How Would Warren Spector Design a Zelda Game?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How Would Warren Spector Design a Zelda Game?

If Warren Spector was given the reins of a game in the Legend of Zelda universe, it would be all about telling your story.

Imagine that you are in some kind of parallel universe where the man behind Deus Ex and the upcoming Epic Mickey was able to design a game set in Nintendo's seminal fantasy universe, the Kingdom of Hyrule. Warren Spector was asked how he would design a Legend of Zelda game, his wheels immediately began spinning and smoke blew out of his ears as he tackled the design challenge.

"I would have to find some way to allow Link to be Link and have his personality but also allow the player to express himself, and if I couldn't do that then I couldn't do the project," Spector told UK Nintendo magazine, Ngamer [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266862]. "We'd be sitting here talking about the ways in which choice and consequence play out within a Zelda game and how play style matters in a Zelda game."

The idea of player choice as they progress through a game is very important to Spector [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7823-Epic-Mickey-Warren-Spectors-Epic-Gamble] and that would continue to inform his design with a Zelda game. "Every game I've done, I see it very much as a progression on a specific path. Every game I've made, I've tried to find a different way or a better way for players to power their own experiences. I want players telling their story, not listening to mine," Spector said.

The generally railroaded story-telling of the Zelda franchise might offer some challenges for this open-ended style of game, but Spector was confident that he'd be able to make it work. "Actually, as I'm sitting here talking about it, I'm starting to get some ideas about how to do it," he said.

So is it true? Was Spector offered the next Zelda? Well, no. "Well, they probably wouldn't [give me the reins], let's start with that!"

Well, at least he can focus on that Duck Tales game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102686-Warren-Spector-Wants-DuckTales-Badly] now.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266862]

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
While it won't happen, i have been hoping for a big shake-up of the Zelda franchise. Yes, the games are brilliant in their gameplay, but the structure is getting really predictable. Ever since LTTP, it's been the same for the main games in the series. Gather 3 items, get the master sword, experience some type of tonal shift, then gather a set of different items to build something to beat Gannon.

Majora's mask is the one exception to this pattern and it's one of the reasons why i feel it's superior to the other games in the series.

Even with the game-play mechanic for skyward sword proves to be equally brilliant, i fear the game structure will remain the same.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
I never saw a real problem in the Zelda formula. Nobody gets bored with the Mario Bros. games being little more than, as Yahtzee elegantly puts it, holding down the right button. New ideas for how to implement the dungeon, field, dungeon design are kind of needed though. Twilight Princess was pretty much just a rehash of OoT's dungeons. Make some REALLY new, good dungeons. Not just Earth, water, wind, fire, zombies and whatever other ones from the Avatar theme I missed. A new way to use the classic set up. Like Majoras Mask did.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ne1butme said:
While it won't happen, i have been hoping for a big shake-up of the Zelda franchise. Yes, the games are brilliant in their gameplay, but the structure is getting really predictable. Ever since LTTP, it's been the same for the main games in the series. Gather 3 items, get the master sword, experience some type of tonal shift, then gather a set of different items to build something to beat Gannon.

Majora's mask is the one exception to this pattern and it's one of the reasons why i feel it's superior to the other games in the series.

Even with the game-play mechanic for skyward sword proves to be equally brilliant, i fear the game structure will remain the same.
THANK GOD!!! Theres someone else out there that agrees with me on the fact that Majora's Mask was one of the best, if not the best Zelda game post LttP, and maybe OoT.

Honestly, this would be the kind of thing I want to see in a Zelda game, not so much the choice Spector was talking about, as just something radically different. Ever since the CD-i, people have been scared of changes in Zelda. The Zelda series is that one person who did drugs, got messed up, got cleaned up, and made a name for himself. Lets try and take the step towrds something new...

firetamer13

Jun 8, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Ne1butme said:

THANK GOD!!! Theres someone else out there that agrees with me on the fact that Majora's Mask was one of the best, if not the best Zelda game post LttP, and maybe OoT.

Honestly, this would be the kind of thing I want to see in a Zelda game, not so much the choice Spector was talking about, as just something radically different. Ever since the CD-i, people have been scared of changes in Zelda. The Zelda series is that one person who did drugs, got messed up, got cleaned up, and made a name for himself. Lets try and take the step towrds something new...
Interestingly enough, that seems to be the Majority opinion among hardcore Zelda fans.

OT: I will have to reserve judgment until Epic Mickey comes out. The structure sounds fairly similar to Zelda and it could be a handy point of reference for "What if's"

Did he ever actually propose anything? it just sounded like "Maybe, I have some ideas, but I doubt it" to me.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I say give the guy the reigns and let him give it a go, but...i know that won't happen.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
He would probably trick the princess zelda into coming into his home, then totally shoot her, and admit to his driver that he thinks he accidentally shot her. Then, he would go to trial, and make the case that she ACCIDENTALLY shot HERSELF, but then he'd end up taking it in the triforce from some guy named bubba.

Oh, WARREN Specter. Scratch all that.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm a Zelda fanboy and I can admit the basic structure is old by today's standards. I agree the CD-i games caused fans a fear of what may happen if the game is in someone else's hands, but perhaps we need to take that risk.
Best case scenario; Zelda gets its Metriod Prime
Middle scenario; Zelda gets its Other M
Worst case scenario; Zelda gets something like the CD-i games again.

I say if Epic Mickey is a critical success, Nintendo should at least consider this.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I am Omega said:
Oh, i like this analogy.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Ne1butme said:
I am Omega said:
Oh, i like this analogy.
I agree.

But something new in a Zelda franchise? I'd probably buy more Zelda games if there was something else new. But all trying something did was make me buy Okami.

Unless it's something new along the lines of those Tingle games. Screw that then. I mean, at least we got this from the CD-i games: But those Tingle games. Fuck.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Can we just get a Warren Spector game in every major franchise? Just to see what he'd do with it. I think that would be incredibly interesting and entertaining.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Zelda, Deus Ex style... hmm... I always thought the Zelda games had certain degree of freedom, I don't know if it's just an ilusion, but giving me even more freedom and not becoming a buggy mess like Oblivion would certainly be a big challenge.

As much as I love the idea, it's simply not possible. They're linear for a reason, so that they can craft and polish the game that they want the players to see and not become an entirely different game than the one they wanted to create, as somebody else somewhere said before, give the players too much freedom and they won't know what to do and they will get frustated and will get bored, restrict them a lot and they will get angry.

The Zelda games always had that balanced and the only game that got the Zelda formula right (and even better) was Okami. IF Mr. Warren Spector does it right with real freedom AND not becoming a buggy mess, then he's officially bested Shigeru Miyamoto.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Ne1butme said:

Count me in for loving Majora's Mask. The game was so dark and interesting with great locales... oh the memories.

I would be pleased to hear of a new (positive) step for the next Zelda game that differentiates itself in some way from the general formula. To be able to make offshoots from the main path during some down time and interact with the otherwise stagnant world could add more possibilities for side quests, hidden mysteries of various natures, and being a bigger part in the game's "community" of people.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, if they gave the series to that clown, it'd be the worst game since Majora's Mask.

... No wait, Phantom Hourglass was the worst game since Majora's Mask. So it'd be the worst game since Phantom Hourglass then.

I am Omega said:
What's the difference? In all three, we get a terrible game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That sounds like it could be fun! Be intresting to see it actually implemented, but hell I could get down with that