Huge List Documents Elder Scrolls Characters Between Games

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
"Perhaps the most interesting finding is that Sheogorath, the Prince of Madness encountered in Skyrim, is actually the player character from the Shivering Isles, marking the only time a player character has ever returned."

Well, that's still up for debate, isn't it? Would be a little hard to explain if you're player character wasn't human. But maybe they turned into the mad god anyway, losing all of their original personality? I think Sheogorath simply emerged and took over his plane again and you were just a substitute to enjoy yourself for a limited time.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Fifty-One said:
It would've been nice if he had driven the cliff racers off a new decades earlier. It would've saved me a load of grief in Morrowind.
But without all those racer plumes how would you go about levitating everywhere like a super floating pimp?
I seem to recall enough speed and jump and you can leap 3/4 of the way across the continent. Just make sure you have a slowfall for the landing.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
RatGouf said:
Remember now, M'aiq The Liar has never been in an Elder Scrolls beyond Morrowind.

Fine.... Sorry I lied....
....not sure if trolling, or in fact referencing M'aiq's personality...

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
hazydawn said:
I think Sheogorath simply emerged and took over his plane again and you were just a substitute to enjoy yourself for a limited time.
Negative. The original Sheogorath reverted to his actual Jyggalag persona during that (turned out to be final) Greymarch, and the player character was, due to the actions he undertook to save the Shivering Isles, invested with the power of Sheogorath. This is all pretty well spelled out in dialogue in the expansion's gameplay. Now, What'shisname, Sheogorath's major domo, does admit that since the PC isn't a Daedric Lord (nevermind not even a Daedra), he has no idea what this means or what will happen.

So, is the Sheogorath seen in Skyrim actually the PC from Oblivion? Probably. I'd really like to have seen a Jyggalag shrine somewhere, though.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
TimeLord75 said:
Negative. The original Sheogorath reverted to his actual Jyggalag persona during that (turned out to be final) Greymarch, and the player character was, due to the actions he undertook to save the Shivering Isles, invested with the power of Sheogorath. This is all pretty well spelled out in dialogue in the expansion's gameplay. Now, What'shisname, Sheogorath's major domo, does admit that since the PC isn't a Daedric Lord (nevermind not even a Daedra), he has no idea what this means or what will happen.

So, is the Sheogorath seen in Skyrim actually the PC from Oblivion? Probably. I'd really like to have seen a Jyggalag shrine somewhere, though.
Well, maybe the deadric princes banished Jyggalag once again and turned him into Sheogorath? I mean if they did it once, what's to stop them from doing it twice :0
What's to say that Sheogorath and Jyggalag can't exist at the same time somehow? Would make more sense to me than a mortal turning into a deadric lord (although not impossible).
Maybe the Sheogorath we meet in Skyrim is the actual one returning to the Shivering Isles for the first time since the actions of Oblivion.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
hazydawn said:
TimeLord75 said:

Well, maybe the deadric princes banished Jyggalag once again and turned him into Sheogorath? I mean if they did it once, what's to stop them from doing it twice :0
What's to say that Sheogorath and Jyggalag can't exist at the same time somehow? Would make more sense to me than a mortal turning into a deadric lord (although not impossible).
Maybe the Sheogorath we meet in Skyrim is the actual one returning to the Shivering Isles for the first time since the actions of Oblivion.
it's called mantling, talos did it with lorkhan, so it's not without precedent.

essentially, you act so much like the other person for so long that reality forgets that you are two different people, and you take over the role. "walk like them until they walk like you" is how it's described in-universe

in the PC's case, by becoming sheogorath (as in "the physical incarnation of the soul of the shivering isles"), and there not being another sheogorath to compare against (because he's jyggalag now), reality pretty much shrugged and said "fine, guess you're the madgod by default now" and made it so

Halyah said:
it's probably one of the worst fates you can have in the entire setting if you're the type who likes their individuality.
death is just as bad, if youre not lucky enough to go to one of the aedric or daedric planes, you get your soul and consciousness shoved into a big cosmic blender called the dreamsleeve. in that respect, the soul carin may even be a preferable fate, it certainly explains why mortals throw their lots in with the daedra so often, an eternity as a sapient shadow in evergloam or a werewolf in the hunting grounds is better than being turned into nonsapient cosmic backgrond radiation

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
TimeLord75 said:

hazydawn said:
I can actually solve this argument.

Sheogorath and Jyggylag are not two separate entities, they are the same one with multiple personality disorder to an extreme extent. They literally are the SAME person. When the champion of cyordiil took on the role of the mad god, he also took on the role of his other side, Jyggylag. Jyggy is not present in Skyrim because he was reabsorbed into sheogorath when the CoC became him.

This is hinted at in several books in the Shivering Isles which describe a cycle of greymarches, and avatar of adren-Sul, the person they worship as thier god in the SI, coming to save the realm.

The Champion of Cyrodiil was not the first to stop the greymarch, or become Sheo, nor is he the first to beat Jyggy, it is an endless cycle, even in Skyrim, Sheogorath's servant, who sets you on his quest in the first place, says the flame of arden-sul has gone out, which Sheo in SI says is always the first sign of the greymarch, hinting it is beginning again.

Stasis and Change, Anu and Padomay, Anueil and Sithis, Akatosh and Lorkhan, Jyggylyg and Sheogorath are all each themselves and their opposite, constantly usurping each other, which is to say themselves, in a endless cycle.

You cannot separate them any more then you can remove one side of a coin, even if you cut a coin in half, there is just a new other side.

Nucas

Aug 3, 2014
skyrim is the first game in the series to be set "hundreds of years" apart from the rest. all of the others take place during the reign of patrick stewart-- uriel septim vii.

SajuukKhar said:
TimeLord75 said:

hazydawn said:
I can actually solve this argument.

Sheogorath and Jyggylag are not two separate entities, they are the same one with multiple personality disorder to an extreme extent. They literally are the SAME person. When the champion of cyordiil took on the role of the mad god, he also took on the role of his other side, Jyggylag. Jyggy is not present in Skyrim because he was reabsorbed into sheogorath when the CoC became him.

This is hinted at in several books in the Shivering Isles which describe a cycle of greymarches, and avatar of adren-Sul, the person they worship as thier god in the SI, coming to save the realm.

The Champion of Cyrodiil was not the first to stop the greymarch, or become Sheo, nor is he the first to beat Jyggy, it is an endless cycle, even in Skyrim, Sheogorath's servant, who sets you on his quest in the first place, says the flame of arden-sul has gone out, which Sheo in SI says is always the first sign of the greymarch, hinting it is beginning again.

Stasis and Change, Anu and Padomay, Anueil and Sithis, Akatosh and Lorkhan, Jyggylyg and Sheogorath are all each themselves and their opposite, constantly usurping each other, which is to say themselves, in a endless cycle.

You cannot separate them any more then you can remove one side of a coin, even if you cut a coin in half, there is just a new other side.
no. the champion of cyrodiil breaks the cycle. jyggalag was cursed to madness, and permitted to retake his true form (prince of order) once an era. he couldn't resist his own nature, to bring order to chaos, and when he inevitably won, he'd descend back into madness.
stopping the greymarch in shivering isles puts an end to the process. jyggalag is free to float the voids of oblivion and do what he likes, perhaps retaking the role of prince of order. the player character assumes the portfolio of madgod. jyggalag basically says all of this in his endgame monologue.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
IanDavis said:
Dunno if you're aware of it yet, but a few people have mentioned: the OP links to a 404 page.

Praise be to St Jiub!

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
all those posts arguing about Sheogorath gave me a headache (it doesnt help I only played skyrim and only understand about half of all that stuff)

someone fix the broken link though

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Sorry about that, looks like the original guy had to remove the album due to license issues. I've corrected the links.