How much of an age gap is too much?

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
As long as it is legal, I don't have a problem with it.
I make allowances for, like, two years difference, though. Someone who is, say, nineteen going out with a seventeen year old. That is not so bad.
Thirty year old with a sixteen year old is just wrong, though. They have no excuse.

My mum is with a dude about twenty years younger than her, and I don't see why I should have a problem with it. If they want to be together, that is their business. My sister feels differently, but she is a stupid ***** so her opinion does not matter.

Aug 25, 2009
I don't tend to get creeped out by other people's relationships, but for me I couldn't go more than five years older or about three years younger. Any younger than three years and they're either my sister's age or younger, which just creeps me out for some reason.

My parents are about ten months apart and were in the same class in high school and everything, which has kind of skewed my view on the world.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Thinking in terms of older - younger when you have something like 25 and 20 then you're thinking 'wow I'd be dating a 15 year old if I were 20' isn't really practical. Once both people have reached maturity, which in most countries coincides with 'age of consent' everything's alright. As long as we don't have scenarios like that movie 'Water' where a 9 year old's parents set their kid up to marry a 50 year old rich fellow.

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
Once your both adults (basically means 21 in the States due to drinking laws) it shouldn't really matter. After that, it's just a matter of the usual problems marriages face.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
look at the Anna Nicole smith age gap test
which shows that there is no such thing as a age gap
and that its actually a cultural difference between people, for all the people who don't know what that means
it means its all in your head

RIOgreatescapist

Nov 9, 2009
Its all props to the man though. If your dating a younger chick grats you're on the youth league if its a older one grats aswell you're on the uefa milf championship.

(Dno how it works for women if someone wants to enlighten me be my guests)

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
katsumoto03 said:
As long as everyone involved is legally an adult, I guess I can deal with it...

It's still pretty creepy when a nineteen-year-old is dating/married to a fifty-year-old.
More worse, their Grandparent or something.

OT: The most age gap I can handle is 10-15 years, other than that, it's creepy.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010

Edit: Lovely, it seems people have ninja'd me quite heavily, just without using the comic.

That said, I think it starts to get creepy when the age difference exceeds 15 years. It depends on the age of the couple though.

Mar 9, 2010
Eponet said:
Half your age + 7 seems to be the accepted lower age band where I am.

If you're younger, just apply it to the other person.
That's the rule. So what this guy said, except it only applies to the oldest person. Any halves are rounded down, you don't want to limit yourself too much and it is logic.

It is actually the most accurate rule you will get so I'd follow it as best you can.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
PureChaos said:
Where I work I deal with divorces and there are a lot of couples where the age gap is pretty large, the highest i've dealt with is an gap of 23 years and have heard of other cases where the gap it 25 years, sometimes more. I'm 24 so that would mean me ending up marrying someone who isn't even born yet. at the moment, for me, 3 or 4 years is OK but not much more than that.

what do you think? is there a point where it gets a bit creepy, like 19 year olds marrying people 50+ or is age unimportant when it comes to relationships?
Well my friends' mom who is 41 is dating a guy who is 69!
I couldn't believe it but if they're in love, they're in love.
what can you do about it?

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Already been ninja'd to it. The rule is half your age plus 7. It's a pretty good rule.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
It depends on the age of the people, obviously. Older they are, bigger the gaps can be, as both are already mature. If the partners are in different stages of their life, the relationship will be harder.

I know a 80+ lady who is so active she could easily date a 50 year old, she has plenty of energy. Health is a big issue with older people, her previous partner died, despite being a lot younger than her, but now she is looking for someone new.

Matt-the-twat

Sep 13, 2009
I was just thinking about this question after hearing that the 'latest A list romance' between Jake Gylenhaal and Taylor Swift there is a 10 year age gap.