How should humans deal with space travel and alien contact if the time ever comes?

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
A lot of people say "The Mass Effect way" jokingly, meaning "have sex with everything remotely attractive to humans." But the real "Mass Effect way" is inspiring. In that game, humans are the new kid on the block, yet we learn extremely quickly and catch up with races that have been patrolling the stars for centuries before us. We learn from our mistakes, incorporate their technology seamlessly into our own, and master in decades what's taken other species centuries. The only regrettable part is the number of ethical lines that get crossed along the way (especially by Cerberus.)

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
We SHOULDN'T deal with aliens in the first place. Don't forget what happened to the Native Americans when Europe decided it's time to fuck all and colonize their lands.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I think the most obvious thing to do would be have Star Trek become the primary religous work for the space age.

Vorlayn

Jun 3, 2010
If we're more advanced than they, history says we'll probably enslave em or kill em. If it's the other way around...we're toast.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Humanity, our sole preoccupation for the past 20,000 years since we developed civilization has been War. Waging War. Planning for War. Developing technology for War. Our culture has always focused on it, our societies are defined by it, we love it, we're VERY good at it.

We get out there, with FTL technology, and the first intelligent species we come across is going to make Humanity as a whole get it's shit together and go on the war-path, since all those lovely things we humans fight for, (Country, People, God, Money, Power, etc.) is threatened by the mere existance of another Species in the galaxy.

We're Xenophobic, no denying it, we are. Dosen't matter what ruler we measure then by, Aliens are-not-us.

And Humanity dosen't really have a good history dealing with people who aren't like us. Religion, Polictics, Economics, Technology, Culture...

Sharkosauros

Aug 10, 2010
Lets be honest .. everwere humans go. there is war >.< .. Still u never know.. we might be the first spicies to have evolved... or the last... and imagine.. when we get out of the solar sistem, we find out theres a war going on the galaxy, that woud be bad ._.

Aglynugga

Jul 25, 2010
Bunches of Punches.
Aliens show up, they're like Britian from the empire days, and we all get brand new flags that look the same. There is no reason at all ever for aliens to show up. If they ever do, it will be to fuck our shit up, give us a 'friendly' invite to the galatic club whiether we want to or not as a 'protectorate', or they're like "Fuck no, monkeys!" and space nuke us into Xanadu. Nothing on the planet that can't be found in space (except us), nothing here that can't be done in space (except us..mm..space sexy), fuck, get a few genetic samples and they wouldn't even need us.
I read something recently about how if aliens showed up they would apparently be the equivelent of hillbillies and we're supposed to mimic their gestures and sounds to let them know we understand. Because god knows if some strange being walked up and started copying everything we did, we wouldn't think they were mentally retarded or a fucking child. Or that alines wouldn't have noticed all the energy beams and electricity we shoot at each other on the way down, or the heavy radiation readings from the amount of fallout still in our atmoshpere, or the massive amount of right angles constructs that literally cover the globe so that some of it is visible from space...Aliens so stupid you would have to draw them a triangle to make sure they understood you know what triangles are. Because there aren't any huge stone triangles out in the middle of a desert that are so big you can see them from you know...space.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ekonk said:
Well. We SHOULD accept them with open arms.
No, with LOADED arms

You know, exchanges.
Yes, of weapons fire.

Depending on how different that species is (it could be a hivemind built out of million single-cell organisms, for example) we should send scientists and historians and explorers to them
To learn their weaknesses.

Schwerganoik

Jul 1, 2010
sennius said:
Befriend them, live in peace, and please God do not segregate them.
Forget that. The blue ones stay where they are, but I'm going to personally bus all of the green ones to Mars.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Ekonk said:
No, with LOADED arms

You know, exchanges.
Yes, of weapons fire.

Depending on how different that species is (it could be a hivemind built out of million single-cell organisms, for example) we should send scientists and historians and explorers to them
YOU ARE GOING TO GET US ALL KILLED MAN

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
Ekonk said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Ekonk said:
No, with LOADED arms

You know, exchanges.
Yes, of weapons fire.

killed with kindness? from all the grateful people back home?

KoSTHB

Aug 7, 2010
look what is most likely to happen if we meet a group that is less develop that us we'll do what the europeans did to everyone else, if not than we're likely to be enslaved for the next 500 years

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Housebroken Lunatic said:
I vote for: The Warhammer 40.000 way. Because hatred and intolerance is just sooo cool in an interstellar setting. XD
BURN THE HERETIC, THE MUTANT, THE ALIEN!

Space nazis for the win!

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I vote for rampant imperialism.

With Britannia at the forefront. Not the current Britain though. One that's less shit.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
the way i see it we need to keep peace with any alien species so we can open up a trading system and hopefully a full time bartering sales route and have a duel species planetary living system. Plus it would show other alien species that find us that we are peaceful and aren't stupid, so we could make more galactic connections.

As for what we should do if we leave earth in rumble, then i say we salvage all the resources from buildings. ie metal, stone, wood, food and then blow them into rumble so they wont crush any living matter after were gone, and try to leave as much water on earth as possible.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ekonk said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Ekonk said:
No, with LOADED arms

You know, exchanges.
Yes, of weapons fire.

'Us'? 'Killed'? My plan obviously details the extermination of the aliens... therefore your concern can only stem from the fact that you are an alien.

*ignites flamer*

Any last words, Xenos scum?

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
bubba145 said:
Standard combat rules. shoot first ask questions later.
Asking questions is above my pay grade.
Its not above mine all the Butterbars have to ask them i sit back and make sure they don't screw up.