How to sexualize a male character?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'd suggest conducting a survey, using a big target group of women, a large assortment of different depictions of men, and a rating system.

Get it from the source, so to speak.

That should be fairly easy to set up, at least, and hell, you could look around here for volunteers for the target market, I suspect!

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Apparenly, people (women. Real women) find Beast from Beauty and The Beast sexy. Why?

Troubled past, dark history, flip-side personlity that'd make a lovestruck tsundere seem like an annoyed, blind kitten, and lots and lots of money.

And I think he was the first Disney character on-screen to be naked. Interpret that as you will.

But in terms of actually being eye-candy... female sexuality is very different from male sexuality, so there are a lot more ideals for men than women, or at least so it seems. Here's an idea:

Gather every single women around 20-40 who you know.
Obtain pictures of male models
Hold a "Hot Man Meeting"
Gather results
-This is how Disney makes some of their Disney Princes, notabely with Flynn Rider and Prince Naveen.

A lot of it also has to do with personality and troubled, dark pasts and defrosting ice kings and all that stuff, so personality is probably a much bigger thing for female-oriented fanservice than male-oriented fanservice.

Really, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but there's probably a lot of information on this online. Hell, even this website is a gold-spring for information like this.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Lieju said:
NeutralDrow said:

Or maybe that's just personal appeal. I'm straight as a ruler in a waffle press and I'd still melt into those arms given the chance.
WTF is that and why it has no nipples?
This is something that bothers me in both male and female characters, it looks really creepy to me, but based on what straight females I know have said, they also appreciate seeing nipples on anime/cartoon characters.

Also nice butts.

There are also obviously different preferences, but seeing a character who is normally in charge and powerful being in a vulnerable position seems to do it at least for some women.
To answer your question, because it is actually important, its illegal to show nipples in any form of visual entertainment in japan. Note: This is only for public, non-restrained consumption IE, television. It goes differently for hentai/yaoi/sex games that you play privately.

One example would be the DBZ series - the versions with nipples/circles for nipples are actually uncut (I believe.)

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Again: sexy, sexual, and sexualize are all different things. Sexualizing is inherently doing it wrong, because you are trying to force "sexy" or "sexual" in places it doesn't belong. Like ridiculously skimpy armor in a realistic setting on a woman who wouldn't want to wear it.

I assume what the OP wants are dudes whose character design is made to get reactions like "hot damn! from the straight ladies or gay guys. I know this is the gaming forum but JoJo Part 2 is sounding really applicable! Although I can't find enough images in Joseph wearing a revealing midriff so have some Aikurou instead.

There is Free! as well but I haven't really watched it, though I'm pretty sure it's softcore yaoi.

Gankytim

May 14, 2014
You ever see or Channing Tatum? Do that but put him in really teeny tiny clothes. Also oil up them muscles. And stuff about six socks down his pants.

All you really gotta do is get an attractive character and accentuate their "attributes".

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Angelblaze said:
Lieju said:
NeutralDrow said:

Or maybe that's just personal appeal. I'm straight as a ruler in a waffle press and I'd still melt into those arms given the chance.
WTF is that and why it has no nipples?
This is something that bothers me in both male and female characters, it looks really creepy to me, but based on what straight females I know have said, they also appreciate seeing nipples on anime/cartoon characters.

Also nice butts.

There are also obviously different preferences, but seeing a character who is normally in charge and powerful being in a vulnerable position seems to do it at least for some women.
To answer your question, because it is actually important, its illegal to show nipples in any form of visual entertainment in japan. Note: This is only for public, non-restrained consumption IE, television. It goes differently for hentai/yaoi/sex games that you play privately.

One example would be the DBZ series - the versions with nipples/circles for nipples are actually uncut (I believe.)
I didn't know that. I mean, I've seen plenty of nipples in manga, even in stuff aimed at a younger audience, like Inuyasha. ?
But in any case, from what I've gathered, straight women want to see nipples.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Mave said:
so.... I'm designing/writing something for a personal project , and I wanted to give this a try, to make sexualized characters, eye candy for the females. ... why you ask !??

NO I'm not trying to make a statement o anything like that, I just want to give this a try... really, I want to be able to make any kind of characters if I need to.
Found this and thought of your thread: http://gdcvault.com/play/1020520/Fewer-Tifas-or-More-Sephiroths

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Most of what people here have posted as "sexy" or "sexualized", I find utterly repulsive. I am female with an extremely high sex drive and prefer a man with some meat on him but not a "meat head".
This type of build and pose is sexier than one that is trying to hard:

or this one of Matt Damon:
http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photos/mattdamon/matt-damon-shirt-off-shirt-off-100161095.jpg

Now for actually being "sexualized", I don't think much outside of insinuating sex acts, positions, or masturbation as being all that sexualized. I am not seeing how they are sexualized by simply being shirtless, or even naked. Being sexy and being sexualized are entirely different.

I know this is a matter of taste, but I found the skinny anime guys grotesque looking and Johnny Depp mace worthy gross. Not because I do not like men or sex, In fact I LOVE men and daily sex, just those type of men repulse me.

Faces, body language, personality and a good smile are also very important, but if they are too bony or underweight, I have a hard time even looking at them without being grossed out.

If you want to have an actual "sexualized character" an erection would be a requirement I would think. Making men feminine or "like ken dolls" down there is definitely not what I would consider sexualized from a female POV.

Although this might be considered portraying a man as a "sex object":

Though I am not sure if that is a sex object more than it is a "desk".

Edit: This Hosiery ad with a woman walking naked men on a leash I would think would safely said to be sexualizing men.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IxFbDVkq7a0/SM8ks4UjDOI/AAAAAAAAAGY/jmE3VIio7bs/s1600-h/voodoo_01.jpg

Oh and heres a good one!
Hercules captured by amazon women:
http://www.orgonebox.org/allegoric/wp-content/gallery/sorbo_kevin/hercules-amazon-women/hercules_amazon_wmn_(27).jpg