Humanity's worst mistake

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
So in my anthropology class today, we discussed how this one anthropologist arguest that crop and animal domestication was humanity's worst mistake and we got into a discussion over what we thought was the worst mistake, so I ask you the same question:

What do you think is humanity's worst mistake?

I think it's somewhere between music elitists, british comedy and Japanese hentai.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm going to be controversial here, but I think one of (not the worst, but in the top ten) the worst things humanity has done, or rather failed to do, is the failure to institute population caps in the last century, with strict regulations and harsh punishments for breaking those rules. I even wouldn't be averse to (as a last resort) adding birth control to the water supply in countries with greater than 3% growth per year. The population is increasing out of control, and we're running out of room and food and resources. Unless we want WW3, over natural resources, within the next century, we need to do something now.

Dinosaur_Face

Sep 22, 2011
Fanfic_warper said:
I think it's somewhere between music elitists, british comedy and Japanese hentai.
i will have to disagree with you there on both the british comedy and the hentai, still it's your opinion,

OT the greatest mistakes must have been the wars based on religion, it doesn't matter what you believe in, you're still a human

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Trivun said:
I'm going to be controversial here, but I think one of (not the worst, but in the top ten) the worst things humanity has done, or rather failed to do, is the failure to institute population caps in the last century, with strict regulations and harsh punishments for breaking those rules. I even wouldn't be averse to (as a last resort) adding birth control to the water supply in countries with greater than 3% growth per year. The population is increasing out of control, and we're running out of room and food and resources. Unless we want WW3, over natural resources, within the next century, we need to do something now.
And i'll be the first one to disagree with your "controversial" opinion here.

Concerns about over-population frequently pop up on the Escapist, and indeed "over-population" is often used in science-fiction as a simple and easy catalyst to create dystopian, conflict riddled futures, which is probably where a lot of people get their concerns about population from.

"Over-Population" is a relative term, depending on how technologically advanced such a population is when it comes to acquiring it's own food resources. For instance, by 1340 England was over-populated, medieval farming technology could not sustain 5 million people and more and more people were slipping into poverty and serfdom until the plague happend. If England had a population of 5 million today, with modern technology, we would be massively under-populated, because our economy can sustain a population off around 60 million.

For these reasons, developed countries like the UK, America, Germany, Canada Japan are not over-populated because they can feed their respective populations- to the extent that obesity is a common public health problem. Plus, in a developed economy, there is little incentive to have more than 2 children (or any at all) which means that the fertility rates in countries like the UK, France and Italy say hover around at "replacement level". In fact the only reason why the population in countries such as the UK is rising is because of immigration- in Germany and Japan the population growth is almost negative- because there is not enough immigration.

Developing countries such as Sudan, Ethiopia, Congo, Bangladesh etc are however "over-populated" and this is because they don't have the technology to sustain their populations. If they did, like the developed world does, then these countries would not be over-populated. However, antagonising this problem is high-birth rates because in un-developed states, there are reasons to have lots of children- lack of contraception, some medicine which would lower infant mortality, but mainly because most people work in agriculture and children are a) cheap, free labour b) without an effective system of state welfare, parents need children to look after them when they are old. This means that the populations in the un-developed world are rising quickly, and the solution to this is not imposing birth control measures, but by helping them develop economically so they have the technology to sustain their populations. If the entire world becomes "developed", populations will stabilise and we'll be able to feed everyone.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The invention/evolution of the firearm. Prior to this wars were more limited in scale and bloodshed as only strong men could fight them and once you were out of men you were pretty much compelled to sue for peace or be annihilated. Sure it was brutal but swords and bows didn't really allow for the protracted fighting we see today nor does it give the equalizing power that guns do. A child with a sword cannot stand much of a chance against a knight. A child with a gun stands a chance against even the most well trained soldier.

Just my bit.

Also inb4 nuke if it hasn't been called already.

EDIT: I've been quoted enough, read those quotes if you want. My primary argument is that firearms made the fighting inevitable. Siege warfare meant that a well prepared fortress with a water supply and huge food stocks could outlast an army living off the land. Had guns not been invented, I think the art of defense would have greatly been expanded leading to more diplomacy due to the cost of tackling giant castles. With cannons even the thickest walls could be breached easily.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Climbing out of the trees.

On a serious note...Well the tree thing is pretty bad, I cant really point out anything worse.

Edit: Ninjas... :(

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Fanfic_warper said:
british comedy
I will get you.
You won't know when i will get you, where i will get you or how i will get you.
But i will get you, and i will destroy you.
:p

Seriously though, i think we are our worst creation, for we have made everything bad.
Just got all deep on you there!

*mystical mountain sounds*
P.S.
I was joking at the beginning, just to make it crystal clear.

SaikyoKid

Sep 1, 2011
I can think of quite a few off of the top of my head, but I think the one I can probably back up the easiest would be the idea of a monarchy. To say that one person is better than all other people simply because they were born that way is beyond me entirely. To assign them as your leader either because they were born or because some god said so is even sillier.

Eekaida

Jan 13, 2010
Religion. Since its very beginning its been used as an excuse for genocide, war, dictatorship, you name it. In every conflict I can think of, religion played a part.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
One could say that creating civilization was our worst mistake, as it has directly led to all of humanity's most negative creations (social conformity, religion, government, nationalism) though at the same time it has also directly led to the best of what we have made (art, philosophy, science, law).

There are few creations (if any) that strictly have a detriment with no benefit to them. Societal constructs have always played the role of protecting a specific gene stock from being overrun by foreign sources (as we all know that it is part of all nature to war and dominate in order to pass on our genes), though in this day and age they are holding us back. Religion is much the same way, it once played a role in humanity's life guarding against outside influences, but has since become obsoleted by newer more relevant philosophies (existentialism, humanitarianism, free-thought).

Rarely can we not take the bad along with the good; rendering the idea that we've made a single unworthy mistake invalid.

Really, the only mistake we can make is not seeing the value or relevance something has has to us.

donisaac

Aug 9, 2011
Trivun said:
But you do realise that we will never run out of resources right? Countries that are growing the most are 3rd world countries, the more they grow, the closer they will be to reaching 1rst world level, now, take Europe as an example, once they life expectansy rose, the birth rate dropped. Thus, once a country reaches 1rst world country status, its birth rate decreases.

Also, technology increases faster than the population, therefore, we can use the resources better.

So no, we will not run out of resources, and no, people should not be punished for doing something natural.

bastardman25

Sep 27, 2011
Trivun said:
SECONDED!
arable land is also finite
better stop telling people they?re all miracles before we all end up eating soylent green.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
OH look, another one of these threads where everyone tries to out do everyone else's cynicism and hatred for any member of the species that isn't them.

But a very honest and worthy round of applause to Nikolai77 and donisaac for their excellent points against the knee jerk 'overpopulation' myth that the Greens love trotting out. Keep up the good work.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
assuming that humanity as a whole can be something that makes mistakes (humanity cannot be judged as a whole, at least in terms of morality)

hm. I dunno. It'd probably be a very subjective answer.