How should I play my next Fallout: New Vegas run?

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
It was a bleak and bright summer's day. I hissed at the intruding daylight, drawing my curtains shut before directing my gaze to the computer monitor before me.

Just a few hours before I had purchased a copy of the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition off of Steam, a mere $5 relinquished from my wallet traded for its glory (I gently tipped my top hat upon recalling this splendid transcaction). After installing the post-apocalyptic simulator and booting it up, I realized there was one conundrum I had yet to overcome: How was I to immerse myself inside this game world? With so many potential playstyles, my feeble mind could not on its own deduce which one would be best for my amusement. I decided then the proper course of action would be to ponder possible solutions for this unforseen dilemma.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 2 minutes I got bored and came here for help

TL:DR I don't know who I should try role-playing as and want to hear your thoughts. Things you oughta know first:

*I have all the DLC, including Gun Runner's Arsenal and Courier's Stash. Feel free to consider them in your post, but please no spoilers!

*The only mod I will be using is the one made by J. E. Sawyer. Changes include less carrying capacity, significantly reduced health, more punishing hardcore mode and stimpak overhaul.

*Previously on the vanilla edition I have done an independent Vegas playthrough, as well as most of a pacifist and drunk Mike Tyson one. I'm willing to do them again, but you'll need a pretty good case.

Knowing all this, what would you say is a good way for me to play today, or maybe tomorrow, who knows?

(also, if you should find a super-mutant refuge nestled high in the ski lodge to the northwest, do not, repeat do NOT belittle a super-mutant for taking the bunny slope)

vv85

May 25, 2013
Play as a sheltered schizophrenic who ran away from their pious home, and is actually having hallucinations. So the story plot, House, the talking robots, Vegas itself,... its all in your head, its a delusion. The world is real, you just slot your own ideas in.

You're parents are the priest of a cult and a brainwashed 13 year old member of said cult which live south of post nuclear Vegas. They raised you with extreme 'Christian' values so you have this burning desire to be 'good'. However, the whippings and admonishments from when you were 'bad' (combined with a lack of definition/consistency of 'bad') means you feel guilty and anxious pretty much constantly. Because your mum was so young, you have some birth defects, and your parents are so ashamed of you that they dont let you out of the house much.

You're a bit of a firebug, and one day you burnt down the shack with your parents in it, so you ran away. After running for acouple of days, you felt so guilty you tried to bash your head in with a rock in a shallow grave in a graveyard. In When you wake up, you've created this story that you have amnesia and you're 'The One', but really you just want to forget so you twist the world to keep up your story. Alot of the world exists, you've just skewed it: Legion arn't invaders, they're tribals who you imagine are dressed up (their camp is literally just a big camp). Vegas doesnt exist, when people talk about it you're putting words in their mouth.

So you walk the wasteland - feeling entitled and driven, but really slowly going insane....

... that sounds like an awesome character! I'm loading up F3NV now!

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Just play it as someone who's stupid... like just don't put a single point into Intelligence, and go with the flow... seriously... it's like a completely different game...<.<

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sacman said:
Just play it as someone who's stupid... like just don't put a single point into Intelligence, and go with the flow... seriously... it's like a completely different game...<.<
I second this, you will understand when you start to talk.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Sacman said:
I tried it and was kinda unsatisfied. You get a few "Me head hurts"-answers, but most of the dialogue remains the same.

The most ebgaging playthrough for me was my "murder everything"-agenda playthrough. It was the most challenging and fun. The premise seems dull. but it's kinda tricky murdering each and every movin creature/human being you encounter

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Put all SPECIAL points in to Luck and nothing else.

Oh and only use revolvers, always wear a Fedora type hat, consume any booze or cigarettes you find immediately and only talk in gritty metaphors. It's Fallout Noir! Just make sure that your name is [something] Malone.

Mar 30, 2010
Ever read The Dark Tower series? Do a 'Roland' run: high Perception and Agility, tag skills in Guns, Survival and Speech, only use Revolvers, and take perks such as Travel Light, Home on the Range and - of course - Gunslinger. Mr House makes an excellent metaphor for the Crimson King too.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Try a all melee run with the right perks it can be quite fun and challenging and call your character Kenshiro too.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Survivalist, which is what I generally run. Restrict yourself to only a few item "slots" and only pick up what you would actually carry around. Creates a really nice immersive game, and hard too, your average bear doesn't carry 20 weapons around, nor twenty ammo boxes for them, so you'll be really looking out for what little ammo you "can" pick up.

Are you going to be using mods?

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Without killing a soul. After having been shot in the head you decide to cast away a life of violence and become friendly doctor of the wastelands. You travel with a pack full of medical equipment so that you may help anyone in need, and a pistol with only 1 bullet in it. A bullet ment for a VERY special man...

Sacman said:
A completely diferent game, and a barrel of laughs! Recommended X3. To go with the theme, make yourself super strong, wear big brutish armor and use one of the crazier melee weapons.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
if you havent done a melee build.. try a mad bomber build. When I last played I had a mad bomber with EW backup build and it was awesome.. ust blew everything and everyone up.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Since it's your first playthrough, I recommend having a high Intelligence (at least 7), and investing in Guns, Lockpicking and Speech.

I recommend not using mods for your first playthrough because it might break certain quests.

As for playstyle - Start playing and you'll slowly make one of your own. Don't overthink it. Worst case scenario: You'll hate the character you made and decide to restart, but at least you'll know what character you do want to make.

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
Sacman said:
BLAHwhatever said:
The most ebgaging playthrough for me was my "murder everything"-agenda playthrough. It was the most challenging and fun. The premise seems dull. but it's kinda tricky murdering each and every movin creature/human being you encounter
That's what my drunk Mike Tyson play through basically was :p
JochemHippie said:
Survivalist, which is what I generally run. Restrict yourself to only a few item "slots" and only pick up what you would actually carry around. Creates a really nice immersive game, and hard too, your average bear doesn't carry 20 weapons around, nor twenty ammo boxes for them, so you'll be really looking out for what little ammo you "can" pick up.

Are you going to be using mods?
Not a bad idea. The sheer amount of loot I tend to end up with really ruins the mid to late game. Maybe I could contain my kleptomania, too.....
Other than J. E. Sawyer's mod, the only ones I would install are bug fix and general polish ones.T
Playful Pony said:
Without killing a soul. After having been shot in the head you decide to cast away a life of violence and become friendly doctor of the wastelands. You travel with a pack full of medical equipment so that you may help anyone in need, and a pistol with only 1 bullet in it. A bullet ment for a VERY special man...
Ooh sounds pretty interesting. My last pacifist run was pretty fun, but the main problem I had was all sorts of bugs (For example, I couldn't launch the rockets in Come Fly With Me because Chris went straight to Novac after I convinced him he was just human). Do you know of any mods that fix issues like these?
Doom972 said:
Since it's your first playthrough, I recommend having a high Intelligence (at least 7), and investing in Guns, Lockpicking and Speech.

I recommend not using mods for your first playthrough because it might break certain quests.

As for playstyle - Start playing and you'll slowly make one of your own. Don't overthink it. Worst case scenario: You'll hate the character you made and decide to restart, but at least you'll know what character you do want to make.
Actually I've had the vanilla version on the Xbox since release day. I've done lots of different runs so far and now I want someone else's perspective.

Still thinking this whole thing over. Don't be afraid to make your voice heard!

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Play a no-VATS run. It's harder than it sounds if you're as reliant on it as I am, especially with the patchy ADS in that game.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
You could play to break the game...

...give yourself low strength and then use a super sledge to bash everything to death with 25 melee skill :p It works far better than you could ever hope for...just avoid VATS. Who says skills are important? :p

Maybe do the same with the broken explosives skills...25 skill and then use a Grenade MG...the game becomes utterly pointless, even on very hard. The last battle is amusing though...everyone gets crippled before getting anywhere near you.

Doesn't say much for the developer, that these problems are so obvious, but they have a track record of piss poor coding skills