How to fill a summer holiday

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
I've created this thread to get suggestions how to kill time between now and September, a week has passed since I've finished high school so I now sit in a strange time period in whch I have nothing to be stressed about and have very little to fill it with.

So my question is "How did/will/wish you spent your summer break?"
So far I have: pass both driving tests, learn to ride a motorcycle, visit relatives and a to book a lads holiday at some point

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Well my first summer after graduation was spent play Transformers War For Cybertron but I beat it 3 days....so then I went on walks.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
As a guy in the EXACT situation as you, I'm trying to find a job. It is not working very well sadly.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Copious amounts of lube and tissues.

I'll just be relaxing and hanging out with friends.
I'll also be doing some work for my parents, working towards my driving test, and visiting Harstad and New York.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
By doing FUCK ALL other than video games.

Day Z will take up most of my time me thinks :3

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
After work its usually playing games, working out, see friends, get drunk, or get important shit done.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Work. Work, work, and more work.

Seriously, get a job and you won't complain about having too much free time. (Not saying you're doing that, BTW.)

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I'll probably visit friends down in England at some point, play video games, read a book and whatever else happens to crop up.

I have the sound track for your LADs holiday Feeder - Seven Days In The Sun

straymatter

May 1, 2012
I am an expert in having fuck-all to do, so here are my suggestions:

... take up a hobby or two. Anything you've ever been interested in, start doing it. Look around for community education if it's a skill you can't learn on your own (or just want to do with other people). If you need a group, scan meetup.com or craigslist or, failing that, start your own.
... sign up at your local gym. Whether or not you use the machines, there are usually plenty of classes to fill your time with. It's productive and a great mood boost.
... read /all of the things/. I hang out with a bunch of old fogeys and their common regret is that they didn't read enough when they were younger and had the time to do it.
... volunteer! Libraries, retirement homes, soup kitchens, animal shelters--there's always something to help out with in your neighborhood. Inquire at a local church if you're at a loss for contacts because they have plenty (even if you're not religious and don't belong to the congregation).

Or, you know, eat taco-flavored Doritos or Dorito-encrusted tacos and play vidya games.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I bought a Roxio Game Capture card, which I will use to record game footage and put it up on the tubes.

It's gonna be a fun summer. :3

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Learn to juggle.

Start writing/drawing/playing an instrument. Doesn't have to be that good if you aren't doing it for money, just enjoyment. obviously the end goal is to both good and enjoying it, but the second's okay without the first.

Learn a new language.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
you could said:
-work out
-read
-play copious amounts of videogames
-try to learn a new language/skill/other thing
-"fix" random things. You are now a master landscaper, cabinet maker, and carpenter in one.
What I do is to sit outside with a book and make it a point not to be bothered with, well except when by things I don't mind. Even if you don't feel like reading you can people watch.

shadowseal22

Oct 3, 2010
Expand your musical horizons. Fall in love with hip-hop, post rock, shoegaze, dreampop, noise rock, or any other genre that you arn't well versed in. That's how I spend all of my summers, if you arn't listening to at least 3 new albums a day you are doing it wrong.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
If you have no commitments this summer, then now is the time to sink time into projects and explore new hobbies. Learn a musical instrument, learn to draw, start flying R/C planes, write short stories, read books you've always wanted to read. Essentially now is free time to explore things you have never had time for, nor that you thought you might enjoy or be good at. If by the summer you've tried tons of new things and never enjoyed or were good at any of them who cares, this was time you were going to (for lack of a better word) waste anyways. Who knows you might find a new hobby or something you like.

This is coming from the guy who spent last summer learning to fly R/C planes.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Kaytastrophe said:
If you have no commitments this summer, then now is the time to sink time into projects and explore new hobbies. Learn a musical instrument, learn to draw, start flying R/C planes, write short stories, read books you've always wanted to read. Essentially now is free time to explore things you have never had time for, nor that you thought you might enjoy or be good at. If by the summer you've tried tons of new things and never enjoyed or were good at any of them who cares, this was time you were going to (for lack of a better word) waste anyways. Who knows you might find a new hobby or something you like.

quite a costly habit? I was going to recommend RC cars but seeing how an entry level truck ran me $200 I didn't think it was the best to suggest.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
yeti585 said:
Kaytastrophe said:

quite a costly habit? I was going to recommend RC cars but seeing how an entry level truck ran me $200 I didn't think it was the best to suggest.
You would be surprised, I thought so too. I managed to find a cheap airplane for about 100 bucks. Look around and you can get some rather cheap.