How would you hold up in a fight?

The Moehlinator

Mar 25, 2011
Eh, I think I would do fairly well. I took a few years of Karate and a year of TKD and I am surprisingly agile/quick for my large size. I have been in a few fights....most of them come down to who lands the first real hit. A good hit to the face tends to affect a person's ability to come back at you. In general, I try not to fight....my face is way too pretty to mess up ;)

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I think I could hold up pretty well against someone my size. Mind you most people aren't my size, and I'm not a violent person by nature anyway. I prefer walking away from conflict with a smug sense of satisfaction rather than letting it get to me.

OneStepAhead

May 2, 2011
Eh, i gotta say, holding my own wouldn't be the problem, holding myself back would be. :/
I've trained several different martial arts, and the fighting isn't the problem, it's just that if i lose my temper, i'll kill the guy. I tend to be hot-headed, and that would be my biggest concern. >.<

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...as a person trained through Tier 2 US Army Combatives, a year of Krav Maga, a few months of fencing, about a month of kenjutsu and a whole hell of a lot of firearms training/practice/experience... yeah.
I try to avoid physical confrontation, though. As I see it physical combat always has the possibility of ending lethally for someone, and at its core, killing is its primary objective. Training and sport fighting are a different ballgame, of course, but in self-defense or the removal of a threat... the first person with the will, knowledge and opportunity to end the other's life tends to win, regardless of size (though size often creates opportunities all on its own). So basically, as I see it... anyone entering into a physical confrontation for reasons other than training or sport without the will to take their opponent's life is a posturing fool who should count themselves lucky if they survive the encounter.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Against someone using "martial arts" I would hold up pretty much invincibly . Being in an actual fight, I would hold up well enough I think. I am mostly size and power. I can end fights with as little as one attack. I am fairly defensive in the body as well. My weakness comes out in a long prolonged fight and excessive head shots. (also my legs might be fast, but my knees are fairly weak)

But, none of that really matters if you face palm your opponent and charge their head into a concrete wall.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
I'm actually not very fond of physical violence(or any other form of violence).I prefer talking it through and I don't quite understand why some people feel the need for it.I would probably get into a fight if I absolutely had to,self defense or protecting someone I care about.I would probably not fare to well since I never was in actual fight, so I hope that I never will.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Q #1: Someone my size? So... an average 13 year old boy? I'm a small man. I'll guess I'd win.

In all seriousness, I'd do alright even if they were twice my size. I'm stronger and more durable than I look. A moderate understanding of anatomy also helps.

Q #2: Making fun of my height is often enough to get me to fight regardless of how big or tough you think you are. That or just respectfully ask.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
I'm ex-infantry and studied Shao Lin. Some of it really isn't practical in an actual fight but the core of it's bloody brutal...

Plus, I grew up with a big brother who is basically a silver back who can program computers and has a psychotic disorder, so I grew up fighting a guy much bigger than me.

I've been in a few fights and aparently I'm not to be fucked with (so I'm told). My brain's grey matter is grey cos it's made of concrete, and I'm not above jabbing a bloke in the throat.

I'd really rather have a nice beer tho.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
I do fencing man. I'd kick all yo asses and I wouldn't even need a sword.

Just make sure you don't move around too much.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Not sure, one guy? Odds are I can take him, I'm 6ft and solidly built, I've been in a few fights in my life and my mate who was in the infantry showed me some stuff. But realistically it's may not be one guy, it could be several of his mates, or even just him with a bottle or knife. I'd rather not put myself out there.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Trolldor said:
I do fencing man. I'd kick all yo asses and I wouldn't even need a sword.

Just make sure you don't move around too much.
Don't take yourself too lightly... western fencing was one of Bruce Lee's favorite disciplines.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Ian Thompson said:
I actually think I'd do pretty well in a fight. I've taken Krav Maga for two years, that and I'm a naturally inventive fighter...Yeah. I think I'd do well.
Fortunately, it takes a hell of a lot to piss me off. I've been in one fight in the last two years, and I didn't take a hit. He tried to punch me? Bad move. One step to the side, pull on arm and at the same time deliver right elbow to face, yank down to the ground.
I've watched some videos of Krav Maga, and it looks brutal, so I'd imagine you would hold up pretty well in a fight.

Personally, it depends. If it was just some dude hassling me in the street, I'd leave it and walk off. I hate violence, it's pointless.

However, if someone threatened my child I'd lose it and kill them. No fancy spin kicks or anything, I'd just crack their nuts with my feet over and over until they bled to death from the hole where their penis used to be.

But then again, I'm willing to bet 90% of parents out there would do the same, and when a child is threatened you stand little chance against a raging parent.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
As a solidly built 6ft 3" tall nineteen year old with a blue belt in judo, I think I'd hold up reasonably well.

About 115 Ninjas

Aug 13, 2009
6'4, various sports since I was six, four years of wrestling, and a I was raised in a city where kids beat each other up for recreation.

I'd like to think I hold up just fine, but then, people tend not to fight these days. Most pull a gun or call 50 of their friends and call it a day.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I have some things going for me.

First off, I'm big. Not like an unwieldy big, but like I can expect my arms and legs to perform. I'm not a slab of muscle, but I can endure pain and be expected to deliver as well. But I look like the dark alley blokes should leave me alone, and they do.

Second, in most cases I am aware. Have to be. I listen to music and walk roads without a sidewalk at midnight. I have to be aware, and so my hearing is such that I can hear the car coming even with music on. Definitely have a good pair of ears, reasonable eyes too.

Third, just my attitude is to take crap from nobody. Even if you say it perpetuates a stereotype, there can always be a grain of truth to the line. I'm an Irish-Italian. If you gave me a pipe and a green hat, I'd be Notre Dame's mascot!

Fourth...did I mention that I keep plenty of weapons, wear steel toes, and can aim a rifle? No? Well, guess what? Yeah. The steel toes are fun too. You get a man in the crotch as is and it HURTS. Do it with steel and he might lose those two boys for good.

Fifthly, and very importantly, I have a good grasp of Jeet Kune Do. Well enough that I did indeed thrust a 300 pound man into the corner of a room with substantial force. Oh yeah. That totally happened. Good times... I think I'm covered.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
I'd be beaten in less than 30 seconds in a "fair fight", so I fight dirty. My "strategy" (if you are being generous enough to call it that) usually boils down to
Aby_Z said:
Step 1: Kick in groin
Step 2: Run away
Funny story actually. A guy (easily a foot taller than me) at my elementary school (when I was 10. What? I haven't gotten into any fights since.) had tried to fight me multiple times and each and every time that he went for a swing at me, he either a) got punched in the groin by me, or b) got kicked in the groin by me. It was only after 3 hits to the package did he learn to wear an athetic cup to school and to leave me alone. I empathised on the first hit because I am a guy, but that empathy dried up when he tried to fight me the second time.

En Row

Apr 18, 2009
I'll just apply everything I learned from Bear Grylls' Worst Case Scenario.

....and would ya look at that
stabbing people with my thumbs works~