How to convince father to buy a ps2?

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
Hello people,
this may seem to be a stupid question, but let me give you some context first. So, I made a list of games that I still need to play and of course there are some ps2 classics on that list(Sotc,ICO,Silent Hill 2 etc.) too. Now, the problem is (and that isn't even really a problem)that I don't have a ps2, I "only" have a PS3 and a Xbox 360. So money is obviously not the cause of the problem either (also considering that you can get a ps2 for 50 bugs or less from ebay). The reasons (why I don't have a ps2) are:
A)I'm not 18 and thus don't have a paypal account ,or anything like that(so it has to be bought with his account).
B)He (my father) dosen't understand why I need an old ps2 when I already have two next-gen consoles.

I can sort of understand reason B), but the ps2 has some precious gems that I still haven't played and since I want to become a game designer (I'm currently sloging through a game design book and through a c++ book) these games could be very useful for me and for my career/future.
But he dosen't take my dream job seriously (and gaming in general).

So, does anyone of you have an idea how to convince him?
Thanks.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
First of all, you CAN have a paypal account when you are 18.
Second, you don't need his money, you can work for it yourself?
Third, get into a real college and going to study programming, don't just read books because that won't be worth shit unless you become really REALLY good.

But I'm derailing a bit. Ok, try to make this argument, of course, word it with your own words:

"Father, the advantage of having a PS2 to play with (Don't say research, because it seems he would just downplay it) would be amazing, first of all it's really cheap, and PS2 used games go for even cheaper. I could literally buy a PS2 and a couple of games for the amount of money I use to buy a new Xbox 360 (PS3) game! Also, every game could easily be bought at around 5 dollars tops, think about it, I could literally buy 12 games for what I would get one new game nowadays)[I know this is a bit of a stretch, but he doesn't have to know that] making it a big saving for you long-term."

Something along those lines. Also, try to focus on the whole downplaying how much he's spending, and how much you are getting. "It comes with two controllers, meaning I won't have to buy controllers at all!" for example.

Good luck!

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
vdeity said:
We all want to be game designers when we're kids.
It'll pass.

:p

PCSX2
I knew a comment like that would come, but I'm dead serious here (nothing like: "OHH I HAZ BEST GAME IDEA EVA: SHOOTING ALIENS IN DE FACE 2!!!", not at all). I know about the emulator, but I heard that you need a very good PC to run games properly and you need a original ps2 bios data file ( and I won't download that from the internet illegaly), so so much for that.

Zyst said:
First of all, you CAN have a paypal account when you are 18.
Second, you don't need his money, you can work for it yourself?
Third, get into a real college and going to study programming, don't just read books because that won't be worth shit unless you become really REALLY good.

But I'm derailing a bit. Ok, try to make this argument, of course, word it with your own words:

"Father, the advantage of having a PS2 to play with (Don't say research, because it seems he would just downplay it) would be amazing, first of all it's really cheap, and PS2 used games go for even cheaper. I could literally buy a PS2 and a couple of games for the amount of money I use to buy a new Xbox 360 (PS3) game! Also, every game could easily be bought at around 5 dollars tops, think about it, I could literally buy 12 games for what I would get one new game nowadays)[I know this is a bit of a stretch, but he doesn't have to know that] making it a big saving for you long-term."

Something along those lines. Also, try to focus on the whole downplaying how much he's spending, and how much you are getting. "It comes with two controllers, meaning I won't have to buy controllers at all!" for example.

Good luck!
I think you misunderstood me a bit here. I have the money, the money isn't the problem as I already said.
With the progamming, yes I know, but I just want to have basic programming skills, because I've heard that that is already enough for a game designer, but whatever.
The idea with the whole downplaying thing is really really good! But I'm not sure if I can convince him with the very cheap price. The thing is that he thinks that the ps2 is useless!
Thank you very much anyway!

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Can't you just ask him? My dad once bought me a £1,500 guitar just because I asked. Why do you need to convince him? If not, get someone else to buy it. There is a load of ways round this. Pick one up at a second hand shop. Buy one out of the paper?

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Sober Thal said:
You have money, so get a checking account, then get a debit card. Then buy it yourself.

Why don't you do this? How old are you, and where are you from? I'm fairly sure you are eligible for a checking account.
This is true.

Also, considering your earlier post how about going for the always good "Hey, I'll give you the cash right now, just please let me buy this over the internet." I usually used that approach when I needed to buy something over the internet before.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
Huh? doesn't ps3 have backwards compatibility? If no get a firmware or sumthin' :p

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
MrGFunk said:
Can't you just ask him? My dad once bought me a £1,500 guitar just because I asked. Why do you need to convince him? If not, get someone else to buy it. There is a load of ways round this. Pick one up at a second hand shop. Buy one out of the paper?
Wow, is that true? 0.0 That with the second hand shop is a good idea, does gamestop sell used ps2s(silly question)?

Sober Thal said:
You have money, so get a checking account, then get a debit card. Then buy it yourself.

Why don't you do this? How old are you, and where are you from? I'm fairly sure you are eligible for a checking account.
Well. I'm 14, I live in Germany and I have a cash card nothing more nothing less.

Zyst said:
Sober Thal said:

This is true.

Also, considering your earlier post how about going for the always good "Hey, I'll give you the cash right now, just please let me buy this over the internet." I usually used that approach when I needed to buy something over the internet before.
Hmmm, worth a try. I'll talk to him, I hope I can convince him that it isn't a waste of money.

sushkis2 said:
Huh? doesn't ps3 have backwards compatibility? If no get a firmware or sumthin' :p
I have a ps3 slim, so so much for backwards compatibility(Grrrrr).

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
my local gamestop has used slim ps2's for around $60. pretty good deal, I might eventually pick up one, there's plenty of ps1 and ps2 classics to buy.

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
Catface Meowmers said:
my local gamestop has used slim ps2's for around $60. pretty good deal, I might eventually pick up one, there's plenty of ps1 and ps2 classics to buy.
Yeah that's a pretty good deal, I hope my local gamestop has something like that too. But I don't think so. Well, I'll go there tomorrow.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Don't try to claim playing a few PS2 games on top of what all the other systems have to offer makes a difference for your future career. It won't. You could play all the games in the world and still not know how to create one. Besides, a beginning designer practically has to work with simpler designs. Boardgames, arcade games and old console games (which you can play emulated on the PC) are the most useful.

That said, if you just want to play the games, the argument that a PS2 plus a couple of games will cost less than a couple of games for your existing systems should be good enough to get one. Saving the cash up front is a good suggestion because it lets your father know you are serious about playing that stuff and are not so likely to abandon it immediately.