How to make an ideal text opening in RPG Maker VX Ace.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I'm making a small project in RPG Maker VX Ace, and I intend to open with a text opening (it's stylized as being in media res, and the opening is meant to tell the story up to that point). I watched a youtube video on making one, and it definitely helped, the problem is that there's a minor flaw with making a text opening. The flaw is at 4:17, anyone know how to eliminate it?: http://youtu.be/tl7tA5i_80o?t=4m17s

TL;DR I want to make a text opening, there's a flaw in the opening shown in the linked video at 4:17, any way to remove that flaw?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Come on could you talk specifics when asking technical questions... we aren't politicians here.
I'm guessing you are referring to the character appearing in the intro? Last I played around with this engine it took quite a moronic workaround, you needed a blank starting map, set transparency on by default and then your character opacity to zero, and then I think it would work. I haven't got it installed anymore so I can't lead you through the menus but that shouldn't be too hard.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Try different commands to see what hold priority over the game showing the character sprite.
In the video, it seems like he turns the sprite invisible directly. Try forcing the screen to stay black for a second or so longer and then make the sprite invisible. Make sure this is running by an Autorun event, so nothing else may happen at the same time.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Xaio30 said:
Try different commands to see what hold priority over the game showing the character sprite.
In the video, it seems like he turns the sprite invisible directly. Try forcing the screen to stay black for a second or so longer and then make the sprite invisible. Make sure this is running by an Autorun event, so nothing else may happen at the same time.
You mean fading out the screen?, tried that, didn't work.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Come on could you talk specifics when asking technical questions... we aren't politicians here.
I'm guessing you are referring to the character appearing in the intro? Last I played around with this engine it took quite a moronic workaround, you needed a blank starting map, set transparency on by default and then your character opacity to zero, and then I think it would work. I haven't got it installed anymore so I can't lead you through the menus but that shouldn't be too hard.
Exactly the problem I was talking about. One has to wonder why they didn't make it easier to fix something like that.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
You mean fading out the screen?, tried that, didn't work.
Another way is to set the default opacity value to zero in the Script Editor:
Though that makes EVERY Event Sprite invisible by default. Manually making every event visible for the rest of the game doesn't sound very fun, does it?
You need someone with a better understanding of Ruby to help you.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
From what I can recall, the answer is in the Database, under the System tab. Check the "transparent on" box. There is some setting in the events that will let you turn this off once your intro is complete.

Jan 27, 2011
...eh?

Hang on, can't you just stop the character from showing up from the word go by just ticking the "transparent ON" checkbox in the Database, on the "System" tab?

I use VX axe frequently and that's always worked for me.

EDIT: DOH. Someone necro'd this thread. Damn. *facepalm*

Moderator Edit: Thread locked to avoid further necro-ness.