Humble Bundle ethics/etiquette

Woiminkle

Sep 8, 2012
Hi all,
I'm just sitting here having a battle with own conscience over the Humble Indie Bundle 9.
On the one hand I really want to play Mark of the Ninja and I'm unemployed so the ability to pick it up for a dollar is sorely tempting me. The problem is that I can't seem to convince myself that that is a fair price to pay for it alone nevermind the other games in the bundle.
So odds are I'll wait till next week and try to pay at least 5 dollars or just leave it.

So I was wondering what are your opinions on the Humble Bundle? Do you have a lowest price you consider fair? Or since it's for charity do you think it's better to put your dollar in with the rest rather than not buy it at all? Maybe you think going as low as you can is fair game if they say up front pay what YOU want?

I'm just interested to see opinons not judging anyone for them. And one last more practical question. I note they have a buy as a gift checkbox for the bundle but if I wanted to give away only the FTL key to somebody and keep the rest of the games is this cool or considered bad form?

Thanks for your time

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I generally consider the average to be my guideline, especially since paying more than that is what gives you the bonus stuff. Although, to be honest, if there was one game in the package that I really wanted and I could get it for a dollar I'd probably go ahead and pay just the dollar. I don't see that as much different than waiting for a huge 75% or more steam sale given that in a humble bundle purchase you can at least choose how much of your dollar goes to the developers and regardless of the Steam Sale price, Steam always gets their cut.

Plus, with the humble bundles, you get the codes individually, so you can always just play Mark of the Ninja (amazing game btw) and gift the other codes. It's a way of getting what you want but helping out others too.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I pay the average only if it unlocks games that I want. Otherwise, I just pay a dollar. If Humble Bundle or the Developers decide that it's not worth it, they can always set a bottom limit. Paying $1 is fair because they made it this way by their own choice.

If you feel bad about paying the minimum amount, then go for it and pay as much as you want. I'm sure the devs/charities/Humble Bundle could always use more money.

As for your last question, it's ok. The key is yours to do as you please, including giving it to someone else.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
If I can, I always pay about £5 or so when buying a humble bundle, but I already own FEZ and FTL and I really wanted to try Mark of the Ninja so I only paid a pound. That is fine though, when a developer agress to have their game put in the indie bundle they agree that there are cheap douchebags (like me) out there. Hell, I've seen people pay $10 or more yet don't give anything to FEZ because they hate Phil Fish that much.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I keep going back and forward on it. On the one hand thats $1 they wouldn't have otherwise right? But I like to imagine I'm fractionally pushing the average up than bringing it down.

Overall, I think they'd probably prefer you give them $1 than nothing at all, but I feel bad if I can't pay at least the average

Woiminkle

Sep 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies :)

So far seems like the average is a good guide, which is what I try to at least reach too.

But I agree that it is fair to pay $1 as they didn't set any minimum and the devs went into it knowing that too, I only meant in my OP that I don't feel ok with me paying that because I know I can afford to give at least 5 bucks if I wait till Monday. So again I want to stress that I'm not morally judging anyone for paying less.
BrotherRool said:
I keep going back and forward on it. On the one hand thats $1 they wouldn't have otherwise right? But I like to imagine I'm fractionally pushing the average up than bringing it down.

Overall, I think they'd probably prefer you give them $1 than nothing at all, but I feel bad if I can't pay at least the average
This is where I'm at exactly dude

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I think the least I've ever spent on a humble bundle is $15. For me, if there aren't enough games in there that I want to justify paying at least that much, I don't think the bundle is worth it. To be clear, I've never seen a Humble Indie Bundle that I haven't wanted to pay at least that much for, just various other bundles they do.

I figure it's a fantastic deal even at that price, and a significant amount of it is going to charity, so I really can't justify to myself to pay any less than that. I'm not trying to influence anybody else's decision, that's just how I go about it.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I always pay the fee to unlock the extra games +1 dollar when I buy. I can't afford to give much to charity, but that's the best way I suppose.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
I usually go with the next whole-dollar amount above the average. If the average is $4.95 I'll pay $5. At $5.01 I pay $6, and so on.

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
Woiminkle said:
So I was wondering what are your opinions on the Humble Bundle? Do you have a lowest price you consider fair? Or since it's for charity do you think it's better to put your dollar in with the rest rather than not buy it at all? Maybe you think going as low as you can is fair game if they say up front pay what YOU want?
I love questions of morality, and I respect you for grappling with this one. Because honestly, it is a question that I think most people have considered with the humble bundles.

Here are my, self declared, words of wisdom for you: "In all things balance". You can only afford a dollar, or 5 if you wait. They know this, and it is part of the product placement for them. I on the other hand give between 35-50, depending on the titles and where I am financially. I respect the developers for creating the program, and I want to support things like this to the best of my ability, add in charity, and it is a heart warming win. Others give thousands, because they can, and it means something to them.

So do not feel bad because you can only offer a low sum, the group as a WHOLE makes the difference. Do not allow your individuality to separate you morally from the consciousness of community. Others will make up for what you are unable to give. Later down the line, you will bear the weight for another. In all things balance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I pay what I can afford. Usually, it's over ten bucks, sometimes as high as twenty. If I had more, I'd give more. If I'm broke, it's the minimum I have to to get the goodies.

I honestly feel bad paying less than that. It is a nice gesture by devs/pubs, and a good chunk of the money goes to charity by default.

Keep in mind they will tend to get an average of 5-6 bucks on this stuff, and they know that going in. I just don't like to be a dick or a cheapskate.

...Well, unless someone deserves it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Doom972 said:
As for your last question, it's ok. The key is yours to do as you please, including giving it to someone else.
Don't they say personal, private use only? I'd take that to mean "don't pass these keys around," myself.

ToastiestZombie said:
Hell, I've seen people pay $10 or more yet don't give anything to FEZ because they hate Phil Fish that much.
Hmm...If only there was a "none to Phil fish" option on the slider. My problem is I don't hate him enough to snub the other developers who aren't crap.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Hmm...If only there was a "none to Phil fish" option on the slider. My problem is I don't hate him enough to snub the other developers who aren't crap.
There is, I think. Isn't there the option of what developers you give your money too? So just don't put any money towards Polytron.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
I usually donate $10 and it all goes to charity. Usually $10 for humble bundles is a pretty good price. If people are too cheap to only pay a dollar I think they might as well torrent it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Doom972 said:
Don't they say personal, private use only? I'd take that to mean "don't pass these keys around," myself.
They say it, but I don't see how it is their business what one does with his Steam key.

Aug 1, 2010
Well, since I don't believe in any morality but what I create, I would have absolutely no problem paying that much.

Now, if the money was going DIRECTLY to a dev I really want to support, I would pay much, much more.

For instance, while I would pay as little as possible for a game directly from, say, EA or Activision, I dropped 25 bucks just to get some extra artwork and soundtrack so I could support the guys who are making the full version of Nitronic Rush.

In this case, it's really just a matter of how much you want to give to charity.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
As far as I know, the Humble Bundle overall sales outweigh the tiny asking price.

And Game X wouldn't be there if the developer wasn't OK with it.

I see no ethical quandaries in the concept or use of the Humble Bundle.
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Now, if the money was going DIRECTLY to a dev I really want to support, I would pay much, much more.
You can allocate your payment between the developers, the Humble Bundle company and Child's Play.

You can split your payment in any matter you see fit. (Well, you can't split the dev portion between the different devs, but still.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
There is, I think. Isn't there the option of what developers you give your money too? So just don't put any money towards Polytron.

Ah. the arrow was absent the first time I looked. Hmmmm....

Doom972 said:
They say it, but I don't see how it is their business what one does with his Steam key.
So you're advocating they violate the terms of the Bundle simply because you don't think it's any of their business? That seems to violate the spirit and letter of the Bundle here and strikes me as though it has the future potential to ruin it for everyone should enough people get caught doing it.

Probably not the best advice to give to someone who's considering the ethics of the Bundle.