How the hell is that (not) acceptable?

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Different people consider different things taboo. That's normal.

But society is strange sometimes. You walk down the street and notice random things.

For example, how the hell did public nudity become so taboo? Why did more "civilised" cultures come to disapprove of it? I can understand requiring clothes for specific things, but why the complete shift? Why are clothes now a requirement, rather than an option?

Any other examples?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Jumping and climbing on things in public. If I hop over the wall to get to the cashpoint outside my house, it saves me 10 seconds, keeps me fit, and is really fun. But most people would give me a weird look for doing it.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Esotera said:
Jumping and climbing on things in public. If I hop over the wall to get to the cashpoint outside my house, it saves me 10 seconds, keeps me fit, and is really fun. But most people would give me a weird look for doing it.
That look they give you is "I wish I had the balls to do that but hope my face doesn't show it". Humans have an innate urge to climb things, it's fun and we naturally have all the tools we need for it.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
Esotera said:
beacuse you look as if you have just nicked loads of stuff?

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Breast Milk - A really weird thing for most people that aren't small children (I feel weird about it too), yet most people (myself included) are absolutely fine about drinking a cow's milk. Think about that objectively and you have to wonder how we came to that conclusion.

Also today I started to eat a packet of cheese and onion crisps, and was surprised to find that they tasted like ACTUAL cheese and onion. Why is it that food presentation is in a state such that I'm surprised about something tasting of the flavour it supposedly is?

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
- I never understood how somebody who's 17 and 364 days is off limits, but the day they turn 18, they are fair game . It seems odd that somebody who is 16 or 17 is deemed "unable to give consent"
varies by region but the point still stands). Although, once somebody is into their mid-20s they shouldn't be dating that young anyway, I'm talking more about people ages 18-22 who get pinned for statutory rape.

- I never understood how a film (or other forms of media) can have violence and killing and only be PG13, but one woman's nipple will give it an R rating.

- I never understood how men's nipples are allowed to be exposed, but not women's.

- I never understood why halloween is normal but cosplay is weird.

- I never understood why rats and mice are considered ugly, but hamsters are cute.

I have more, but these are the first ones I thought of : \

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Swearing. I mean you can say poop or pee pee but not shit or piss. How fucked are we as a society when a sound is taboo? No one cares about the meaning, everybody poops after all. But when people start shitting, that's offensive.
Ugh, this. I hate it when someone says "oh crap" and then looks at me like I just punched a baby when I say "oh shit." We mean the same damn thing, but somehow I'm the baby-puncher for using a different word?

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
geK0 said:
- I never understood how somebody who's 17 and 364 days is off limits, but the day they turn 18, they are fair game . It seems odd that somebody who is 16 or 17 is deemed "unable to give consent"
varies by region but the point still stands). Although, once somebody is into their mid-20s they shouldn't be dating that young anyway, I'm talking more about people ages 18-22 who get pinned for statutory rape.
Because there has to be a cut-off point, and on that age it is recognised they should have undergone enough development to be able to give informed consent.

geK0 said:
- I never understood how a film (or other forms of media) can have violence and killing and only be PG13, but one woman's nipple will give it an R rating.

- I never understood how men's nipples are allowed to be exposed, but not women's.
Because women's breasts play an active role in reproduction? This is a western thing. Most of the tribes in the Amazon, etc, don't see the breasts as sexual - at least, not enough to be covered as a social norm.

geK0 said:
Because Halloween is traditional, while cosplay is not. It returns to societal norms - an excuse for one night ( when younger) instead of an adult doing a 'childish activity' (dressing up as a character from something).

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
GiglameshSoulEater said:
geK0 said:
Because there has to be a cut-off point, and on that age it is recognised they should have undergone enough development to be able to give informed consent.

geK0 said:

Because women's breasts play an active role in reproduction? This is a western thing. Most of the tribes in the Amazon, etc, don't see the breasts as sexual - at least, not enough to be covered as a social norm.

geK0 said:
Because Halloween is traditional, while cosplay is not. It returns to societal norms - an excuse for one night ( when younger) instead of an adult doing a 'childish activity' (dressing up as a character from something).
Fairly reasonable answers that I probably could have come to if I had given those things any amount of thought; I just wanted to contribute : \

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
My question to the world is, since when was questioning or changing religion considered a mental disorder that can be diagnosed by a licensed professional? Why does this diagnosis exist?

Just in case, in terms of source this is straight from the DSM-IV the most current available book on the topic of madness/psychology. At least until the DSM-V comes out, whenever that is. I just can't be bothered with looking up the direct quote, but I'm sure it's in there.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
How the hell can someone go and rape/muder/torture/otherwisedobadshit to another human, and get off with nothing more that a slap on the wrist.

But average joe shoots an attacking animal in defense of his 5 year old daughter, and faces 20 years in prison.

*I'm in Florida, something like this happened a few months back and it pisses me off. If you want to kill something, kill another human; apparently no one gives a shit about that, but don't you touch the wildlife.*

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Any particular word or phrase no matter how offensive, I never got it

Homosexuality, or even casual sex in general. Why is that bad? Consensual sex being bad just boggles my mind. And homosexuality being taboo not only boggle my mind but pisses me the fuck off.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Why is it acceptable to wear a Sesame Street shirt, but, not a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic shirt?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
GiglameshSoulEater said:
geK0 said:
I think there would be far, far less trouble if it was determined on a case-by-case basis, since there are plenty of 16 year olds that are far more mature and able to give consent than many 18 or 19 year olds.

Additionally, not just are some kids more emotionally mature (as in, they don't ACT immature), brain development is significantly different for everyone, to the point where comparing two 16-year olds and putting them on the same legal level is just...illogical and counterproductive.

Edit: But that's just me. I think that arbitrary cut-off points are horribly, horribly wrong for something like sexuality, and really only make sense for stuff like politics, where maturity is not that large of a factor compared to just basic intelligence.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Esotera said:
This. I was climbing a wall once while walking back home and this guy was like, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"
The layout was such that it was either climb up onto the wall and walk across the field on top, or spend 40-50 minutes walking all the way around on the sidewalk. What the fuck do you mean "what am I doing?"

Also, swearing.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
In regards to nudity being taboo, it's probably because most people are hard enough to look at with their clothes on. And I much prefer not seeing the puckered butt-hole of a stranger every time someone bends over to pick something up in public.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Why is it unacceptable to be different?

Why is it so fucking bad to be the one that stands out in the crowd? As an example, I am an 18 year old male and I like My Little Pony... I'm sure there are lots of bronies out there just like me and I bet we've all run into the same problem. We are "wierd" simply because we like something that others don't approve of! It's not just something as "big" as liking a little girls tv show, it's every tiny insignificant thing.

You don't like a certain genre of music...
You have a controversial opinion...
You do one thing to identify yourself as seperate from the masses...

And you are Wierd

AND ANOTHER THING! WHY THE FUCK DOES "'I' before 'E', except after 'C'" NOT APPLY TO THE WORD "Weird"???