How's it going?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Doing alright. Banging my head on a wall extremely hard with car hunting. It's been nearly a year since I started looking and I'm only now feeling like I'm closing in on the end. Really, REALLY ready to be done with it.
Otherwise, I'm in a new position at work that makes me feel a lot better, and I've got everything I need right now to keep me content. So things are looking up. Just wish I could finally figure out this damn car thing. I envy people that can just find something they like "enough" and go with it and be perfectly happy

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Doing alright. Banging my head on a wall extremely hard with car hunting. It's been nearly a year since I started looking and I'm only now feeling like I'm closing in on the end. Really, REALLY ready to be done with it.
Otherwise, I'm in a new position at work that makes me feel a lot better, and I've got everything I need right now to keep me content. So things are looking up. Just wish I could finally figure out this damn car thing. I envy people that can just find something they like "enough" and go with it and be perfectly happy
Maybe it'd help to figure out what you want the car for. Do you want cheap or luxury? Do you want fuel efficent or something grunty. Do you want to fix it yourself or get a mechanic to fix it? Do you want it tough? Are you driving in the city or off road? Questions like that can influence what you choose.

I just drive second hand bombs personally because I'm a tightass lol. I'd never pay for a brand new car for sure the price drops a lot as soon as they drive it off.

Who knows, maybe somebody in the forum knows cars well enough to give advice?

Last edited:

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
Do you want square wheels or triangle ones? :D I agree with assessing what type of car you want by deciding what you want it for.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Do you want square wheels or triangle ones? :D I agree with assessing what type of car you want by deciding what you want it for.
I only ride on one-dimensional wheels, personally. The others just get in the way.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Does this place do group messaging or something? If so, I can CC you guys in a message on the site here and maybe we could all respond to it together. I wouldn't mind some extra people to assist me in my search.
Edit: Or if you prefer, I don't mind being PM'd individually, and I can catch ya up to speed on where I'm at. I'd rather avoid flooding this thread with it

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Does this place do group messaging or something? If so, I can CC you guys in a message on the site here and maybe we could all respond to it together. I wouldn't mind some extra people to assist me in my search.
Edit: Or if you prefer, I don't mind being PM'd individually, and I can catch ya up to speed on where I'm at. I'd rather avoid flooding this thread with it
I went ahead and just made a thread (unless you want to do it privately, in which case just send me a PM).

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I went ahead and just made a thread (unless you want to do it privately, in which case just send me a PM).
I don't mind the thread idea. Though I worry it might be a huge amount of posts to and from me, while the thread is poised as an open thing for everyone else. Definitely a good idea, but I don't wanna risk it being too much of a take-over situation with my car hunting difficulties starting off. Once I get home from work tomorrow I'll work on a response and condense 11 months of searching and information down to something easily managed (Unless ya decide from this post that PM might suit things a bit more in my case, which I'm also ok with)

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Not especially great, I'm afraid, it's lining up to be a cold and difficult holiday season, emotionally and financially. But who knows we could see a turnaround at some point in the future.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I've been hiking several miles a day through mud and slopes at the job. And now my body hurts.

Reactions: gorfias

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm buried with work. I keep reminding myself that I'm lucky I have a job on full pay which is better than millions under covid, but it's still one hell of a lot of work and responsibility and I'm starting to feel very run down.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I too am getting buried under work and responsibility. Its almost funny that I'm losing a week and a half of vacation time at year's end... and getting reprimanded for not scheduling the time off earlier in the year. Even though most of us considered it a little a little bit gauche to take time off when all of our support staff has been laid off as well as everyone who fills in for us if we are off. Leaving the burden on those few of us that are left. Besides, if we took time off... where would we go anyway. What can we do anyway. I am lucky I'm still working, and I have managed to keep healthy. 2 of the dozen or so of us that were left here got COVID. Both wound up in the ICU. One was hospitalized for 22 days, unable to return to work for 2 months, and returned to work still on supplemental oxygen. I'll be happier with 2020 in the rear view mirror, and trying not to think too much about how 2021 will be much the same until nearly May or June when it looks like the earliest I might get the 2nd dose of the vaccine.

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I too am getting buried under work and responsibility. Its almost funny that I'm losing a week and a half of vacation time at year's end... and getting reprimanded for not scheduling the time off earlier in the year. Even though most of us considered it a little a little bit gauche to take time off when all of our support staff has been laid off as well as everyone who fills in for us if we are off. Leaving the burden on those few of us that are left. Besides, if we took time off... where would we go anyway. What can we do anyway. I am lucky I'm still working, and I have managed to keep healthy. 2 of the dozen or so of us that were left here got COVID. Both wound up in the ICU. One was hospitalized for 22 days, unable to return to work for 2 months, and returned to work still on supplemental oxygen. I'll be happier with 2020 in the rear view mirror, and trying not to think too much about how 2021 will be much the same until nearly May or June when it looks like the earliest I might get the 2nd dose of the vaccine.
Man that stinks...

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I know I drink too much, which is bad. I gained the COVID 19 pounds... took off 10 so far.
Xmas tomorrow. I'll be doing some cooking today (meatballs, sausage, Ziti casserole) which can sit till Xmas day.
Financially, I'm doing better than I deserve. I have a job in the midst of all this. Just got an oil change on my car not due to miles but age. I'm advised to change out my oil regardless of miles every 6 months.
I have a number of 1st world problems. Over all, I acknowledge I am lucky. I'd write, I'm OK.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I know I drink too much, which is bad. I gained the COVID 19 pounds... took off 10 so far.
Xmas tomorrow. I'll be doing some cooking today (meatballs, sausage, Ziti casserole) which can sit till Xmas day.
Financially, I'm doing better than I deserve. I have a job in the midst of all this. Just got an oil change on my car not due to miles but age. I'm advised to change out my oil regardless of miles every 6 months.
I have a number of 1st world problems. Over all, I acknowledge I am lucky. I'd write, I'm OK.
I did exactly the same thing. Service and oil change every 3 months or 3 thousand miles as a general rule. I kept looking at the miles and thinking, "well still over 1000 miles until I have to do it." Over and over. Then I thought back to the last time I changed the oil... and realized I should have done the service and oil change in April. It was already nearly December.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I did exactly the same thing. Service and oil change every 3 months or 3 thousand miles as a general rule. I kept looking at the miles and thinking, "well still over 1000 miles until I have to do it." Over and over. Then I thought back to the last time I changed the oil... and realized I should have done the service and oil change in April. It was already nearly December.
Ummm... *shame faced*... exactly! I had about 1K to go. But... April-December.
Next 1st World Problems:
Shopping priorities! Do I save up for the PS5/Xbox Series X/New Computer build (I build my own) or upgrade my home theater? So far, I R&R a perfectly good, newer Polk center speaker with one that cost 3 times as much on sale? Got the speaker.
Did I need my 3rd toilet fixed before Xmas? I don't know if I'll be charged emergency fees, but it gone done yesterday as I wrapped gifts.
And missus went out w/ work friends yesterday and had what is supposedly the best pizza in region. Tried a slice. Nope. Decent, but I've had better.
So... all is better than I have a right to so far. I do worry about small businesses. I hope everyone thanks them for serving on our front lines (grocery stores, etc.) during this lock down. They are very brave and vital.