the console version until I left Detroit, and even then I didn't use it. I really want my first run through to be as immersive as possible.
Like when you have the chance to convince Tong to reveal himself through conversation, I fucked it up and missed out on the achievement. I didn't reload the save though, I just decided to roll with it and go talk to the bartender for the backup quest. Then I fucked that up. I'm also trying to do a stealthy run, but I won't reload when I get caught. This makes getting through rooms a lot less frustrating.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Fallout i save very often, mostly because the game crashes every so often, not out of difficulty.

One game i mashed the auto-save like crazy was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , man all 3 were brutal...

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I don't revert to saved games when I mess up in a game, I typically just roll with the consequences. However, when I was playing Half-Life 2 on the Nova Prospekt level, I made it though most of the level with only 5 health, because I kept hammering the quick-save button practically every five feet. I couldn't find any health packs so my only option was to quick save every single time I killed an enemy and take them out one by one.

Pr1de

Dec 14, 2010
I used to play a game for several hours without saving but after playing FF: Tactics Advanced for 14 hours straight (PS3 broke and I was on a 4 day weekend with no money) and fighting a battle I wasn't prepared for, I quickly learned to save as often as possible. Oblivion was one of the worst, Shogun 2 is right up there too.

Pr1de

Dec 14, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Solar 2. I pretty much have to before those stupid nomad ships laser away my hard earned mass. You'll have to buy it to know what I'm talking about. It's a $5 indie game, so it's probably in your price range.
Great game, some of the challenges are incredibly hard. Like holding off about 50 nomad ships, the fully upgraded ones, as a sun. I just kept running until they where either taken out by other solar systems or crashed

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Most of the time, yes. However, the main reason I save games so often is because I'm far too lazy to redo a series or a long chain of quests (etc) once I've already completed them.

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
It depends on the game, but usually I save really often. I got a bit lazy and over-confident for a while, but New Vegas soon cured that. Keeps crashing when you least expect it... I'd rather save too much than redo stuff.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Pr1de said:
I used to play a game for several hours without saving but after playing FF: Tactics Advanced for 14 hours straight (PS3 broke and I was on a 4 day weekend with no money) and fighting a battle I wasn't prepared for, I quickly learned to save as often as possible. Oblivion was one of the worst, Shogun 2 is right up there too.
The Total War games in general are my worst offenders, but thats generally because of that whole problem with the enemy AI that they've only just got to grips with. I always felt I had to in case that ally i've had next door for 200 years with a perfect record and great trade relations had a spaz attack and decided to attack me.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Uh. I have like 13 copies of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and wrote a script to savescum by copying the directory and all save files in it to a new location.

I don't think I'd have 600+ saves in Detroit but I have yet to boot up Deus Ex: HR yet.

I had well over 300 in Fallout 3, not including quicksaves.

Doom 3, I think I pressed quicksave more than the fire button...

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Images said:
Recently when playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution I had several moments where I realised I am a total savegame coward. Basically, I was playing the game as a ninja type and was enjoying the classic Monty Python pastime "how not to be seen". However every now and then whenever I failed and got a guard's attention I quickly hit the escape button and loaded to several seconds or a couple of minutes earlier and tried again. Now in many of these cases I could probably have killed everyone who did see me quickly with only a medium amount of noise but I didn't want that damn it! I wanted to be a ninja (not even for an achievement, simply ego). It then came to me that I do that incredibly often, anything less than complete perfection and BAM hit the escape button and load. I swear I've probably ruined most my gaming experiences with tension rather than just rolling with the punches and enjoying the thrill.

Are you a savegame coward?
It's funny because that was my exact experience with Deus Ex today...
Of course the AI is a bit tricky...walk right in front of them, nothing...
walk across a ledge with a bunch of barriers and they spot you from a mile away...go figure
Soooooo many reloads....the game would probably be a lot more fun if I just rolled with the punches and adapted to the situation....but NOOO for some reason it bugs me if I don't ninja the entire level....

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
If anything, I don't save nearly enough. Usually about evey three hours, whcih I payed the price for playing Mass Effect.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I save every time something important happens. If I get a new item: SAVE. I get to a place that took forever to find: save. I beat a boss: save. I am not going back over things again.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I have so many Fallout (3/NV) saves that when I zipped about three quarters of them up and moved them to a different drive I freed up multiple gigs of hard drive space. True story. Part of that, though, is due to wanting events to play out in a way that fits my vision of my character's story.

In other games I'll often try to save right before a decision point or other critical juncture, but nowhere near every five minutes or anything...though sometimes I wish I did.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Save game coward? Since when is saving considered cowardly? I've always viewed it as simply wise, like the gaming equivalent of buckling up in the car. Then again, my earliest gaming experiences WERE Sierra games... in any case, I usually rely on a rotating system of five to eight saves so my save directory doesn't get too cluttered. It also prevents counting my total saves, not that I care anyway.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
In the past.. not at all.. I'd frequently load a game only to find myself miles back because I'd forgotten to save.

Since I got Deus Ex HR? Every time I try anything I hit quicksave...

Of course this is mostly because my power supply was having a heart attack over the last few days and kept rebooting my computer.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I think I only use save games on the original Half-Life, mainly because it feels like ages between 2 autosave sections,

and also because of this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJroK5-eyd8&feature=related]