How to make a fortune from hipsters:

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Take retro and/or nerdy character:
Add glasses and tattoos.
Post to Teefury.
???
Profit.

I ain't saying I'm sick of this trend... but I'm pretty fucking sick of this trend, it's not funny, original or clever, wearing that style of design doesn't make you cute or quirky, it just makes you a person who may or may not have once hung on tumblr and/or whatever the current hipster hide out is. But perhaps the most annoying thing about it is not only how creatively bankrupt it is, because let's face it, it's pretty creatively bankrupt, but now it's also overdone and over saturated to the point, that what was originally a pretty cool idea (let's look at classic characters through the lens of modern fashion) has become it's own cliché.

Plus I'm pretty sure wearing non-prescriptive glasses is ablism.

That said, what current visual/graphic design trends just really get your goat at the moment?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Rellik San said:
I wear glasses because I need to in order to look at stuff. I don't feel all that offended when people get glasses just because they like how it looks. I love the idea that wearing glasses makes you handsome.

On-topic, mashup T-shirts. Usually they just take Popular Thing One and Popular Thing Two, as if they were a T-shirt designing Cat in the Hat, and put them on a T-shirt together.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Rellik San said:
I wear glasses because I need to in order to look at stuff. I don't feel all that offended when people get glasses just because they like how it looks. I love the idea that wearing glasses makes you handsome.
Don't get me wrong I need my distance glasses for driving, I was just having a little laugh at the expense of the fashion concious there. :)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Rellik San said:
Queen Michael said:
Rellik San said:
Don't get me wrong I need my distance glasses for driving, I was just having a little laugh at the expense of the fashion concious there. :)
Ah, okay. Sorry, mate. =) Poe's law and all.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The problem with hipsters is that they focus their culture on the odd or "non-mainstream", so when something hipster-y starts gathering a non-hipster fandom, the hipsters will pull a "this sucks because it's mainstream and I'm too special for it" and then move onto their next obscure piece of shit.

It's the vicious cycle of hipsters. The mainstream is an ever-hungering beast, and eventually, there will be mainstream things to cater to everyone... except the hipsters. I think that they're a hard inherently hard to market to.

Also, Japanese fashion. All of it. I hate all of it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The thread title remind me of this-
I can't remember the exact tumblr site but in one of them, someone mention about buying that hat for a grand but then someone else posted above that it was a fake or rather it can be recreated easily so yeah...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Scarim Coral said:
I can't remember the exact tumblr site but in one of them, someone mention about buying that hat for a grand but then someone else posted above that it was a fake or rather it can be recreated easily so yeah...
Wait. A 'fake' as opposed to what? Did it purport to belong to the real Rainbow Dash?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Silvanus said:
Scarim Coral said:
Wait. A 'fake' as opposed to what? Did it purport to belong to the real Rainbow Dash?
I think there is a real Rainbow Dash fedora for sale that doesn't cost £1000 or maybe it can be made cheaply and was overpriced. It was on Tumblr somewhere so I don't remember the exact statement made toward that hat.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Tattoos are mainstream? Ugh. I hate tattoos. Sometimes they can be nice, but too many overuse them. They end up looking gaudy and gross. Piercings, too.

Anyway - yeah, I agree, it's a pretty stupid trend. But if you've been on Tumblr for a few weeks, you'll begin to realize that everything popular quickly becomes a stupid trend. Like, here's the general life cycle of a meme on Tumblr:

Person has good idea/makes a funny joke > many tumblrinas reblog it > other person who is desperate for notes makes a post ripping it off (Repeat this step several hundred times) > tumblrinas are pack mentality-ridden morons and reblog that too (Repeat this step several hundred times) > a thousand different posts doing the same damn thing scroll across your dash on any given day, and due to the fact that tumblr doesn't clean repeat posts off your dash, you best hope to God that only have to see each post once > Tumblr stops abusing the meme, not because they got tired of it, but because they probably got distracted by something shiny.

Liberally sprinkle in empty, repetitious comments like "DYING" or "i liteRALLY CAN'T" and "If you don't reblog I'm seriously judging you." Sit back and watch as a bunch of teenage idiots who revel in their "originality" mindlessly parrot each other and call it subversive.

...Has my seething hatred for Tumblr been made apparent yet?

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I agree, it's dumb. Like all the Disney Princesses from the Disney Renaissance and pre-that era being decked out with Skrillex hairstyles and eight kabillion tats. It's just excessive.

HOWEVER, I'd rather see 3000 pictures of that bull than ONE incest pairing garbage. Oh... maybe I should switch that seeing as how it's impossible to AVOID stupid incest ships; God forbid I like my characters not being underage and having sex.

BUT THIS THREAD isn't about the disgusting behaviour Tumblr people exhibit.

Yes, it's infuriating how Hipsters just can't seem to enjoy anything but when I think about it, I don't need to really be around to taunt hipsters because they kind of do it to themselves.

(Though I have legitimately been asked if I actually need my glasses or if I just wear them for show and for some reason, that question bothers me)

Carzinex

Mar 29, 2011
Spider RedNight said:
(Though I have legitimately been asked if I actually need my glasses or if I just wear them for show and for some reason, that question bothers me)
I get it, you dont want to be counted as a shallow idiot who cares only for how you look.

Kinda like how i get "you shave your head to look hard or something?" no i shave my head cos im going bald u fuckers :)

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I just went on TeeFury's website and holy shit, from a legal standpoint, is this allowed? The art on tons of those shirts are using stuff from franchises and I doubt all of it is (or any are) licensed...

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
Start bar, use doors instead of tables over tree stumps, serve alcohol in jars and food on wood slabs. Charge stupid money. Profit.

P.s name bar something ridiculous and nonsensical.

Apr 25, 2009
Silvver said:
Start bar, use doors instead of tables over tree stumps, serve alcohol in jars and food on wood slabs. Charge stupid money. Profit.

I propose Riddlecriff.

Needs exorbitant alternative eating options for every diet and philosophy on the planet.

Twenty five different kinds of ciders, craft spiced beers and exotic cocktails.

Deer heads and quirky natural deco made with driftwood and old car parts on the walls. Big frayed old couches around little tables with board and card games.

Let's do this.

Sad thing is I'd probably actually hang out there a couple of times if my friends did, sounds kinda cool.

I don't mind hipsters all that much as long as they keep their tastes quiet and to themselves (which the vast majority don't).

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
Digi7 said:
Silvver said:

I propose Riddlecriff.

Needs exorbitant alternative eating options for every diet and philosophy on the planet.

Deer heads and quirky natural deco made with driftwood and old car parts on the walls. Big frayed old couches around little tables with board and card games.

Let's do this.

Sad thing is I'd probably actually hang out there a couple of times if my friends did, sounds kinda cool.

I don't mind hipsters all that much as long as they keep their tastes quiet and to themselves (which the vast majority don't).
Love it!

Its not an issue..but you get the ones.. I liked it before it was popular or a book movie comes out and suddenly they've read all the books and its not the same. I.e when Lord of the Rings came out. Everyone on the planet had already read the books apparently and it wasn't as good. That sort of hipster douche! The superiority complex hipsters.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Digi7 said:
Silvver said:

I propose Riddlecriff.

Let's do this.

But then they would only ever buy one drink each once a week, because they are Hipsters and need to keep up the illusion of being poor.