How to destroy an anthill?

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
I need help guys.

There is a massive anthill in my backyard, and I need to destroy it. It's about three feet across. I need new suggestions.

We've already tried hot water, soapy hot water, cold water, vinegar, Javex, and Raid. None of them worked. I really don't want to dig up a massive hole in my backyard, but I'm getting desperate. They. Must. Die.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
bug killer?
fire?
hose pipe shoved into the nest and turned on full blast?
dynamite?

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
lighter fluid and a long match, as long is it is far from flamible objects. If it isn't, ammonia should work

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Pour liquid nitrogen down it.

Oh, I'm sorry, did you want a feasible solution? Yeah, I got nothing. Call some exterminators if it's really bad.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
pipe and smash it in then put something flammable (like petrol put less expensive) into the tunnels and light it on fire.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Fire. And please record it and post it up here. I've always wanted to do it myself but I don't have a lawn anymore.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Purchase aardvark. Let aardvark roam free in your garden. Problem solved.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Poisoned bate, sprinkle some on and around the ant hill and the workers will bring it into the colony and their pretty much history. I have a long and genocidal history with ants, so you can trust that I know what I'm talking about...

Purkki

Apr 4, 2010
Kill every one of those pests with your bare hands. One - by - one.
Just joking, tear that nest up with a shovel or something, they'll move away. If they don't tear it up again and start a campfire on it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Do you know what kind of ants? That's pretty important. If they are just an indigenous ant you might want to try something to get them to move on or establish a newer home than you can control. If they are fire ants or Argentine ants then you'll probably have to get serious help like an exterminator. See if you can catch one or to and try to take a few pictures to show the entire ant, then maybe see if you can find anything to compare it to online.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Have you tried convincing them to leave? All this violence gets nobody amywhere; open negotiations with the ants, and try to understand the issue from their point of view. Dressing up as an ant may help as well.

Versago

May 28, 2009
Exterminatus.

Alternatively I've heard of pouring boiling water/ poison.
You're probably better off googling it.

Google result 1: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070509203733AAqRLEA - use "Grits" to make them explode.
Google is your friend :p
(And ant's enemy)

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Phlakes said:
Fire. And please record it and post it up here. I've always wanted to do it myself but I don't have a lawn anymore.
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Gasoline.

Then, light it for good measure.
William MacKay said:
pipe and smash it in then put something flammable (like petrol put less expensive) into the tunnels and light it on fire.
Pyromaniacs FTW!

So this, buy a lot of petrol, and pour it down the hole and around the soil there. Let it soak for about 30seconds to 2 minutes, allowing fumes to build up in the ant tunnels. Then stand back (for your eyebrows) and light it. Problem solved awesomely and cheaply.