How polite are the English?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Nemu said:
JenXXXJen said:
I'm English (from Sheffield if it makes a difference), and I'm pretty polite. I live in a pretty crap area, so most people I live near are chavs ie.not polite. However, at college and public places and all that, people are over-polite to the point where they'll say sorry if you crash into them. I do that too.

But like others have said, we're also veeerryy sarcastic. It's fun.
I'm from Sheffield, too!
I'll throw my hat in for Sheffield dwellers, though I'm up in Stockton to attend Uni :p Will be coming back down in about two and a half weeks for Christmas holidays.

Yay for having parental units do all my clothes washing for me!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Macksheath said:
Greyfox105 said:
I'm over the top polite. visit the UK, and I don't meet many polite people D:
there are some, but I haven't met many. :(
The stereotype shows English in a better light than most people deserve. unfortunately.

Fixed for you.

After all, the English are tea-swigging tuxedo wearing gents that kiss a poster of the Queen every night before going to bed. Go further North into Scotland and there is as much politeness here as in Bernard Manning visiting a foreign country.

OT: It depends. The further south they go generally the more polite they are. I still think Londoners are tossers though.
Are you serious? I'm from the Midlands and I've been to the South plenty of times. And in all of those places, I've only ever encountered a rare few nice people. Generally people in the South are bigger tossers than those in the North. I live in the North now for nine months of every year, I go to a Northern university, and I've only ever met the exceptionally rare idiot up here. Most Northerners I've met, and I've met plenty of locals here, are really nice, friendly people. Down south people are just arrogant. I can't say anything about Scotland as I've never been that far north, though I do know some Scottish people who are really nice people.

As for the Welsh, they're alright, and I absolutlely love the Irish (Eire and Northern Ireland) to the point where I want to live there. If I couldn't then I'd stay here in Leeds, up in the North, where it's nice. I don't agree that Londoners are tossers though, as I know plenty and I actually live with two girls from London. They're some of the nicest people I know, for the record. I wouldn't want to live in London though, unless I could live right in the centre (somewhere like a fancy Docklands apartment, or Notting Hill/Camden way), and that's hardly going to happen (I'd never be able to afford it)...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Trivun said:
Macksheath said:
Greyfox105 said:
The stereotype shows English in a better light than most people deserve. unfortunately.

Fixed for you.

After all, the English are tea-swigging tuxedo wearing gents that kiss a poster of the Queen every night before going to bed. Go further North into Scotland and there is as much politeness here as in Bernard Manning visiting a foreign country.

OT: It depends. The further south they go generally the more polite they are. I still think Londoners are tossers though.
Are you serious? I'm from the Midlands and I've been to the South plenty of times. And in all of those places, I've only ever encountered a rare few nice people. Generally people in the South are bigger tossers than those in the North. I live in the North now for nine months of every year, I go to a Northern university, and I've only ever met the exceptionally rare idiot up here. Most Northerners I've met, and I've met plenty of locals here, are really nice, friendly people. Down south people are just arrogant. I can't say anything about Scotland as I've never been that far north, though I do know some Scottish people who are really nice people.

As for the Welsh, they're alright, and I absolutlely love the Irish (Eire and Northern Ireland) to the point where I want to live there. If I couldn't then I'd stay here in Leeds, up in the North, where it's nice. I don't agree that Londoners are tossers though, as I know plenty and I actually live with two girls from London. They're some of the nicest people I know, for the record. I wouldn't want to live in London though, unless I could live right in the centre (somewhere like a fancy Docklands apartment, or Notting Hill/Camden way), and that's hardly going to happen (I'd never be able to afford it)...
The Scottish are too busy drinking and complaining to be polite.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I'm pretty sure that the stereotype is posh, elitist, condescending jerks who come from old money and think there better then everyone else. It's not true, but I'm pretty sure that that's the more common ignorant stereotype.

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
Varies per area, person and circumstance. Met an angry englishmen and like anyone else in the world he's not a jolly ol' chap.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Amnestic said:
Trivun said:
Macksheath said:
Greyfox105 said:

Fixed for you.

The Scottish are too busy drinking and complaining to be polite.
Then I'm moving up North to Scotland. I've always been a big fan of scotch whisky...

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
My father is from Wales, and he's the most polite person I know, as well as the calmest and most sensible as well. Generally anyone over the age of 40 from England that I have met has been polite, educated, intelligent or really funny.

The youth of the UK on the other hand.... bad, mostly. When I was still in high school (about five years ago), we had a group of UK high school students come over for a month or so. They were nasty little jerks. Extremely proud and full of themselves, swearing constantly, and basically acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. Every single teenager I have met from the UK has either been one of two things:

1) A soccer hooligan type or
2) A complete and utter snob, dedicated to trying to prove that he is more intelligent and sophisticated than you at every opportunity. The way they just casually insult you for no reason is unbelievable.

I don't want to sound too negative - I love the old British culture and generally any British person over the age of 40 to 50. But somehow they've utterly failed to impart their manners on their children. Something has gone dreadfully wrong in the UK when it comes to raising their kids.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
in general I find americans to be more polite. this coming from an english bastard.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I'm fairly polite, especially to people I don't know

However, people have told me I kinda Hulk Out when I get frustrated enough.

People's patience erode, like chalk. Mine is like a bendy twig, you can push it very hard, but it eventually snaps, and then there's no going back

However, my best mate, Josh, is horrendously polite, and makes me look quite the lout.

He never even swears, or says a bad thing, except when it's clever irony aimed at a thug too stupid to catch the insult

HaruHearts

Mar 20, 2009
I may be 16 but people have always complimented me on my manners and me beign well spoken (besides my accent) but Iwouldn;t say I'm very polite I ofte nswear and I'm loud.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Some of the people around where I live are polite(ish) Most of them are of the older generation though. But as with anywhere else, where there are polite people, there are chavs, or just plain annoying people. Like the single mums from the council estate living off the taxpayer, who go shopping for crisps and blackcurrent squash with all 5 of their kids from 4 different dads, who then scream the shop to the ground.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
ravens_nest said:
Torque669 said:
Are you from the north or the south?

Almost every town, including mine, are full of polite people unless they're chavs. Hell even chavs in my area say "Excuse me". They'd probably apoligise for knifing you.

Anyway OT: In my area and in most northern towns, are full of polite people but there will always be grumpy and unpolite people wherever you go.
I'm from Milton Keynes so south I guess but north of London and Watford. People round here just don't give a toss about eachother. The whole city us just residential suburbs cordened of with roads and round-a-bouts. No high streets, no village fêtes, no local butchers, grocers, tailors etc. Just Tesco's and New Looks etc. I hate this place with a passion...

Oh and we have a major Chav or "insert offensive/annoying subculture here" infestation...

I guess that's the trend, to be less polite to strangers when you live in a city. It probably doesn't change from country to country either...

With the exception of Newcastle actually, I quite liked Newcastle, fairly friendly folks up there... It's a shame I didn't know what the fuck they were saying...

Ahh, well Im from the north, near Leeds. Leeds is probably the most unpolite town, its really bad.

Nothing can be as bad as London however. Everyone there just ignores you completely. When I went with school, this woman sold me a bottle of coke adnd she honestly looked like she wantedto snap my neck. Ive never been to Milton Keynes however but, no offence, it does sound pretty bad.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Novskij said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
We're a pretty polite people, except the scum. They're word for "Hello" is "I'll fuckin stab you".

I'll fockin steb yu maite.

Also i think english people are polite with an exception. The Chavs.
It's odd that, despite the stabbing, we're still all mates.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
ultimateownage said:
05rutterb said:
I'm 16, from England, and have never met a posh person in my area. I live in Reading, so that's not saying much, but still. The only posh people are over 60.
Woo, I'm from reading too, HIGH FIVES.
HIGH FIVE! Oh sorry, too slow. :p
Whereabouts in Reading? Do you know where Twyford is? Cause I live near there, in Charvil.
It's not actually in Reading, but on the outskirts. I have Reading in my postcode though. :)

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Mana Fiend said:
Oh, but I do swear a fair bit. They're just words...
Though for some reason, I watch my language on the internet. Very strange...
I think that's 'cause you can't get banned from life.

... Well, you CAN, but nobody will kill you or throw you in jail for swearing.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
I live in England and I'd consider myself to be polite, but there are some real toolbags out there, but I guess you get that everywhere.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Where I live (Manchester) everyone hates everyone else, I hold a sardonic hatred for humanity to begin with though.