How to thrive with a useless talent?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Come on! With the internet, even being talented at nothing but playing videogames can be used for success in multiple ways. Defining useful talent as something that makes easier to get and keep a job is way too limiting. That kind of success isn't the only way to thrive in life. Lots of business owners don't have any talents that would make them candidates for hiring at all.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
Happyninja42 said:
And yet millions of actors work all the time, doing regular jobs in the acting business, on small scale projects, and do just fine.

So how about you just tell us what this useless skill is that you have, or is this simply just some weird hypothetical hill you've decided to plant your flag on, declaring some skills to be useless, so you can argue with people who say otherwise?

Because it's pretty fucking pointless to try and actually answer your question without knowing the skill. As the way to move forward isn't just one answer for all skills.
To be perfectly honest, I don't know what my talent is. I dunno if I even have anything I'm good at. I was just asking hypothetically.
Well then the hypothetical answer is "Find the way that you could market that hypothetical skill, and do that." There really isn't anything else to say in such a vague and hypothetical discussion.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
There are methods of self publishing if one were to have the confidence and motivation. Just because it doesn't land you a safe, regular job, does not mean they cannot be honed and utilised for a worthwhile income. Been supping the capitalist koolaid too long methinks. Perfect what you need before you present.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Silentpony said:
Then ya' gotta get back to crusading, Crusader. Start by making a cartoon map of your town, decide what activities take place where, and start from the top and get going.
Extra points for a jaunty tune.

Assuming I'm currently replying to Applebloom (and how you're able to use a human keyboard with hooves, I'll never know), kinda wish your consultation services were in my area.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
The key to success in a capitalist society is figuring out how to apply your strengths to the market in a way that brings you the level of financial prosperity you want.

Talent in arts? Become a school teacher. The pay isn't great but you won't starve.

Sports? Study kinesthesiology, become a personal trainer, be a coach.

Acting? Join an acting agency, get rented out to movies as an extra or to commercials. You probably won't make it big but again, you won't starve and you could always get lucky.

When it comes down to it, there aren't useless talents. It's all a matter of application, and your own cleverness in exploiting your talents. A capitalist society operates on those with capital investing. You need to find a way to make yourself worth investing into. Even someone who's only good at counting pennies could find a job counting numbers somewhere.

Also this is all assuming that financial success is the only kind of success. It isn't. To judge life on such a scale isn't what I'd call healthy or moral. You don't take money with you when you die. There's more to life than that. Personal satisfaction is what you should strive for. Part of that can very well be the material comfort money can bring, but to hold money above all else is not a satisfactory way to live. There's always more money. There's never more time. Spend your time satisfying yourself, not money. Money cares not one whit for you.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
You're being a little bit defeatist. All those things you listed are valid career fields. It's a matter of how much work you put into it and how out there you're willing to put yourself.

For example, say you want to be a game developer. Only the best of the best are going to work for Blizzard, so what? You can still earn a living making Candy Crush clones. So you don't work for Blizzard, that doesn't mean programming is a useless talent or that you're not living up to your potential.

I don't think people are naturally talented, not really. They just took to something they really liked in particular and never stopped doing it. What might look like "natural talent" is actually years of hard work and practice.

DarklordKyo said:
Useful talents are ones that maximize your ability to get a good job. Those are worthless because you need to be extremely lucky to not be a starving artist.
My college graduating class is literally composed of artists. We all have degrees in art, about 60% of them are using their degree in some shape or form and not a single one of them is starving.

While it's debatable whether they needed the degree or not to get the jobs they have, they are still making reliable, livable wages off of their "talents" [footnote]Because they worked for it.[/footnote]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
To be perfectly honest, you can get a "safe" degree and still not find success there. A good portion of how success works is all about the work you put in, the amount you're willing to risk (financial, mental, physical, emotional, temporal) and you're overall persistence. That still isn't a guarantee, you could find you're not cut out for the work, could decide what once was something you loved turned into the four-letter-word version of work (as in it feels like a curse word instead of just the regular definition).
I've been a PC tech since I was 15, that's 20 years of professionally servicing PC's and other jobs, networking, security, web development and other modalities. Recently I decided to close that avenue as a profession and seek a job elsewhere, partially because of a downturn in service demand, but mostly because I am burned out on what amounts to few interesting problems to solve and a whole lot of repetitive jobs. People might say "but you can make good money doing tech support/PC repair/etc." but my reply is: "My mental well being is threatened by what amounts to psychological repetitive stress injuries, or in, laymans terms, a job I loved became work I detest."
So in taking a pay cut, I've found I'm a little happier despite the loss of wages because you really cannot put a pricetag on stress reduction. Well I could but I don't think my customers would have appreciated a near 80% markup on their service contracts... In part because I would have needed the extra pay to get regular therapy.
Anyway, do something you want to do, have a fallback plan that allows you to do the things you want to do without starving. You don't have to choose right now exactly what you want to do, you can near-literally do whatever you want (though there's no guarantee you will succeed). Or you can pick a "safe" career/degree and always wonder "what if?"

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
You know, I've actually put a lot of thought into this. I want to be a writer, and I would like to do it full time. When I started college, though, unthought I was supposed to chase a safe career. Something like business. Do you know what I realized? The "safe" options were glutted with applicants who only chose the field because it was safe. They didn't have any real talent or interest in the field, and most of them were never going to make it. Most didn't really want to. I was never going to be a businessman or an engineer. I didn't have any real talent or passion in those areas. But I did have talent in writing. I looked at most of the books being published successfully, and knew with certainty that I had the skill to succede. So I'm working on writing a book now while focusing on a career in education. A career in the arts isn't crazy if you actually have the talent to stand above your peers, and are tenacious enough to make contacts in the industry. You just have to be smart. If you just wait around for someone to "discover" you then you'll wait forever. You have to seek your dream and make it happen.

And in a world with YouTube, Patreon, Kickstarter, and the Internet in general, there are more opportunities then ever to pursue a career in the arts.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Fox12 said:
And in a world with YouTube, Patreon, Kickstarter, and the Internet in general, there are more opportunities then ever to pursue a career in the arts.
Or you could be like the members of Gigaboots, and have a tiny sub count despite the effort they put in their reviews

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Like everyone above me has said, it take TIME for one to suceed with a talent. There is no shortcut unless you bet it on those talent shows or some person was lucky to record your acts in time.

I mean seriously, most actors/ actress, music band/ musicians and even Youtubers did start out small! Actor getting tiny roles, music bands may start out as the pre band to the main band (forgot what it was called) and even Youtuber had a few subs at the start! Example (bad one I know) PewDiePie just did games for giggles and just recorded himself to feel less scared when playing the horror games.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Silentpony said:
Everypony has a purpose, but you can't rush a cutie mark.
Silentpony, I don't think we've ever talked before, but I just want you to know that, on account of this post, I want you to never speak to me again.

Really sir. How dare you. How dare.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Saetha said:
Silentpony said:
Everypony has a purpose, but you can't rush a cutie mark.
Silentpony, I don't think we've ever talked before, but I just want you to know that, on account of this post, I want you to never speak to me again.

Really sir. How dare you. How dare.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
DrownedAmmet said:
YOUTUBE!!
Or the internet in general. This is probably the best time to have a useless talent because if you are truly talented, you can throw up a youtube or a Patreon channel and have people throw money at you
that and make sure you have your own merchandise ready to go and dont forget about copyright to beat people to death who steal your shit

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
pookie101 said:
that and make sure you have your own merchandise ready to go and dont forget about copyright to beat people to death who steal your shit
Ehh, I'd try not to be too sue happy. I mean, if I made a game, and it was good (and sometimes, even if it was bad), and someone made a Lets Play or video review on youtube, that's basically free advertising. Not to mention being sue happy can be creator suicide, just look at Digital Homicide.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
YOUTUBE!!
Or the internet in general. This is probably the best time to have a useless talent because if you are truly talented, you can throw up a youtube or a Patreon channel and have people throw money at you
Seriously, this. Kickstarter, Indiegogo and Patreon all guarantee that you can find someone to pay for your stuff. It may not be enough to make a living at first, but if you grow a dedicated fanbase and what you provide is good, then you will eventually make a living through it.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Seriously, this. Kickstarter, Indiegogo and Patreon all guarantee that you can find someone to pay for your stuff. It may not be enough to make a living at first, but if you grow a dedicated fanbase and what you provide is good, then you will eventually make a living through it.
Then again, Kickstarter or Indiegogo are all or nothing affairs (for understandable reasons, but still). Either your deliver, and you're loved by all, or you don't, and your reputation is forever tainted.