How much of an age gap is too much?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Where I work I deal with divorces and there are a lot of couples where the age gap is pretty large, the highest i've dealt with is an gap of 23 years and have heard of other cases where the gap it 25 years, sometimes more. I'm 24 so that would mean me ending up marrying someone who isn't even born yet. at the moment, for me, 3 or 4 years is OK but not much more than that.

what do you think? is there a point where it gets a bit creepy, like 19 year olds marrying people 50+ or is age unimportant when it comes to relationships?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Age gaps can become larger and larger as you both age. Silly to think of a 16 year old and a 21 year old, that's a big age, but 22 and 17 a bit less... 25 20? Acceptable.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I think that age difference can effect a relationship but I don't think it can stop two people loving each other. I do think that a really young person marrying a old person is creepy but it's their choice and if it's true love good for them.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
depends if the the older one is male or female. old men can have as big an age gap they want with their younger female partners. but if the female is older then the age gap cant be more that 2-3 years or it becomes gross.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
As long as everyone involved is legally an adult, I guess I can deal with it...

It's still pretty creepy when a nineteen-year-old is dating/married to a fifty-year-old.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I think 4 years is the limit. At least downwards. At least when you're 20 and the other person is 16. Younger than that I'm pretty sure can be counted as paedophilia. if it's someone older... I don't know. I think 4 years might be enough there too. But let's see what everyone else says. A poll might be a good idea. :)

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Half your age + 7 seems to be the accepted lower age band where I am.

If you're younger, just apply it to the other person.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
The only time I think an age gap is too large is when one person in the relationship is no longer alive.

Everything else is fine and dandy as long as they both love each other and don't mind the age gap (Note: both, paedophillia is still bad)

Jan 23, 2010
Easy, X is the older persons age

(X/2)+7= the lowest age its "ok" to date

So if you are 20, it's ok to date someone 17 or older. Math can solve anything!

EDIT: God damned ninjas

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Eponet said:

I was just gonna say when i appearantly was ninja'd!

Heard this on the radio and it seems acceptable in most cases..

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
The Almighty Grigard said:
Easy, X is the older persons age

(X/2)+7= the lowest age its "ok" to date

So if you are 20, it's ok to date someone 17 or older. Math can solve anything!
so if your 80? its ok to date a 47 year old?

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Age isn't really that important. I knew a couple 10 years apart who were together before one of them was even legal, and they stayed together for years.
More than that, I've got a friend my age who's dating a guy twice her age and last I heard she was really happy with him.

So no, I don't think it's that big a deal. It's only a big deal when you're still in school and every last little year counts to prove how much older and more mature you are than your peers.

After about the age of 20 most people I know just stopped giving a shit.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
Eponet said:

This is the rule to go by...

Sovreign

Apr 25, 2009
I believe I trump all of you, though I havent read the entire thread. He is my story.

I go to school to be a diesel mechanic, and there is a wide variety of ages, from kids fresh out of high school, to seasoned mechanics going to learn more about the trade. One of the men I go to school with is 65 and is dating a 21 year old woman. And the real kicker is, she is very pretty, yet she isnt a "gold digger" cause he doesnt have any money. \shrug

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
As long as he/she is over the age of consent in your country/state then all you need worry about is what others think. Age gaps are society imposing limitations on love really. Bit unfair in my opinion.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
The age gap question tends to prove how little humanity has really learned about tolerance. The people who say gay relationships are perfectly fine are often the exact same people sneer at couples with notable age difference (even if both are well over the age of consent).
People at large haven't learned anything but a knee-jerk reaction of tolerance toward certain groups of people, not to be sensible about difference in general.

So yeah, quite a few posts in this thread will be shining examples of why humanity will never stop sucking.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Half the oldest's age + 7 works as a rule of thumb for younger relationships, but really, if it's over the age of consent, who am I to judge?

EDIT: I seem to have been ninja'd. One day, I shall become the ninja, as opposed to the ninjee. >_>