How old is too old to be a gamer?

AuldMan

Feb 25, 2015
I'm in my mid 60's and have been gaming since the late 1970's. The kids grew up gaming and the grandkids will grow up with a controller in their hands. You are never too old or too young to play games.

atomic304

Feb 28, 2015
That's like saying you can be too old to paint, or too old to build model airplanes. Video games is a hobby like anything else, just newer.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
A while ago I met a man who was in his eighties and still plays Baseball, so I think age doesn't matter as much as people's ability to keep playing said games.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
i'd say when your 3000 years old, you'd have died at least 2900 (give or take 100 years or so)

your a gamer if you like playing video games semi regularly (i.e. games like ratchet and clank once a week not facebook games)

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
When your bones have turned to dust and your ashes have scattered in the winds. That's when you can no longer be called a gamer as ash on a keyboard or controller will just make a huge mess. :O

When me and a group of friends would play starcraft together we would always go to the house of one particular friend. This is because his grandfather loved to play SC with us and it rounded out the teams. :p
Damn that old bastard was good with Protoss... XD

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
Both my parents are in their late 50s and they are still gamers. They are the ones who got me into games with my dad heavily into old RTS like Nobunaga's Revenge and RPGs on the Atari and NES. My mom still plays Skyrim, Kingdom's of Amalur, Mass Effect, etc. while my dad sticks to the console RPGs and RTSs (he loves Warcraft 2 for the PS1).

So, I cast my vote for as long as you're able to hold a controller or move a mouse, you're still able to be a gamer.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Mutant1988 said:
Dead.

That is too old.
Exactly, the day I stop gaming is the day they pry the controller from my cold dead hands and toss me into the ground.

Age is nothing but a number. :D

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
To put it bluntly?

Same for most hobbies. So long as you enjoy it and it makes your time on earth better/doesn't hurt ya? Go for it.

The only one you're beholden to in terms of 'qualifications' for a hobby is yourself.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
To old to do, fill in the blank hobby, never. To old to walk into a crowd of complete strangers and start talking about your hobby randomly, probably 16. You need to figure out the crowd you're talking with to get a good conversation going. If they're into it open the flood gates. If not so much, try talking about something else.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
I think when most people think of "too old" it's the sort of thing the OP mentioned - Jobs, family, career, etc.

Physically I don't think you can be too old to play games. If I recall correctly there was a dude playing Legend of Grimrock with a *mouth* controller due to paralysis. That's hardcore. If that doesn't stop you, the numeric year of your birth certainly can't.

As far as the "get a job, etc. etc." thing, it's not that you necessarily *have* to stop gaming, but you do have to seriously adapt your habits. There are time constraints like a job, family, spouse, kid(s), etc. of course, but there are other things to work around.

The thing you have to grow out of isn't gaming, but insistence on the self-appointed right to do it "whenever you want." That's the awesome thing about childhood when you get right down to it-- provided your parents weren't abusive, hardcore pricks, you have just a bit of indulgence to be selfish. To be insistent about your hobbies be it gaming, baseball, rocketry, etc.

As restrictive as school and chores and parents may have seemed, they weren't a patch on the interference that life throws at you. Just keep gaming, keep working, keep family-ing and friend-ing and keep enjoying life.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Never. Gaming is a hobby as much as any sport or activity is. Gaming is my favourite medium, and the only time that I imagine that I will stop consuming this type of media is if my eyes fell out and my hands exploded. I love playing games, and I don't see myself stopping at any time.

During my time playing WoW, I was in a guild in which the guild master and his second-in-command were a married couple who were well into their sixties and retired. I can respect that commitment to gaming, and it showed me that gaming never was, and never will be, just for children or teenagers.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
I didn't even have to load up the thread to know everybody would say till death, but i'll hop on the pile.

Gaming can offer things to adults. As a competitive hobby, to create interactive worlds that can supplement a narrative, and as most often, to offer access to social communities and allow you to build friendships with people while merely lounging. Gaming also has different levels of appreciation, so you can work it into different schedules. Unfortunately if you are coming in entry level you would have to drop hundreds of dollars to enjoy games, but if you were a hobbyist and then got some more obligations, i'd take the time to buy some classic pc rpgs from gog or maybe even buy older consoles and try to beat some classics.(since you wouldn't have enough time for say, competitive gaming). I personally need to pick up a ps1 and ps2 for the metal gear games, shadow of the colossus and mountains of jrpgs, so having more obligations would almost be a blessing for me.

I personally am also trying to partake in buying debt of video game companies, via stock or angel investing or w/e. The act itself seems interesting and i'd love to be a voice in the development of games.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Jandau said:
My dad died two years ago, at the age of 70. Up until he became bedridden, he played Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Starcraft almost daily. He gamed pretty much until he died. And he didn't grow up as a gamer, he took to it fairly late in life, influenced by me. So if he could game into old age, then I most certainly can.
Heroes 3 would turn anyone into a gamer

Michael Lapierre

Mar 7, 2013
67 year-old gamer here...
(And yes, I had a PONG machine. That's how long I have been gaming.)
Right now, I'm becoming totally involved with Warframe, after bring bored stupid by Destiny.

Michael Lapierre

Mar 7, 2013
I just started a week ago, I have a level 18 or 19 Excalibur, and a Nova Prime that I've been saving until I know what the hell I'm doing!

Michael Lapierre

Mar 7, 2013
My PSN is midnightwind.
Like I said, I just started, but I've been plugging' pixels for decades, so I'll try to keep up! ;-)

Add me to your friends list.