How Would You React If The Internet Went Down?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm talking about like in that episode of South Park where the internet goes down across the entire nation, only blowing it up to encompass the entire world. What would your reaction be if you woke up one day to find out that the internet - for no known reason - had simply stopped working? Phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, game consoles...NOTHING could get online. And it wasn't just some unknown outage for a few days. I'm talking months without the most holy interwebz! What would your reaction be? And how do you think the world in general would react?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
At first I would be heavily disappointed. It probably wouldn't take long, though, before I start laughing at all the people having mental breakdowns because they can't access Twitter or Facebook and also didn't get to play Halo or Battlefield the night before. Of course, once research assignments start showing up, I'm bound to have a mental breakdown myself.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I'd have to go into books, drawing, painting and music like never before. Maybe I'd get more done.

That, or start a war. I think most people would probably take to the streets, crying, fighting and calling their lawyers.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Might as well kill me now, because I'd be completely useless to the world.

All right, that's a bit of an overreaction, but without the internet even the things I should be doing to better my personal life that I constantly procrastinate would be leagues more complicated. On the other hand, without the internet I might become a productive working member of society and enjoy it.

EDIT: But, quite frankly, I don't want to live in a world where I can't see Kyary's adorable face waving at me every day.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well I'd lose my job, for one thing! But let's make this clear - the internet goes down, but not electricity? I can still play videogames? It's all good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well I'd lose my job, for one thing! But let's make this clear - the internet goes down, but not electricity? I can still play videogames? It's all good.
Yep, electricity and all other "modern conveniences" still work, but the internet kerploded and no one in the entire world knows why or how to get it to come back.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yep, electricity and all other "modern conveniences" still work, but the internet kerploded and no one in the entire world knows why or how to get it to come back.
Other than losing my job as a social network admin I'd be OK. I don't have Facebook and I love writing letters. I guess it would mean a return to actual physical encylopedias as opposed to wiki'ng everything.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I'd be quite lost and bored honestly since I get a lot of my entertainment, news about the world and contact with friends over the Internet. I could live with the alternates but it would be a pain, I'd miss this place for one. I suppose job hunting would be far more inconvenient, since I'd have to look in newspapers and such rather than just checking the online sites every few days, so that would be a bummer.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Totally kill myself. Throw myself a bridge.

Srs face, I'd be annoyed and confused. Then I'd play on my DS or on Steam or watch TV or do some drawings. I'd have to watch the news and see the sad sacks that actually kill themselves over it. Then I'd feel sorry for people whose jobs depend on it D:

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Does Steam work if the internet goes down forever? Doesn't matter; out of sheer paranoia I just updated it, then set to offline mode. Now, where were we? Ah yes, it's a good thing I mostly buy single player games, or at the very least, games with a solid single player campaign. It would allow me to focus on all the old games that I stopped playing out of boredom or difficulty. I might end up finishing Demon's Souls because of this.

Ha ha ha! That was a lie. I think the time until my mental breakdown would be around 3 days, at which point I would try to make a working modem out of a coconut, like in Gilligan's Island. This would be for sheer irony of course, which would normally have been fulfilled from Secret Agent Bob's channel on YouTube.

Time until full mental breakdown: 12 days.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
EeveeElectro said:

Srs face, I'd be annoyed and confused. Then I'd play on my DS or on Steam or watch TV or do some drawings. I'd have to watch the news and see the sad sacks that actually kill themselves over it. Then I'd feel sorry for people whose jobs depend on it D:
First: your avatar is adorable! :3

But yeah, I suppose you could play Steam offline, but you certainly wouldn't be able to download any new games with it or play with any of your friends using it. :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Considering that I almost went insane when I had no internet for a month (I messed up when my parent wanted to switch internet provider), I don't want to think about having to deal with that for more than one month! Before you asked, I lived in the middle of nowhere, I got no lived TV in my room and my friends lived far away so there isn't alot of ways for me to pass the time other than gaming).

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
EeveeElectro said:

First: your avatar is adorable! :3

But yeah, I suppose you could play Steam offline, but you certainly wouldn't be able to download any new games with it or play with any of your friends using it. :p
Thanks! ^_^

Well I run Steam off my shitty laptop so all I literally play is Plants Vs Zombies, Cave Story, FFVII, Scribblenauts and a few other little ones that don't take much to power. None of them online as far as I know. I never played online anyway, not even on my 360.
I've got enough to keep me amused outside of the Internet. I could probably play with some tinfoil for about half an hour ;;

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, my net went funny the other day, all I could access way Facebook for a few hours.

That was not fun.

I always remember that thing Yahtzee said once, about how people blathering on about how wonderful they'd find the post-apocalypse would form suicide pacts if the net went down for a week...and it's true for so many of us.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Start reading more probably. Play videogames that don't need online, probably go look for a tabletop group and some books I could use, probably for Pathfinder since that's the only game I've played.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh no. I can't write and roleplay online with my friends. I guess I've got absolutely no use for this highly-marketable skill that I've got or anything.

Rayne360

Dec 28, 2013
I would probably do something stupid like trying to go online and rant that the internet isn't working just to find that the internet isn't working. Durr.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I'd be ever so sad. I think I would mourn most fiercely.

I mean I still have books and TV but it's still sad.

Also, takes away lots of convenience. Like I won't be able to renew my books online anymore though by phone is still good. I can forget paying for things online. That's totally gonna suck.

And my easy access to audiobooks and some ebooks. Gone.

Quite unfortunate. Actually, without internet, we probably won't have ebooks anymore.