How often does it rain in london, england during summer?

Soveru

Jul 12, 2010
I'm heading to london in a few days so I was wondering if any fellow escapists living in London could tell me how often it rains there and if it does, how heavy it is

monojono

Sep 3, 2009
I'm about an hour away from london, and we have had rain for a few days here but are expecting it to be and dry and sunny for the rest of this week. I would bring a coat, but you probably won't see anything worse than a light shower, and if you're lucky it will be sunny (of course, if you stay in England long enough you will eventually see plenty of rain, even in June)

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I'm in London, we had MAD rain yesterday, but...it's really not normally that much.
*shrug* The rain's about as much as it is anywhere else really, nothing amazing. It's not really that frequent. This summer's set to be a good one though, if the past few weeks are anything to go by.

But then again, it could be 40 degrees and sunny, or it could be 10 and torrential rain, eh? xD. You'll prolly end up seeing a light shower though, as monojono said.
Enjoy your visit, mate!

TheAmokz

Apr 10, 2011
monojono said:
I'm about an hour away from london, and we have had rain for a few days here but are expecting it to be and dry and sunny for the rest of this week. I would bring a coat, but you probably won't see anything worse than a light shower, and if you're lucky it will be sunny (of course, if you stay in England long enough you will eventually see plenty of rain, even in June)
Sunny? In England? Surely you are jesting my good lad!

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Pal, it's England.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but literally anything can happen with the weather in the space of a few days.

One minute it's pleasant sunshine and mild temperatures, next minute, bam! the clouds come over, the sky turns gray and you're about to get very wet. Then by dinner time it's all cleared up and you're all set for a decent evening.

I dont know if that happens in London a lot 'cos I don't live there, but most places here, weather changes pretty fast.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
The weather over here can not make up it's mind, like Wadders said.

Also, you reminded me of a kid on a plane who was sat behind me. I'd just got back from my holiday in florida (awesome place btw) and the kid was American who was coming over here for a holiday/vacation.

Anyway as we landed back in Bristol airport it was pissing it down and the kid complained "It's raining! But it never rains in England!" To which my reponse was to laugh hard whlist the kid thought I was mad. Ah... Fun times.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Britain is notorious for trying to predict the weather because we have pretty much every major air current converging right on top of us, but lately it's been pretty dry. But I'd suggest at least taking a coat.

monojono

Sep 3, 2009
TheAmokz said:
monojono said:
Sunny? In England? Surely you are jesting my good lad!
It happened once, I'm sure of it! Or was that just a beautiful dream...it's been so long, I can't remember :)

Spitfirex11

Jun 3, 2011
Guys above are right, it pretty much does anything, anytime. Had some days recently of intense heat and then yesterday was rain pretty much through the afternoon and night.
The way I see it is you can always carry a coat if you bring one. Have fun.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Wadders said:
I'm sorry to tell you this, but literally anything can happen with the weather in the space of a few days.
What this guy said.

My advice? Take it as it comes. You'll want to have waterproofs and/or an umbrella on you at all times, though.

It's not exactly glamorous, but I feel as though us Brits have kinda stopped caring about that now. xD

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
As with replies previous to mine: bring a coat... don't need a big one, just a jacket when the days get a little chilly (today being a good example of that). And an umbrella.

To answer your question: sporadically... or rather, whenever it feels like falling.

Enjoy your holiday...