Hugo Weaving Finished With Red Skull

SPARTAMARCUS

Jul 22, 2012
Weaving was great as the Red Skull. They should have used him more. He won't have any choice in the matter since he signed a contract to do more than one film as the character. Ooops!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Phishfood said:
Still, I can't see any reason to continue with Red Skull anyway - you have to contrive some way for him to survive the crash and then get frozen so he is in the future and then find someone smart enough to know how but stupid enough to unfreeze him.
He wasn't in the crash. He was transported to god knows where by the Tesseract, and given he's a super soldier, it'd be a safe bet that if that didn't kill him or he wasn't killed wherever he was sent to, he'd still be alive.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
To be honest, Red Skull is not a very demanding role to play. Any other capable actor will do just as well with it. The break in continuity will be disappointing though.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
While I respect the man's wishes, as nobody knows better than Mr. Weaving what roles intrigue him the most, I am disappointed. The Red Skull's end in Captain America was clearly done to set him up for a return, and the Skull is one of Cap's most iconic villains. Still, it would be easy to justify a change in appearance for the man, I just think that Weaving nailed the character pretty well. Anybody else would have some hard work ahead of them to prove themselves.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
What he says: "I dont really feel like I want to do this role anymore"
What he means: "I am holding out for more money"

Dont get me wrong Huge Weaving is cool beans...but come on how many actors WILLINGLY would give up a huge role is a franchise because they got that bored?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I look forward to seeing Hugo Weaving in whatever endeavor he engages himself in, and if that doesn't include the Red Skull, then so be it.

I do wish he'd give a more specific reason as to why he doesn't wish to reprise the role. For whatever reason, reading the title of this article gave me the impression that he just felt uncomfortable playing a pseudo Nazi.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
SPARTAMARCUS said:
Weaving was great as the Red Skull. They should have used him more. He won't have any choice in the matter since he signed a contract to do more than one film as the character. Ooops!
Depends how cruel you think Marvel are. Weaving seems to think they won't force him to do another one. They've got plenty of other actors to choose from.

tmande2nd said:
What he says: "I dont really feel like I want to do this role anymore"
What he means: "I am holding out for more money"

Dont get me wrong Huge Weaving is cool beans...but come on how many actors WILLINGLY would give up a huge role is a franchise because they got that bored?
Actors who can get plenty of well-paid work in other films?

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Studsmack said:
Bummer. I didn't really care too much for Weaving's performance, but disruption in continuity would kill me. They really left it open to interpretation as to whether Red Skull died or not. I suppose they could just write him off, though he is pretty big in Captain America's lore, I take it?

Hmm. Predicament.
Well there have been three different Red Skulls. One was a mislead for the real one and the third took on the name because the name and the reputation that went with it was frighting. So they could replace Hugo with another person who took the name of the Red Skull because it would mess with people.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh come on, we will definitely see the return of Red Skull for sure. Well technically since Hugo was pretty much wearing alot of makeup and probably a mask to be Red Skull, it is possible for someone else to played as Red Skull just like when Michael Gambon played as Albus Dumbledore to replace the deceased Richard Harris.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Weaving's performances really enrich his films, but I can't say this is a big loss. They didn't do anything with Red Skull anyway, or with Captain America for that matter.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is proof that contracts in the end are pretty worthless compared to trust. You can contract an actor but you can't make them act well. You can have a contract with a publisher, but if they choose to play hardball there's nothing you can do to stop them