How Stephen Colbert Saved America

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
How Stephen Colbert Saved America

The Colbert Report may be coming to a close this week, but its influence on pop culture isn't going anywhere.

Read Full Article

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
The Colbert Report it must watch tv along with Daily Show to me. I will honestly miss the back handed insults and frankly knowing that even in tge face of disasters, wars, and atrocities, that there will always be a place to be able to laugh at the stupidity of the government and 24 hour news networks, constantly making huge deals out of nothing.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
*Starts the article*
Huh, is this new Gamergate-proofing, adding the "this is an opinion"-disclaimer in front of an article? Why is it mentioned so explicitly?
*Halfway through the first page*
Oh, that's why.

Not American here, so I have mostly second-hand accounts of Fox News and the Colbert Report. I think the only O Reilly clip I saw was when he and his guests were trying to paint my hometown, Amsterdam, as an anarchic distopia thanks to our lax soft-drugs laws, and locals made a clip of smiling families traveling through Amsterdam, while overlaying statistics showing that our rate of drug crimes and drug addiction is considerably lower than in American cities.

But I'll leave the discussion to those that have seen either of these shows. Wonder if we'll get fireworks from the conservative posters

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Soon they will have to call this site "The MovieBob Show". Dont know how he finds the time to write all these different articles and shows each week.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
1 Fox News marches in lockstep with Roger Ailes not Rupert Murdoch. Allegedly Fox News is so far right that even Murdoch wants to get rid of it but can't because it's making too much money.

2 The cancel Colbert women got the joke. She just thought that alternating between white racists and whites making racist jokes ironically left out what actual Asians and minorities thought of the whole thing. Not coincidently the senior black correspondent gets Colbert's show so we can have different perspectives handing out different points of view.

I'm still really going to miss Colbert though. I hope the new guy is up to the task.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
bificommander said:
*Starts the article*
Huh, is this new Gamergate-proofing, adding the "this is an opinion"-disclaimer in front of an article? Why is it mentioned so explicitly?
Oh, that's why.
Yeah, I like Bob and all, but I probably would have preferred him making this on another venue considering his own bias can get really grating sometime, this article seems like a pretty good example.

Not American here, so I have mostly second-hand accounts of Fox News and the Colbert Report. I think the only O Reilly clip I saw was when he and his guests were trying to paint my hometown, Amsterdam, as an anarchic distopia thanks to our lax soft-drugs laws, and locals made a clip of smiling families traveling through Amsterdam, while overlaying statistics showing that our rate of drug crimes and drug addiction is considerably lower than in American cities.
Pssh...but you have drugs decriminalized there, how could you possibly be better off than us in terms of drug related crimes and addiction? [/sarcasm]

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
I'm gonna miss Stephen Colbert the character. Being Canadian, I get 99% of my American news from comedy shows and, honestly, I prefer it that way. Like Bob said in the article, I know what I get what the character: ruthless, Fox-destroying satire. Colbert the real person, while an honest-to-goodness, D&D-and-LOTR nerd, has been an unknown commodity for years when it comes to television. Here's hoping he has success in the "real" world.

Meanwhile, calling it now: Larry Wilmore is going to pick up where Colbert left off and destroy his time slot. His cultural impact may not be as bombastic but I have a feeling his show will be just as vicious.

vid87

May 17, 2010
As much as I legitimately love and respect Colbert and believe him to be a tremendous actor, I often find his show a little frustrating, not just because he sometimes repeats a story already presented on Daily Show, but his interviews focus more on the routine of the Fox commentators being terrible to their guests and less on the actual info I want to know. Colbert knew how to mock, but Stewart knows when mocking isn't enough.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
I will sincerely miss the report. While the new show certainly is a promotion for Colbert, it will be a loss for us because a typical late night show cannot have the same influence as the report had. I seriously like Larry Wilmore,though and will definitely tune in.
And thank go, we have John Oliver's last week tonight now, which turned out to be really really good.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Pseudonym2 said:
The cancel Colbert women got the joke. She just thought that alternating between white racists and whites making racist jokes ironically left out what actual Asians and minorities thought of the whole thing.
Indeed, and the mean-spirited pile-on that Suey Park received in the wake of it didn't help either. Just goes to show that the left also has its share of disrespectful jerks, contrary to what many lefties like to believe. On that note, I found Bob's attitude towards it tellingly callous.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
vid87 said:
As much as I legitimately love and respect Colbert and believe him to be a tremendous actor, I often find his show a little frustrating, not just because he sometimes repeats a story already presented on Daily Show, but his interviews focus more on the routine of the Fox commentators being terrible to their guests and less on the actual info I want to know. Colbert knew how to mock, but Stewart knows when mocking isn't enough.
Colbert has a big tell during interviews. You know he actually agrees with someone when he lets them fully answer questions. There's the people that he invites onto the show for shared publicity stunts, and then there's the people he invites out of great respect. Those two types of interviews have a light-and-day difference.

When Colbert "over mocks" someone, he knows it!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
bificommander said:
*Starts the article*
Oh, that's why.

But I'll leave the discussion to those that have seen either of these shows. Wonder if we'll get fireworks from the conservative posters
Conservative poster here and Bob is pretty much spot on. I had thought I might have to get up-in-arms but Bob did well to distance Faux-news from any actual link to conservative political philosophy/theory. Fox is just what Bob says it is, a mouthpiece for those who like to pander to the "conservative base" but who aren't actually conservative. This pandering is only effective because the base themselves aren't any more conservative than their favorite news shows. Actual conservative idealism in my country is all but dead. I consider myself a progressive conservative, which to many seems an impossible contradiction because they have been taught that conservatism is all about being a bigot. We really just have two kinds of liberals here now, progressive liberals and religious liberals.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'll honestly miss The Colbert Report, but I guess it had to happen sometime. At least we'll have reruns of this and The Daily Show to enjoy. And Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is pretty good too.

Mr. Colbert, I salute you!

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Pseudonym2 said:
2 The cancel Colbert women got the joke. She just thought that alternating between white racists and whites making racist jokes ironically left out what actual Asians and minorities thought of the whole thing. Not coincidently the senior black correspondent gets Colbert's show so we can have different perspectives handing out different points of view.
I really don't think Park got the joke, at first. It may have been explained to her later, but it seemed pretty obvious from her initial outrage and postings on the issue that she thought it was serious. Then she did what happens all the time when people don't get satire- they try to walk it back and still defend their original complaint under different parameters, and it hardly ever ends up well.

As for Larry Wilmore... I'm honestly not sure. He certainly has the charisma for his own show, but what made The Colbert Report so great was the character that offered contrast from the outright liberal criticism, if it's just going to be "Daily Show by a Black Guy" I fear it may not end up so well.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Gorrath said:
We really just have two kinds of liberals here now, progressive liberals and religious liberals.
Morbidly curious now... what is your ideal of conservatism? I'm assuming we aren't talking 'tea party' philosophy here, since Fox was quite happy to hold them up as paragons...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
hentropy said:
Pseudonym2 said:
I really don't think Park got the joke, at first. It may have been explained to her later, but it seemed pretty obvious from her initial outrage and postings on the issue that she thought it was serious. Then she did what happens all the time when people don't get satire- they try to walk it back and still defend their original complaint under different parameters, and it hardly ever ends up well.
I'm with you on this one. The way her complaints morphed as she went along made it seem pretty obvious that she had jumped too soon without realizing what she was raging against. When it turned out she was jousting at windmills, rather than admit she made a mistake, she began trying to contextualize her complaint in a different way to make it somehow seem legitimate. Throughout the process, she just kept digging herself into a deeper hole. Unfortunate, really.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
I used to be a fan of both daily show and Colbert report. Back when they would comment on both the left and the right. Now it just seems like a watered down msnbc.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
JarinArenos said:
Gorrath said:
We really just have two kinds of liberals here now, progressive liberals and religious liberals.
Morbidly curious now... what is your ideal of conservatism? I'm assuming we aren't talking 'tea party' philosophy here, since Fox was quite happy to hold them up as paragons...
Conservatism in the United States is strongly associated with the small-government movement. This is still endorsed by the politicians and the base but only in talking points. The tea-party started out as a reaction to this problem but became waylaid by the very same disease infecting the rest of the "right" in the U.S.

I often like to say that conservatism was once about keeping the government out of the private lives of the citizens but it is now about keeping the government out of your life while making sure they have the power to be in your neighbor's. This is overly simplistic of me but basically holds true. I don't like the "No true scotsman" game, but to me you aren't conservative if you don't actually adhere to the ideology. With rampant spending in every Republican administration, expansion of federal police and military powers and whole "conservative" movements based around denying or stripping people (mostly homosexuals) of their rights, I don't see how anyone could claim these people/groups are in any way "conservative."

I do not hold a degree in political science so I may very well get eviscerated for this (I'd be happy to) but I see conservatism in the U.S. as being properly characterized by the belief that government should only be as big as is necessary to perform basic functions, that government power should be bottom up (by this I mean all government power should be executed at the lowest level of government possible) and that the federal government should be primarily focused on inter-state issues and foreign affairs, not screwing with bridges in Alaska.

This is why I no longer consider myself Republican but do still consider myself conservative; the party has tossed out these ideals in favor of being only slightly less spend happy (and in some cases, even MORE spend happy) than the Democrats. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other with the only real distinction coming from how badly they want to get rid of the notion of separation of church and state. Anywho, sorry to ramble, though I am happy to talk.

Edit: Incidentally, since we are talking about the Daily Show in some respect, John Stewart collected a bunch of Fox News clips that showed various members of their news team wanting to toss out every one of the first ten amendments to the constitution except the second. No one who claims to be conservative should be saying things like "Burkas should be illegal."; it's so antithetical to conservative theory it's jaw-dropping.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I haven't watched either The Daily Show or The Colbert Report in years because it stopped being funny. No, I don't mean that either show or the writers or actors stopped being funny. I mean that my dad started missing the joke. Oh sure, he'd laugh, but then he goes on and on about how right John and Stephen are about things, and before long in turns from good hearted political skewering to, "Our country is doomed, I'm so worried about the world you're going to grow up in," etc. And that just sucks all the fun out of the shows for me. Same reason I don't really watch the news anymore.

I do like watching them both when my dad isn't around though. I'll miss Colbert, and I know my brother will. At least John and The Daily Show will still be around.