How would you end one of Nintendo's franchises

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
As a Nintendo fan, I always hear the fact they are making the same game over and over again (which really who isn't any more) and that they should end their franchises and start a new. But I've always wondered how do you end something like Mario or Zelda. So I ask you, escapist, how would you end one of Nintendo's long running franchises?

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
To end Zelda (not saying I'd want that all), I would have the game be about the last Link who has memories and abilities of all the past Links. As for the baddie, it would have to be Ganondorf so we could finally kill him off permanently and maybe wishing for the Triforce never to be used again. While I'm at it, re-unite the split timeline. Also, imply that Link actually gets some from Zelda.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mario: Finally marries Bowser, stops using the princess as a beard.

Zelda: Only a couple of Links are the same ones. They usually get an ending, so just...Don't make any more.

Metroid: At the current rate, Samus settles down, has fifteen babies, and turns her suit into a diaper disposal unit.

Pokémon: PETA intervenes.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
Ending Mario would be a case of him finally giving up the mushroom high, realising that none of this ever existed and going back to his boring, every day (New York (heh)) plumber job. Oh, and possibly facing criminal damage lawsuits from all the jumping on people and throwing turtles around.

In reality? It's harder, Mario is a franchise that has never had a coherent plot flow in that you could actually END it. I guess...Bowser dying would do so, but that's hardly child friendly now, is it? Just letting Bowser win FOR GOOD? Seriously, not an easy franchise to finish. Not at all.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Mario and I would do it quickly.
Bowser and Mario settle it over a nice cup of tea 5 minutes into the next game they make out just to make easy money.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Have every developer on every Zelda game get together for a press conference.
"hello, world. We, the people who wrote the Zelda stories and are responsible for all aspects of their creation, do here and now say that their is no storyline... at all. We made it up as we went. All you people who tired to create storylines are tin hatted wankers."
Then never make another game.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I would end Zelda by introducing a new Link who, after an intro dungeon or two, stumbles across a time portal which, when activate, sucks all the Links from all the games into some new world, built of bits and pieces from all the Zelda games (kind of like Termina, but even more unsettling). And you switch between Links and they have different abilities and items and eventually you destroy the Triforce, ending the cycle of Links being created to battle evil and they can all rest in peace, each with a lovely Zelda by their side.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
After a long and arduous battle, Mario finally defeats Mecha-Bowser in the most epic showdown the Mushroom kingdom has ever seen... but Mario is gravely wounded in the fight and winds up paralyzed from the neck down. So while the day is saved, Mario will never again be able to stomp on the head of a goomba... or play tennis, or ride go-karts or get into fisticuffs with Link.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
believer258 said:
Ending Mario would be easy. Just have him go get a different girlfriend. I mean, surely there's another princess in another castle that can, er, make cake as well as or better than Peach.

Zelda? Hasn't that ended, like, fifteen times now? End it without making another one.

Metroid? Have Samus find a decent fellow, make a couple o' babies, and imprison Ridley then eject that shit into deep space where no one will find him.

End Pokemon by having an in-game PETA-like organization that brainwashes everyone into thinking that capturing animals in tiny balls and making them fight each other is actually a bad thing.

(Yes, I know something similar exists, and I know it's wrong, but I can't think of a better way to put it)

End... uh... what have I missed?

Also, refuse to make anymore freaking prequels.
I like how similar yours are to mine. Not criticising, I actually like it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Mario: Finally marries Bowser, stops using the princess as a beard.

Zelda: Only a couple of Links are the same ones. They usually get an ending, so just...Don't make any more.

Metroid: At the current rate, Samus settles down, has fifteen babies, and turns her suit into a diaper disposal unit.

Pokémon: PETA intervenes.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
The franchises are too popular to be axed without people noticing and making a fuss, unlike Doom, Primal Rage, Turoc, and other titles that don't get a whole lot of attention now a days. Even Donkey Kong makes guest appearances in Mario's games despite not having a whole lot of widely popular titles recently.

IF Mario/Sonic/Zelda/Metroid were to be ended, it should be done with some epic story arc where the hero FINALLY gets to the source of power behind the bad guy and destroy it, or at the very least contain it behind an absurd number of failsafes to make sure nobody can tap into it again. Of course this would open up a 2.0 where you now play some upstart somebody who wants to get that power and have to break through all the protections and face off against the hero you used to play as. At least you could get some new characters on the scene. Right?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Go for the shock and make Bowser win. Or on the other hand, make a cut scene that shows every mario adventure up until then was a drug trip and mario gets arrested.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I would end zelda with zelda, link and gannon teaming up to take out the goddesses, like half the game would be the standard zelda game but then the other half would be them realizing they are playing the same roles over and over and being manipulated by the goddess so they set out together to deal with her to stop the cycle.