How to Fix Electronic Arts

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
How to Fix Electronic Arts

A bit of passion would go a long way towards repairing EA.

Read Full Article

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
well said good sir. It would be nice to see a large gaming company that is run by people who love games instead of people who only know how to run a business

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This stuff is so obvious to us gamers. Be sure to send this article to EA executives.

This is basically why Valve is so successful. Anticipating market changes and what consumers want is key. That's exactly what Valve did years ago with their digital distribution platform. They knew what the future holds before everyone else did and now they're reaping most of the benefits. Valve is a company of gamers. As gamers and software developers they have the full insight into the industry and how it works. That's why they're so successful at what they do. It's so painfully obvious, which is why EA's decisions frustrate me to no end. It isn't that hard to understand gaming industry. I've seen here on The Escapist that most users can predict which games and trends will prove successful and which ones won't. That's how fuckin' obvious it is. A random member of a gaming forum could have run EA better than that moron.

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
Like any ecosystem, a good forest fire to clear out the dead wood to make way for new growth is needed. I think we are just watching the start of the fire that will clear out one of the big fat, slow to adapt dinosaurs of the industry and good will come out of it's corpse when it comes to rest.

But save it? No, let it die.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
The only solution to the EA problem is the company going under and freeing up the IP's to be taken up by people who actually give a shit about making a game. No matter who is at the helm of EA, its owned by investors. And they won't let off the leash of mediocre money maker titles. As a company it is totally dysfunctional to its customers. There is no fixing this level of broken. Sometimes you just have to admit that its a complete failure, and start over from scratch.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I was listening to this while reading... it was like the lead up to a final battle.
Im not sure what to think about EA, they seem to cause so much trouble yet them going under would result in the loss of so many artistic endeavours, not to mention jobs. I'd like to say maybe whoevers put in charge will turn it around but I won't hold my breathe. The folk on top will most likely elect another from their ranks who will continue to make the same mistakes and it will go exactly the same way... I suppose it would be more humane to put EA out of its misery now... *gets shotgun* don't cry...

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Fixing EA in 3 steps.

1) Destroy Origin

2) Stop making copy/paste games the focus and at the same time remove any/all microtransactions
**This also includes not publishing half complete games and then "patching" out the issues.

3) Make every game available as widely as possible. Including PC.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh EA isn't alone in making shitty decisions. Most Publishers have been making them, it's just that EA has been the worst offender.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Shamus, I can't get over how well written and level-headed your articles are. You always offer wisdom and insight where others offer only rage and vitriol.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
cidbahamut said:
Shamus, I can't get over how well written and level-headed your articles are. You always offer wisdom and insight where others offer only rage and vitriol.
He saves all his rage and vitriol for Spoiler Warning [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?page_id=16386]. In fairness, it's generally deserved.

toliman

Oct 16, 2007
Oh, EA.

Cash Addicted, Sociopathic EA.

if it were a person, it would be a geniune megalomaniac, that special shining example of NPD, that would sell your own furniture to you while you were in your house, and succeed.

It never seemed that EA was a small business that could turn around and change, or a small business that scaled itself upwards into a "large" boutique developer, like blizzard or any of the hundreds of small game companies absorbed into EA or Activision.

It remarkably acted as if it were a parody of every large organisation where middle management produced ideas that had to filter on down to the workers, E.g. Direct marketing via ads in games, microtransaction-heavy free to play games, always online play, creating social network obligations, microtransactions via in-game storefronts, digital deluxe packaged preorders, tiered preorder packages, preordered DLC packages branded as Premium, subscription model content for non-MMO games, regional allocations and regional pricing, sic. etc.

All terrible ideas when replicated across a broad range of games that don't need the promotional tools added in, and all generally unpopular changes that increased revenues and were mildly successful at the expense of customer retention.

The parody escalates when they really don't see problems.

Judging from the last 5 years, management would have had to be insulated from using its own products, exceptionally given the number of unrevealed DLC plans and post-game sales options in finished games, the akward backpedalling when PR, and a mea culpa is presented to the customer base after all is said and sold and done.

There should be some other reason, but i think we believe in the product more than the people selling it, and when the product fails, it really breaks that relationship too. of course, it's selective memory. EA has probably corrected it's more egregious errors internally. you'd hope so.

EA, is all about selling the short-lived experience over years.
if they fail to meet the expectations of people seeing EA and expecting AAA content too many times, the entire brand suffers. PC gamers have abandoned EA after the deleterious effect of Origin, Simcity, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, etc. iOS gamers have been burned by the latest F2P model of selling repeat gameplay, MMO gamers have been burned in general, and while console gamers are pretty stoic, there's only so many franchises to tap in a year.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I agree that EA needs leadership that "gets" games. But at this point, EA also needs leadership that's capable of saying, "Okay, investors. You know how we said we were going to do *this*, because it would make us lots of money? It was a mistake. Yes, I know it cost us a lot of money to make that mistake, but it's not going to cost us less money to keep making that mistake, and in the meantime it's shredding our already flagging reputation and alienating our long-time customers. We need to be willing to write that investment off as a bad one and turn the ship ninety degrees- if not one hundred eighty degrees- if we're going to thrive in the next decade."

I am, shall we say, not entirely confident EA is going to get leadership with that kind of guts. I think it's more likely to get more people focused on false ideas of efficiency and short-term profit. I think it's going to go through another big round of layoffs justified by its hammered profits, and those layoffs are probably going to hit hardest at the people in EA stable studios who actually know what they're doing.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Amen, brother Shamus. I have been of this mindset about EA and several other game companies for while. Whether it's age, background, work experience, or preference, I feel that the people at the heads of many of these companies are completely out of touch with the world they operate in. The growth of games being crowdfunded shows that we are getting tired of this disconnected approach. It's kind of hard to give customers what they want when you're not a customer. Also, never trust a skinny chef.

wolfwood_is_here

Self-Aware Hypocrite
Jun 27, 2008
EA made bad business decisions, and those kinds of decisions aren't unique to the video game industry. Are video games any more volatile than the current handheld electronics or fashion industries? Are video game consumers any more fickle than the ones for movies and TV?

Their failures are the same things that will kill any business. That they made bad business decisions indicates that they didn't have a competent leader, and while a CEO should care about their product, passion alone isn't enough to run a successful business.

Alan Mulally did a fantastic job when he went from Boeing to Ford. He has even been quoted as, just prior to taking the helm at Ford, extolling the virtues of Lexus vehicles. Since then, he's been making decisions that have helped keep Ford relevant in a way that GM couldn't do with Saturn and Pontiac, let alone their core brand of Chevy. Airplanes and cars, while both modes of transportation, have completely different factors driving their development/production/support. Turns out that despite these differences, him having solid business sense and focusing on the core brand by selling off the acquisitions they'd made under the previous leadership, it has been enough to keep Ford above water in a very difficult time for auto manufacturers.

So how to fix EA? Get them a CEO like Mulally. Bonus points if s/he understands the video game industry intimately, but that shouldn't be the requirement, because there are certainly industries with greater volatility, more fickle customers, and greater costs for production. EA needs to stop trying to be the "old Ford" with competing product structure, and sell off their Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo investments. They need to trim down if they're to change the inertia they've already got in the wrong direction.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Oh EA isn't alone in making shitty decisions. Most Publishers have been making them, it's just that EA has been the worst offender.
The article talked about that.
Lots of really big companies have squandered fortunes making EA-type mistakes.
And it's important to focus on EA because
they're a massive company that controls a huge portion of the AAA games that make up our hobby.
I agree that it's important to hate on everyone who is making bad decisions. But when one person or group is leading the charge to stupidity, it is useful to focus fire on them so that hopefully others won't follow them.

[small]That being said, those who hate on EA just to hate on EA aren't especially helpful.[/small]

Jun 23, 2008
Not to poop everyone's party, but I'm going to poop everyone's party.

I think this is going to go EXACTLY as the recent Roman Catholic conclave:

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

To borrow a different phrase from Maximilien Robespierre

With regret I pronounce this fatal truth: Louis must die so that the nation may live.

So I suspect it is with EA and the games industry.

238U