hue

Apr 28, 2008
Almost all sense of ownership is defined in the EULA's of the games you buy.

But since EULA's are void in many European Nations since they're not revealed in full on purchase, and would never hold up in court on their own in the US, most terms of ownership fall into the old fashioned "you buy it, you own it, end of story" way.

I know of the EULA stuff because I read up on stuff like this because I'm weird like that. And I'm just going by what everyone else goes by in every other setting where items are sold for the ownership thing.

Of course, Publishers will still say that you don't own the product you bought. But just because they say something and/or put it in writing, doesn't make it law. Going by, well, EVERYTHING sold, once they sell it, it is no longer theirs.

Probably why they ***** so much about used sales. They still think they own the games they have already sold. But they don't, because they sold them. Just like every other product ever made.

Apr 28, 2008
Frehls said:
Irridium said:
This makes sense and goes along with what I've read as well. Since you are being sold a product, you own the product and the right to use it.
I'm still curious as to how Steam sales work. It isn't like retail ownership for obvious reasons, but I'm still hesitant to call it a lifetime rental. With Steam, it seems you are buying a product governed by the service. Contrast this with OnLive, where you will be buying a service governed by a service (those purchases actually are rentals).
So how do Steam purchases work?
Well, then your bound by the Steam Subscriber Agreement, which is at the bottom of the Steam page. Since you can see it before purchase, it's more binding.

Pretty sure all games go by that. Pretty sure, been a while since I bought something from Steam. Some publishers probably have their own terms, but if they're not revealed before/at purchase, they're pretty much useless.

Apr 28, 2008
Frehls said:
Irridium said:
"Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software."
That settles that. I guess I've got a hundred lifetime rentals sitting around on my computer, eh?
Thanks for the replies, Irridium.
Pretty much. It's why I always try to buy retail. Though if you want a digital distributor that lets you actually keep your games, I suggest GoG.com [http://www.gog.com/]. When you buy from them, you own your purchase. Hell, they even say as much! Though they only really deal in older games, but still.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
Not solely old games, for some reason they have Witcher 2, but that's the only new one.
Also, if you own the game that you bought, does that give you the right to make copies of the product and give those copies away?
Considering the EULA here, if you can't under the terms of the EULA, can you just not play the game, then make copies of it?

(yes, I'm talking about piracy)

Chainsaw_Chuck

Dec 7, 2010
maxmanrules said:
Not solely old games, for some reason they have Witcher 2, but that's the only new one...
Good Old Games has The Witcher 2 because it's run by some of the guys from CD Projekt. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Frehls said:
Irridium said:
"Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software."
That settles that. I guess I've got a hundred lifetime rentals sitting around on my computer, eh?
Thanks for the replies, Irridium.
You had a hundred lifetime rentals if you had bought physical discs too.

All you "own" when you buy a game is the plastic jewel case, the plastic disc and the manual.

You have no rights to the software contained within. So long as you don't do something stupid or illegal, you can use that software as much as you please, often as you please. However should you do something stupid or illegal, the publisher/developer, the people who actually own the software which you are using, have every right ethically and legally to tell you you cannot use the software and remove your ability to use that software.

Its just now they have more effective ways to do that.

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
maxmanrules said:
Also, if you own the game that you bought, does that give you the right to make copies of the product and give those copies away?
No. This is not an ownership issue, but a copyright issue. The original creator holds the copyright, and gets to decide who can or can not make copies of the work (be it a game, a book, a photgraph, or anything else). They can sell the item to you (granting you ownership) while still retaining the copyright.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Frehls said:
Legally, how does game ownership work and how do you know?
I tend to hold my opinions of this matter in very basic terms. The simpler an argument is, the less you find holes in it. Needless complexity is, at times, a problem in our society. So, my thinking works along the concept of basic trade.

I give you money, you give me product. The ancient act of trade shows that I now own the thingy and you own the money I paid for it. Given that there is nothing wrong with the money I paid, if anything is wrong with what I now own in ANY fashion, the fault lies with he who sold it to me. This includes disputes on who owns what, because I did not 'rent' my money away. I forked it over. The only one who could possibly be in error is the seller, who should then suffer if they ARE in error. There is no other way to read this transation.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Software licensing isn't that hard of a concept. When you "buy" a game, all you're really doing is purchasing permission to run that game. The only parts you own are the manual, the disc, and the box they came in. Digtal distribution works the same way only you don't get those neat 3 perks mentioned earlier.