How will the recent controversy effect your media consumption?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
it won't

because the whole thing was fucking stupid and I fail to see why it managed to garner that many posts in a clusterfuck thread

say what you want about something like the ME3 ending at least people has a tangible reason to be pissed off...at least it was about an actual [I/]game[/I]
Pretty much this. Unless and until I see some actual hard evidence anything actually happened[footnote]other than a femalke developer both having and using a vagina[/footnote], I'm not going to give a damn.

It's sort of like asking how 9-11 truthers have impacted my consumption of news. Why should it?

Also, it's really weird how people went from "The Escapist is the only place we can discuss this safely" to "ewwww, SJW, unsubscribed!"

Rocket Girl said:
How exactly does one "self-censor"? Censorship is defined by Merriam Webster and Oxford Dictionary as inspection in order to destroy, remove or otherwise make unavailable content deemed objectionable.
One self-censors by then applying those things to themselves.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
There was no controversy.
There was no conspiracy.
There was no corruption.
There was nothing.
There was just a whole bunch of stupid gossipy bullshit, harassment, slut-shaming, and misogyny in a community that's already rife with the stuff.

The silver lining? These jerks gave me a whole bunch of handy charts of "SJW" journalists for me to start following (hell, I was already a fan of most of them). So I now follow a whole bunch more people at Kotaku, Bad Ass Digest, Polygon, Gamasutra, Giant Bomb, etc.
I also Un-subbed from JonTron and bought up every Double Fine game I could get my hands on, but that was over the other thing.

And I'm actually thinking about buying Depression Quest, I don't even know what the fuck it is, I just want to write a positive Steam review of it as my way of saying "fuck the po-lice!"

As for whether I'm going to stick around the Escapist, 'course I am. I watch everything Bob, Jim, and Yahtzee produce (and that includes Game Overthinker, Jim's LPs, and Lets Drown Out respectively), and these forums are the only internet outlet I have left other then Tumblr and even that's waning. You ain't gettin' rid o' me that easily!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I assume this "controversy" has something to do with Sarkeesian, I haven't been paying much attention to the whole affair anyway so I'll just continue to click on topics that are actually interesting and watch or read a few shows that I found interesting on this site.

I tend to stay away from any other kind of news site/forums too so I don't see much of any big news. This "controversy" won't affect my internet experience in any way.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Most of what you said (OP) was all stuff that I've put into effect over the last year. Maybe I'm less "cultured" for it, but I'm a lot happier as a result. I've just unfollowed people who I'm never going to agree with and who are just abrasive, I completely quit tumblr, and disabled quote notifications on the escapist.

I'm exposed to less viewpoints but I'm happier having to not deal with the same recycled bullshit and drama every day. I'm able to just enjoy my life..you know...like a normal person. It's great. Turns out I don't have to sit there and nod while people call me a piece of shit.

I've done all this before the ZQ thing thing happened. I guess I'm slightly ahead of the curve in that respect. Look at my avatar, shit's kawaii as fuck, I'm going to go enjoy some Video Games now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
-Zoe whatshername boinked a number of people.
You mostly could have stopped there, as cries of corruption have been based less on proof and more on the notion that a woman having sex must be for ulterior motives. It always struck me as the "fake gamer girl" thing, where people were convinced women were pretending to like games because....Gamers are generally such awesome catches? I mean, I'm amazing, and so is Fappy, and you're pretty cool, but that list is pretty small.

B. The game journalists and developers are commenting that the gaming scene is incredibly toxic. Never mind that GAMERS have been crying this for years; it seems once the journalists/developers say it, it becomes a grave insult rather than what they themselves have been preaching. I'm wondering if it's like the parent who rips their child constantly but will flip their shit when anyone else says anything that can be remotely taken as a possible slight against their angel...
Sort of.

I think the issue is that when we say it, we know we mean "not including me, of course, because I am awesome and nobody could take issue with me." When someone else says it, possibly even with qualifiers and disclaimers, we think "but I'm a gamer, they must be talking about me!"

Look at the way people have constructed narratives around MovieBob and Devin Faraci.

The_bear

Aug 31, 2014
I am probably bailing this ghostship of opinion. Not pleased at all. thought better of jim until now but he has proven himself to not stand up for gamers. I might catch up on yahtzee on the tube because i really, really like him.

Dollabillyall

Jul 18, 2012
Who even cares about this shit man?! Some random ass girl cheated on some random ass dude. This is not about ANYTHING relevant to me or anyone outside their personal sphere.

I can't believe I got so curious over something so uninteresting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rocket Girl said:
You snipped the relevant portion of text:
No, I kept the relevant portion of text and snipped out the issues that weren't relevant. You decided to infer weight where not merited.

However, since you asked, one can peruse their own work for things which others would find objectionable and voluntarily remove them. One can deem a work too shocking or offensive and opt not to publish. It doesn't specify that the censor has to be the offended body.

Further, one generally has to go beyond dictionary definitions for a full understanding of a word's use within a language. If words were so readily defined, I could filter this message through a free web translator and back with 1:1 accuracy.

No, I have kept the relevant part of the text and snipped on the issues that were not relevant. You have decided to deduct weight or not merit.

However, since you asked, they can browse their own work for things that others find it reprehensible and voluntarily withdraw. One can consider that a job too shocking or insulting and choose not to publish. It does not specify that the censor has be offended the body.

In addition, it should be generally to go beyond dictionary definitions for a full understanding of a word use within a language. If the words were so easily defined, i could filter this message via a free web translator and rear with 1:1 accuracy.

The_bear

Aug 31, 2014
Dollabillyall said:
Who even cares about this shit man?! Some random ass girl cheated on some random ass dude. This is not about ANYTHING relevant to me or anyone outside their personal sphere. I can't believe I got so curious over something so uninteresting.
Its much bigger then that. I can handle Corrupt big businiess greasing the media. Its often blatantly obvious but now its not business anymore. Now its bullying people to fit their agenda. And i am not gonna change for some SJW bull. I am a selfthinking consumer thank you very much.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TopazFusion said:
It's like I've woken up one day to find that most adults still believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy...
Well, that's absurd. I mean, we don't believe in them. We accept them for the real beings they are.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Chalk me up for the Not In The Fucking Slightest column.

I find the allegations of corruption pretty laughable. The only time I've ever seen gamers care about "corruption" is when a reviewer fails to score a game in such a way as to fail to provide the gamer with the confirmation they so desperately desire.

I have no interest in the whole SJWs Vs garden-variety jerkbags that this whole thing rapidly morphed into.

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
That ladies vagina has no bearing what so ever on my life. None of my business. This is the only site I really visit, never listened to a pod cast, so no change for me.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
So I lifted up my rock to take in the news, apparently a shitstorm's gone down.

Do I care? No.
Is this new? Nope.
Will it ever make me care? There's lots of dipshits, asshats and general morons out there, I've never cared about them before, I don't care about them now, nor will they ever make me care.

When they start actually slaughtering people and shouting slogans promoting gaming as a new form of religion, THEN I'll start to worry. Until then, I'll just crawl back under my rock.

I do find it sad that journalism is being treated like this.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Absolutely none.

Those parts of this controversy that have some merit (journalists being put in situations where their incentives do not totally line up with being honest) were, I thought, already well known. And those parts that don't, well. There you go.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
I just took a brief look at the last page of the shitstorm. While I understand that the grudge seems to be the ever-surging conspiracy theory about corruption in the industry, I don't understand why you keep pouring gasoline on the fire.

Also, why is it called a conspiracy THEORY? Is there any evidence for such a corruption? Because if not, it's a conspiracy hypothesis.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
It won't effect me at all since I Have no idea what the recent controversy your talking about is.
Anita Sarkessian?
Zoe Quinn?
Game websites saying they hate gamers or whatever happened with that?

It won't change how I view websites at all. I never actually use "professional" reviews from most of these websites anyway. I gave up on them being able to put out a decent review that I can actually trust ages ago, now I just get mine from Steam users or Youtubers like Angry Joe and Total biscuit.

The only gaming site I really visit much is the Escapist for it's forums and i'll probably always continue to come here unless it goes really downhill and despite many complaints, I don't think it's gone anywhere near that downhill enough for me yet.