How old is your all-time favorite game?

Edager6882

Dec 21, 2010
1: Half-life 1 - 1998 - 13 years
2: System Shock 2 - 1999 - 12 years
3: Half-life 2 - 2004 - 7 years

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Well i've only been gaming since 2006 (and I'm 23), so thats kind of sad now that i think of it, and i have played older games and enjoyed them, like max payne and half-life 1, but the game that blew my mind more than any other with it's likable characters, engaging plot, and addictive game play was definately Persona 3 (2007, i think, maybe 2006)

so four or five years old.

I put in work with that game, i kid you not 85 hours in 2 weeks, 190 hours in a month, and i was working at the time too. Needless to say, my girlfriend was not happy with me.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Uncharted 2, two years old
Final Fantasy X clocks in at nine years old, as does Shadow Hearts, and man do I love those games.

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
Spyro the Dragon(1998) or Pokemon Red(1998). The first two games I ever played.

*Just finished a %100 playthrough of Spyro about a month ago and played Red a few days ago ^.^

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
SimuLord said:
I just spent the last 25 hours (straight!) playing a campaign in Rome: Total War. Anyone who knows me even slightly knows my love for that game (and for what it's worth, I played as the Julii, my favorite faction. So easy to get those first 49 provinces when taking them from barbarians, then simply march on Rome).

Way back in 2004 I got the game when it came out, and at release I said "if they can get most of the bugs out of this game, it's quite possibly the best game I've ever played." And sure enough, when the 1.2 patch hit in late fall '04, I elevated RTW to my "best game ever" position where it has stayed constantly for the past six years.

For Discussion:

So...what's your favorite game of all-time, what year did it come out (or did you first play it), and has it constantly held that "best ever" position or have other games come and gone from your #1 all-time spot?

(fun fact: Since 1996, only three games---Final Fantasy VI, Alpha Centauri, and Rome---have held the #1 spot on my list.)
All time?
frick I'd have to say 5 years because most of my best games were made in 2006

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
FFIX - 2000
FFXI - 2002
Diablo II - 2000
Warcraft III - 2002
Harvest Moon 64 - 1999
Pokemon RBY - 1998
Donkey Kong Country II - 1995

PPB

May 25, 2009
I don't have a single all-time favourite game. I often like multiple games equally but for different reasons, so in my head it works more like an exclusive president's club than a podium.

That said, most of my favourite games are from 1995-2005, with a peak in 2002.

Some notable dates:
1995: Warcraft II (the oldest game in the "club")
1998: Baldur's Gate, Ocarina of Time
2000: Baldur's Gate II
2002: Warcraft III, Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, Jedi Knight 2 (one hell of a year that one)
2003: Knights of the Old Republic (the newest game in the "club")
Mass Effect 2's candidacy is being considered.

Sep 24, 2008
I'm so happy to see Secret of Mana on the list. And I gotta be the old school fanboy but...

On March 11, 1995, a game became to me what Harry Potter is to legions of people; Sparked wonder in my heart, gave me someone to root for and eventually become close to, and still is one of the only games that ever made me cry at the ending.

Chrono Trigger, I owe you so much.

Joe Herbert

Oct 13, 2010
There are possibly hundreds of versions of my favorite game. It goes by lots of different names such as Tank Wars, Bomb, Gorilla (in qBasic), and Scorched Earth. I know the first time i played one of these games was probably 1990. I'm not sure why i'm entertained by these games so much but i love the simplicity!

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
In 1992, Space Lords from Atari.

I got so good flying/shooting in that, I rolled over the highest number you can get on one quarter. I miss that game. I would pay a pretty penny for that one.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Call of Duty 2. It came out in 2005, so it's five years old. And I doubt I'll ever play a game that tops it, although Rome: Total War has actually come really, really close.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Shadow of the colossus. I believe it came out 5 years ago.

Though I'm playing dragon age origins right now and...damn is it good. It is in my top 10 but It could be #1, I'd have to think about it.

I can't beat the damn archdemon though...

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
Final Fantasy VII came out in 1997, and I can't actually remember when I first played it but I know it's been my #1 game since.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
SimuLord said:
I just spent the last 25 hours (straight!) playing a campaign in Rome: Total War. Anyone who knows me even slightly knows my love for that game (and for what it's worth, I played as the Julii, my favorite faction. So easy to get those first 49 provinces when taking them from barbarians, then simply march on Rome).

Way back in 2004 I got the game when it came out, and at release I said "if they can get most of the bugs out of this game, it's quite possibly the best game I've ever played." And sure enough, when the 1.2 patch hit in late fall '04, I elevated RTW to my "best game ever" position where it has stayed constantly for the past six years.
I would have to say that Rome is definitely the best out of the "new" Total War games by far - it has, I feel, the best AI yet; since Rome it feels like its went downhill a bit (anyone who's played as Russia in Empire may have noticed that Dagestan likes to go to war with you, regardless whether you have three full armies in the region); despite their improvements in gameplay, none have surpassed it since. Still, believe it or not, my favourite in the series so far is still Shogun; none of them have embraced that same level of cultural detail I feel. It was simple and in a good way. IMO anyway. Shogun may just be the best strategy I have ever played.

Although that said, my favorite game of all time is probably Knights of the Old Republic, maybe TES IV Oblivion on certain days; both have stories which to date have not been surpassed for me and both have a level of atmosphere that just works. KOTOR was my first favourite, so I run with that.
I actually (rather strangely) played KOTOR II first after seeing it at a friend's and thinking "Mmmm that is good". I completed it about 2 dozen times (a couple were speed-runs so...) before I finally decided to play the first one. I had seen the first sort of quarter of Taris done and wasn't that impressed, but when I played it, well... when I finished it, I started the whole game again immediately, just to make sure it wasn't some sort of "first time magic". To this day, when the planets align, nothing compares to playing KOTOR again. And in comparison, since I got KOTOR, I've only played the 2nd once about 3 times.
How Old is KOTOR? I think its 7 or 8..

Nulfinator

Apr 14, 2009
It be Red Alert 2 a game that still gives me mindless fun since its release 10 years ago but still gets me insulted by the missus whos favourite game is Diablo 2 which is a year older and hence "more of a classic"