Hugh Jackman Will be Wolverine Till The Day he Dies

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I think Mr. Jackman got something different out of Birdman than I did...

Maybe he looked at Michael Keaton's career and thought "fuck I better keep playing Wolverine or people will forget me"

Stomponato

Jul 7, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
People say they try to maintain the status quo. But I believe the natural cycle means you're either advancing and getting closer to something or you're receding," he explained.
He's right, of course.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Pattrick Stewart is Proffessor X.
Isn't he the one whose superpower is the ability to use a spellcheck?

Naqel said:
I'm of the camp that believes X-men are at their best when they're separate from the rest of the Marvel universe.

Fantasy-superpower-racism only works when the world isn't crawling with superpowered people.
I agree X-Men are better separate, but for the exact opposite reason. The entire point of the X-Men universe is that the world is crawling with superpowered people; that there are millions of mutants all over the world, living in your town and on your street, but that for the most part you will never know unless they actually tell you. But with the rest of the Marvell universe, and even more so the MCU, superpowers are extremely rare and the few examples are famous precisely because of that. There's nothing special about Captain America if everyone has a friend who can do everything he can and more.

Just think of how many superheroes there actually are in the MCU. Black Widow and Hawkeye are just regular humans with a bit of training, Iron Man is clever but otherwise a regular human, Captain America is supposedly the peak a regular human can reach. Only Hulk and Thor have actual superpowers, and one of them is a magic alien from another dimension. There are evidently going to be more showing up soon, but after nine films that's so far a grand total of one human with actual superpowers (plus a few villains of course, who have mostly been killed off). Compare that to X-Men, which features a school full of superpowered kids playing around with magic powers for fun just as the opening.

Far from fantasy-superpower-homophobia (it may have been racism in the comics, but the films aren't exactly subtle about their point) only working when the world isn't crammed full of superpowers, it can only work when it is. The allegory only works when there are millions of ordinary looking people who happen to be different from the norm in some way. Throwing the Hulk into the X-Men universe wouldn't cause it problems at all, but throwing millions of mutants into the MCU would really screw up a world which has been built around the existence of one small group of superheroes being a really a big deal.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
He's 46 and in great shape. I'd say he's got the job for awhile.

Somewhat unhealthy to want to play a role until you die, but I think the idea is the pursuit of trying. Like saying "I want to be on top of my game until the day I die".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, he's Australian, sure, but as far as I know, he's not gay or bi.

All the interesting characters are played by people from commonwealth nations, preferably who are gay or bi as well. Mckeelen, Page, Paquin...everyone else plays someone that tends towards whiny and boring. Stewart is British, but AFAIK, straight, so he's sorta interesting as the professor.

Given that Page wasn't out when they cast her, I'm guessing this is a bizarre coincidence, rather than some weird casting choices.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thats terrible news. He is great at Wolverine, don't get me wrong. Just that as long as he is playing that character he will always be front and center of every movie. They need to give some of the other characters more screen time. Or they could release an Uncanny Xmen (or one of the others) movie with new characters.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Jackman does perform well in the role, and most people know Jackman's Wolverine is the portrayal they're most familiar with, but he's playing Fox's Wolverine not Marvel's.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Oh dear, he best not age, otherwise he'll let down all the people who saw that one bit in Days of Future Past... you all know it.

As great as it is that he's dedicated to the character, it only encourages FOX to keep having Wolverine be the main character. It worked for Days of Future Past, but by God did it make the plot contrived which isn't a healthy thing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Funny. Just yesterday I was thinking about who could play him after Jackman and I couldn't figure it out. Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine as far as I'm concerned. He's great. He should have a statue.

Virtual Boy

Feb 21, 2015
I like person who can just enjoy a role and not get all worried about being typecast and pull out after e few movies. Hope they do an Old Man Logan movie in a few years.

zarathoas

Mar 25, 2010
My choice for Old Man Logan would be Michael Rooker. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Rooker)
Don't get me wrong I think Hugh Jackman has done a great job but "Old Man Logan"needs a new face.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
What they need to do is to just shoot all possible Wolverine scenes now... and then film the eventual movies around those, later on.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
faefrost said:
I think Jackmans got awhile before he ages out of the role. Wolverine is supposed to be this hardened weathered man of indeterminate age. He's supposed to feel a bit older than everyone around him. I worry more for Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan.
He certainly is a fine wine of a Wolverine. I look back now to the first X-Men movie and it's like he's a little kid, while in Days of Future Past he has this terrific old, punch-drunk appearance.
Doesn't hurt that the man is more ripped than ever in DoFP.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Doesn't hurt that the man is more ripped than ever in DoFP.
You can bet your ass though he must've done like a half hour of weightlifting before shooting that one nudey scene. The dude was veiny as fuck.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Objectable said:
deathbydeath said:
Actually there was a great chapter of Worm [https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/interlude-13/] that dealt with that sort of prejudice, and the Wormverse has way more parahumans (statistically speaking, plus all these powers are actually powers and not just people who are smart/roided up) than the Marvel or DC settings.
Wait... someone else on here has read Worm? HOLY SHIT!
Soup.
Though it is a rarity to meet others who have, in fairness it's not a topic which really comes up much I suppose...

OT:
Standard actor rhetoric or no he does make an iconic Wolverine. I would wager he has several more years in him, as others have stated he really does have the right aesthetic though I wonder how much of that is hindsight bias, how well another actor would have filled the same role.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
If I remember correctly didn't wolverine official die off in the comics? It wouldn't be to big of a stretch to do it in the movies.

Worst case they could always use a fake Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine using a computer generated character.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
I just read Old Man Logan a couple days ago on a long car trip. I liked it a lot, but it really would need to be longer than the comic book. They'd need to go into more detail of how everything got to that point. I would love if it was the final farewell to both Wolverine and Hugh Jackmans portrayal of him.

Onto the topic: It's admirable for Jackman to want to play him for as long as they want him, but I agree with whoever said he needs to stop killing himself for the role physically. It'll increase his longevity dramatically.