How would gay marriage affect your life?

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
simply put, I don't happen to be gay, and as such it wouldn't affect me at all... it's not like making gay marriage legal makes straight marriage illegal or anything... so yeah... no change and no affect whatsoever.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Considering I don't know anyone who is gay, (at least not openly), I doubt it will affect me at all.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
I might, in theory, marry a man at some point? My uncle could get married to his boyfreind? That about it, really...

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Its already legal here there is no good reason for gays not to be allowed to get married.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Not at all. I'm perfectly fine with gay marriage, but some people just can't handle it...

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Orekoya said:
MasochisticMuse said:
The whole point of the argument is that there's only one answer - it wouldn't affect your life. Gay people are already dating and moving in together and making life-long commitments to each other, so giving them the title of "marriage" isn't going to change day-to-day life at all.
I know, I meant the question on a more personal level than any political level.

Maybe I should answer too. I'm already at that point of life-long commitments so yes, the title of marriage wouldn't change day-to-day life. But my partner's also disabled and I worry about the possibility of him ever needing to be hospitalized. So I would be slightly less worried about that.

Oh, also taxes. Would love me some of those tax breaks.
Perhaps I was misunderstood. Straight people's lives wouldn't change on a day-to-day basis. Gay people, on the other hand, would be given rights and benefits they should have had decades ago, and official confirmation that they're just important in society as straights (and calling it "civil union" doesn't work either. That's just the whole "separate but equal" bias rearing its head again).
I'm embarrassed by how certain groups of straight people react to this issue, as if marriage were a child's clubhouse and they can't let gay people in because they have cooties.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Being a lesbian, tho with zero interested in getting married, it could potentially affect my life GREATLY.

But beyond that, I couldn't give a toss about who is married, neither should anyone else.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Not. At. All.
America is so silly. Now where did I leave that related picture?

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
A couple people I work with would have to find something else to debate about at the top of their lungs and life would be slightly better for it.

Beyond that, nothing would change.

munsterman

Nov 22, 2009
If homosexuals would be allowed to marry nothing would change. A co-worker would finally be able to marry his partner after 20+ years of being together thats about it.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I might get married to a guy, 'cause I'd like to get married someday just for the heck of it. And since gay marriage is legal here in Sweden, well...

PhoenixOnly

Nov 18, 2009
Although I'm not against civil partnerships. The argument "How would it affect your life is?" Is not a good one. By that logic allowing children to be murdered halfway across the world should be okay ethically as it doesnt disturb you. Marriage is meant to be a religious ceromony. Sadly most religons dislike gays- its in the Bible and the Quran. Not sure about others. Allowing gays to take part in such a ceromony goes against everything they believe in. If your going to call it civil partnership then by all means go for it, that way its just legal binding and otherwise meaningful only in the eyes of the couple- which at the end of the day is all that matters. That way you only offend the homophobes (lol). Im in the UK and we've had civil partnerships for quite a while.

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
it would mean that my man and I would have a big argument over who looks better in a dress and veil and ergo gets to wear it (i got better legs, but he always looks good in a dress so its a tie), whos friends get to be the bridesmaids vs groomsmen, who gets to walk down the aisle second, who gets to carry/throw the flowers, and then the whole religious aspect (im Catholic, hes Jewish)...so no! keep it "illegal" and save my four year unofficial partnership an argument!!!

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Already legal here, when that legislation came through I was quite happy even though I have no interest in getting married myself.

However, if gay marriage were to be legalised in the US, I would be very happy about that too even if it doesn't affect me personally.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
None at all. Perhaps we could say society would have grown a little bit more due to the civil liberties allowing more freedoms to the population. ...naw, we will still be a bunch of whimpering followers willing to give up our freedoms if the media says 'BOO!".

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
How would it affect my life? It would mean both the left- and right-wing conservatives would create some other damn assinine topic to try to screw each other out of liberty with. And I'd have to go through the same process of facepalming constantly.

So no, it wouldn't affect my life; it would neither improve it or reduce it, just move some illiberal rhetoric around.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well for starters, with gay marriage my friend wouldn't have been born. On the other hand, his father also wouldn't have divorced his mother after discovering that marriage doesn't cure homosexuality and his mother wouldn't have committed suicide as a result.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Mine wouldn't be affected at all. However the argument isn't very strong. After all, if someone gets shot and killed on the other side of the country, it doesn't affect my life. Does that mean we should allow for people to get shot?

Oh, and children raised by homosexual parents have an equal chance of being homosexual or heterosexual as everyone else. In fact, there is a slight tenancy for children in homosexual households to be less tolerant of homosexuals (it's really weird and sad).

All in all, I find no problem with gay marriage. So long as you allow me to have my rights, there is no problem with others having their rights.