How Politically Active Are You?

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I vote, push people to vote, and apply to help the Liberal party at every election.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Fairly moreso than ever before. What little money I do have goes towards the things I support, I am member of a couple of political movements that are very active, and of course simple obligatory petition signing, which some have actually seen results, thankfully; there is always that lingering doubt which isn't unjustified of course. You just got to pick the ones that aren't created by some knee-jerk idiot and have an important message and/or impact. I am working towards being even more active once a few current issues are dealt with.
Though I read through the religion and politics forums here, tend to try avoid commenting on that area in this website as online back and forth is depressingly circular and gaming seems to attract a lot of inwardly thinking, narcissist, arrogant ignorant types who could do with some travel and a wider perspective on reality. Much respect to those who are willing to deal with these on a regular basis, you have my spiritual support, whatever that means. Just wish I could do more really.
Kind of was asleep for the early parts of life, like a drone just living for selfish reasons while convincing the self otherwise. Now things are clearer, feel human, awake and aware, but the despair must be tolerated as a symptom of this reality and a fuel to work for change. Not hiding and dozing in a dream anymore. But I can understand why those that do. Some people just need time, tragedy or a unique experience that opens up windows and doors that cannot be closed.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Team Valor is leading this great nation of trainers into a ditch. I will do all I can to support Mystic.

But seriously, I'm in the "vote and discuss amongst my circle" level, because if you're not around people that respect your opinion, they're never going to actually consider your views nor you theirs.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Not very. I vote, I've signed a few petitions, and I wrote my senator about Edward Snowdin once. That's about it.

Though, with things the way they are now, I may join the picket lines soon. I'll have to see where this hate train goes.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I've actually volunteered for the occasional campaign, and yup. Not doing that again. What I learned is local and state politicians will say anything, and I mean literally anything to appeal to the person they're shaking hands with right now.

Completely disillusioned me.

Lodgem

Dec 11, 2009
Country
Australia
I rarely have much to do with politics outside an election. I've never contacted my local MP, for example. While I do have a political opinion and have, on occasion, got into a political discussion, I don't normally have much to do with politics.

When an election does come around, however, I take it seriously. Before I vote I'll look at all of the candidates that will be on my ballot beforehand to determine which order I'll vote for them (We don't just check a box here in Australia, we number all candidates in order of preference from 'Person I most want to win' down to 'Person I do not want to win under any circumstances').

Up until the recent Federal election I'd even vote 'below the line' for the Senate. For those who don't know how voting works in Australia just know that this means that voting can take a long time (lots of boxes to number for the Senate) but I had full control over how my preferences were to be distributed. Recent changes have made it much easier to distribute my preferences however I want.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
British and voted up till now, but after the EU referendum (Which we shouldn't of had because the population is a bunch of idiots (me included) I won't be doing ever again as it's just all a shit show with no promise or future in it.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
Quite active myself - although not as much as I'd wish, mostly from also being a father and putting my family first.

I have my share of attending various demonstrations and coordinating with other conservative activists on social medias.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I have written e-mails to parliament members, people I've known have ran for parliament and local council (I think that's what it's called in English...) so I've been involved that way. I have been asked to run for parliament, I declined (They just wanted to fill the lists tbh)

My dad used to be very involved in campaigning, never ran himself.

I am pretty disillusioned with politics atm dunno if I should then get more involved.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I don't even vote. I'm 100% disillusioned with the political system here in England, and have been for as long as I can remember, so I don't think I've taken part in any political activity whatsoever in my entire life. Never voted, certainly never been to a protest, I can't even recall ever signing a petition.

I've also never really understood those people that tell others to vote as though it's a moral good in itself (or, for that matter, the logic behind mandatory voting). Isn't it better for people who are disinterested in a vote to refrain from influencing it? Wouldn't votes from those people just add a completely random and meaningless influence on the result, and thus distort it away from what the people who cared actually wanted?

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Vote if there's anything worth voting for. Try to avoid office politics discussions, because they tend to lessen everyones opinion of everyone else.

If I was going to volunteer time and effort to a cause, I'd rather give it to a charity than a local politician.

karloss01 said:
British and voted up till now, but after the EU referendum (Which we shouldn't of had because the population is a bunch of idiots (me included) I won't be doing ever again as it's just all a shit show with no promise or future in it.
At least that was worth voting in, being a clear choice. Most elections the differences between the parties is so minor (considering they all lie anyway) that it's not worth it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Honestly? Not even remotely enough. I'd love to be involved as a volunteer and do all kinds of activist things. Party politics doesn't really interest me, especially because I'm a student in a foreign country. But there's plenty of political causes I feel very strongly about. That means that yes I'm one of those people who cares about social justice.

But so far I'm only an armchair activist I'm afraid. That said I don't rant on Twitter or other social media, but I try to have a lot of intense conversations about it and I try to keep up with some reading material regarding what I care about. Sadly none of my friends really share my political predilections so I don't really have a lot of those conversations either. It's limited to a strong mental engagement.

To be honest, all in all I feel a little...impotent, politically.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It doesn't feel right for me to vote, seeing how I spend about a quarter of my life now in my country... or less. So I didn't last election.

The guy I didn't want won by a good margin anyhow.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Not in the slightest. I see both sides of too many issues to really commit to one or the other, agree and disagree with the Democrats and Republicans on too many things to throw in with one or the other, can't muster up any sort of righteous passion to do much in the way of campaigning, realize that I'm too ignorant about too many issues to make my opinion worth much, and even the cases I do feel strongly about are either being fronted by much better people than me or are instances where I still see where the other side is coming from and cannot think of a workable solution.

So yeah. I personally stay out of the ring altogether.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I am an activist on social and political issues. I vote, I pay attention to politics and movements and educate myself about issues. I belong to several organizations belonging to men's rights (no, not AVFM or r/redpill) and humanism. I post a little on here regarding that stuff when it comes up but most of my activism lives in meatspace. Letter writing campaigns, out reach, calling politicians and education. In one of the groups I belong to I serve in an enhanced capacity where I help set policy, agendas and strategy while helping with administration and organization.

In short, I'm very active.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Not in the slightest, I hate politics, I hate the politicians in my country, I hate crazy lefties, I hate crazy righties and I hate the fact you're either a crazy lefty, a crazy righty or someone who doesn't give a shit altogether. It's how humanity will fail, that whole "evil can only win when the good guys do nothing about it" thing

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Only because my job is political to some extent. I assist attorneys at a nonprofit immigration company. However, I'm probably the least political person in the building. Politics get discussed a lot at work, but generally, I'm much more interested in learning about the world through discussion than I am in changing how others see it.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I became politically active twice out of necessity. I learned it was a spectacular waste of time.

The first time was in the mid nineties when I worked for the Superconducting Super Collider (what would have been America's answer to CERN) and Al Gore, the "Science Vice President" was chomping at the bit to shut it down. We reached out to a lot of Texas Senators and even spoke to the late great Governor Anne Richards to keep it funded. But nothing happened.

Then in a second career, I was a lead engineer on a turbo train project that would create high speed rail transit across Texas. I worked with some lobbyists and a couple of Congressmen and Senators to get some restrictive railroad legislation repealed that would allow the project to go forward. Again...nothing happened.

And it was all political. Gore wanted to shut the SSC down because it was a holdover from the previous administration Never mind the scientific advances that were coming out of it.

The high speed rail thing would have allowed travel across the state in four hours instead of ten. But again, the wrong party was pushing it.

I gave up after that.