How much revision can you manage a day?

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Revision as in rewriting?

Not quite sure I understand. It depends entirely on the paper, I may spend only a couple hours rewriting a five page paper, and then spend three days rewriting a twenty page one.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm in the same position as you, although good fucking luck if you're seriously only starting with a week left. Been doing about 4 hours a day - it's been a struggle, to say the least.

Doing English Lit, History, and Politics. Applied to do English Lit at Glasgow or Goldsmiths (London).

The best thing, I've found, is to write up a list of revision tasks you want to get done, point a few out to get done each day, and then cross them off as you go. It beats the stagnating, "I'm not fucking doing anything!!!!" feeling that I always get from revising.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Negative amounts.
Every 4 or 5 days I might do an hour or so until I'm 3 days away from the exam at which point I'll do a bit more.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Woodsey said:
I'm in the same position as you, although good fucking luck if you're seriously only starting with a week left. Been doing about 4 hours a day - it's been a struggle, to say the least.

Doing English Lit, History, and Politics. Applied to do English Lit at Glasgow or Goldsmiths (London).

The best thing, I've found, is to write up a list of revision tasks you want to get done, point a few out to get done each day, and then cross them off as you go. It beats the stagnating, "I'm not fucking doing anything!!!!" feeling that I always get from revising.
Replace lit with lit & lang and we're doing the exact same subjects. Are you doing International Relations in history?

I started revising (what I consider) intensely on Sunday, but I have been doing some revision for the last couple of weeks. Mostly I was learning key terms in English/Politics and dates in History.

Your revision technique is similar to mine too. I'll try and write down precise notes on a subject, then every 20-so minutes I'll test myself to make sure it's all gone in.

Matthew94 said:
Lethos said:
According to the denizens of places such as 'The Student Room', the average amount of hours is between 6-7.
If you believe everything on that forum everyone gets 5 A*s and they are all going to Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial.

Ignore them.
Yeah the place does seem to be rampant with liars, I'm just surprised by the amount. Literally every single person saying they're doing 8+ hours a day. Some even saying they do 11 hours. I guess it's because of the reasons Melon Hunter outlined, but I would still expect there to be occasional people being realistic.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Lethos said:
Woodsey said:

Replace lit with lit & lang and we're doing the exact same subjects. Are you doing International Relations in history?

I started revising (what I consider) intensely on Sunday, but I have been doing some revision for the last couple of weeks. Mostly I was learning key terms in English/Politics and dates in History.

Your revision technique is similar to mine too. I'll try and write down precise notes on a subject, then every 20-so minutes I'll test myself to make sure it's all gone in.

Matthew94 said:
Lethos said:
According to the denizens of places such as 'The Student Room', the average amount of hours is between 6-7.
If you believe everything on that forum everyone gets 5 A*s and they are all going to Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial.

Ignore them.
Yeah the place does seem to be rampant with liars, I'm just surprised by the amount. Literally every single person saying they're doing 8+ hours a day. Some even saying they do 11 hours. I guess it's because of the reasons Melon Hunter outlined, but I would still expect there to be occasional people being realistic.
Nah, British History 1865-1915. S'alright, the exam is quite well structured. Answer two of three questions, one is on domestic polices, one is on problems in Ireland, one is on foreign policy. And since foreign policy is a fucking *****, I can mostly just revise the other two.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
none, i can't revise and i specifically enter courses where its all written work and practical with no tests and/or exams. i had to try a second time on both maths and english because of my dyslexia and ADHD so my attention span is very short unless i'm interested in it.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Woodsey said:
Nah, British History 1865-1915. S'alright, the exam is quite well structured. Answer two of three questions, one is on domestic polices, one is on problems in Ireland, one is on foreign policy. And since foreign policy is a fucking *****, I can mostly just revise the other two.
Same as mine then, except mines on the Cold War and the questions could be on anything in the syllabus.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well back in my days (around the birth of broadband) I think I did somewhere 4-6 hours of revision during school days. I split it into two subjects revision when it was my GCSE. It also depend if any of my favourite shows are on as I used those as my break time.
If I had no school or it's teh weekend then I spend several hours revising while taking a few breaks.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Lethos said:
Woodsey said:
Same as mine then, except mines on the Cold War and the questions could be on anything in the syllabus.
Is it AQA or Edexcel? Mine's AQA. And yeah, it doesn't help too much - I could still get a ***** of a question on Ireland or domestic policy, but broad strokes, it helps focus you a little.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Haha, oh man; I could never revise. The only thing I really revised for was a Technology and Design GCSE (that was a wee while ago) for three hours in total.

When it was coming up to my ICT A2, I kept thinking to myself, 'I should probably flick through my text book'. Eventually, I opened it and it just so happened that the page I opened to had a screen grab of Dizzy, one of the yolkfolk from 'The Fantastic World of Dizzy' and I straight up thought, 'Hey! Wouldn't mind having a wee go!'

What? I intended to start revising for it then the text book itself got me distracted. Who would have guessed?

Anyway, I normally crammed (if even; depending on how confident I was/actually cared about the subject in question) a night or two before, then I'd do maybe <5 hours total. I can't help but snigger at the thought of me doing four or five hours in one sitting, even three most of the time.

I'd say those people are certainly 'bullshitting' you to make themselves feel better. I bet you're supposed to be revising right now too, huh? :p

marrrk said:
Listen to this one; S/He speaks a lot of sense here.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Woodsey said:
Lethos said:
Woodsey said:
Is it AQA or Edexcel? Mine's AQA. And yeah, it doesn't help too much - I could still get a ***** of a question on Ireland or domestic policy, but broad strokes, it helps focus you a little.
I'm pretty sure mines AQA.....although it could be Edexcel. We're given two 'depth' questions wish will focus on any 10 year period, and one 'breadth' question which focuses on the entire 1945-2004.

Did you have coursework as well? Ours was on the American Civil Rights movement.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I did next to nothing. About 2 hours a day at most, usually about an hour a day. Still got ABC, enough to get me in to study Chemistry. 7 hours a day is just bloody stupid, you'll have to force yourself to do it, you won't be able to concentrate and you won't remember any of it. Quality over quantity.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
If you're including homework and such in revising, then I spend about 3-4 hours a day on that. When exams start getting closer, I generally add about 5-6 hours of actual studying as well, depending on how confident I am with the material.

As for if this is average or not, it depends on the student and the school. A lot of people get the material easily and don't need to spend as much time on it. As the courses get more and more difficult, however, the average studying time will increase. I go to a pretty high level engineering college, and I can tell you that students spending 6-7 hours a day studying is fairly common.

BakedAlaskan

Aug 31, 2011
You should expect to put in 6-9 hours a day if you are revising and aiming for 3As. Study leave means you should replace the day at school with an effective bout of revision.

People who work full-time tend to work 8 hours, its a fair amount of work for a day!
Its your A-levels and they kinda count. Imagine the shitter uni you might end up in...

Whether its History or Physics, there's no shortage of things you can be doing. Can't see how 3 hours a day will get you in a zone where you won't feel pressured at the start of uni next term. It is not at all like A-levels. Ramp it up for a few weeks, enjoy your 9-12 week holidays and get those 3As.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I didn't revise. Well, not properly for any decent stretch of time.

Nothing worked. I had no self control. If I thought of something I wanted to do, I'd stop myself for as long as possible, then do it.

Still got into uni though. Aim low xD

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I can't revise, I don't know why I just can't do it. My revision attempts are nothing more than me flicking through textbooks going 'I know this, and this, and this...' I reckon I spend less than 2 hours a day revising during exam periods. The rest of my time is spent gaming, or sitting with a textbook open whilst talking to my friends on skype, and not actually reading any of it.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
I'm doing AS, I normally start revising about two weeks before my exams, and don't do more than an hour a day, unless I'm doing a mock, in which case I do however long it takes to do the mock, and I got AAB in my January exams.

I try to cram about 6 hours the day before each exam.

I honestly don't believe for a second that the average is 6-7 hours.

Everyone needs a different amount of revision, depending on how naturally intelligent they are and what grades they want, so I cant really say how much you should do. Just revise until you know everything

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I usually work about 8 hours per day the 5 days before an exam. I like getting into the "studying mood", reading and doing problems until my head can't take it anymore :p

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Huh... I don't think I've ever studied more than an hour or two for any test. The university-level exams (SAT and ACT here in the States) I didn't even bother studying for and got perfect or near-perfect scores on them (Except for the SAT reading comprehension... Damn thing asked for the definitions of "big" words, then put two correct answers in the multiple choice. Ended up getting a perfect score on the ACT version of the same because they actually made the test fair). Once I got into the advanced mathematics courses (calc, differential equations, etc) I ended up studying an hour or two per day on top of homework and came out alright, but I never bothered to do any more than that. Then I switched majors to English and never had to study again.

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
Studying for the last exam of the semester now myself (it's tomorrow), and for the last week or so I've done roughly 10 hours per day. I generally spend an hour reading, and then take a 30 minute break to play a round of BF3, get something to eat or do something else, and then return to reading. Rinse and repeat for 15-16 hours per day.

My style of exam preparations can be classified as cramming. This is mostly because until the last week/10 days before the exams, I'm not worried enough to get around to reading, and rely upon my godlike skills at procrastination to find other things to waste my time doing.

Though I'm more stressed out about exams now that I'm doing my Master's degree than I was when I was in high school.

Captcha: push on

It reads my mind! Only a few more hours of dull papers left! :|