Humble Bundle Gets Back to the Indie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Humble Bundle Gets Back to the Indie

The Humble Indie Bundle is back with Hotline Miami, Awesomenauts, Thomas Was Alone and five other indie hits.

The Humble Bundle started life as an indie thing, and while an awful lot of people were - and probably still are - put off by its move into the gaming mainstream, today the Humble Indie Bundle is back for a very well-loaded eighth go-around. The Humble Indie Bundle 8 has a total of seven games up for grabs - Little Inferno, Awesomenauts, Capsized, Thomas Was Alone and Dear Esther, plus Hotline Miami and Proteus for those who pay more than the average - and soundtracks for everything but Hotline Miami. (Which is an odd and unfortunate omission, because the Hotline Miami soundtrack is awesome.)

The usual Humble Bundle rules apply, but just in case this is your first rodeo I'll spell it out again: Pay whatever you want for the first five games, divided between the developers, the EFF and Child's Play charities and the Humble Bundle crew in whatever portions you see fit. Pay at least $1 and you'll get Steam keys for all applicable games as well as the standard DRM-free downloads; beat the average price, currently sitting around $5.70, and you'll get the two bonus games as well.

It's an excellent selection of games, especially when you can get them all for a dollar - although I'd encourage you to pay more - and even if it's not quite enough to convince you to forgive the Humble Bundle for its THQ dalliance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120863-Humble-THQ-Bundle-Waves-Bye-Bye-to-Indie-UPDATED], surely it's at least a good first step in the healing process. The Humble Indie Bundle 8 runs until June 11.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Oh i wants so much...but college expenses leave nothing much for games *siiigh*

Jan 23, 2010
l3o2828 said:
You do know that you can pay a single cent and still get most of the games, right?

If you pay above the current average, which right now is 5,7$ you'll get Proteus and Hotline. If you can live without them though it's not necessary.

I love these guys and their amazing sales. I always make sure to pay what I feel I can afford at the time, even if I have most of the games already.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
The Almighty Grigard said:
l3o2828 said:
You do know that you can pay a single cent and still get most of the games, right?

If you pay above the current average, which right now is 5,7$ you'll get Proteus and Hotline. If you can live without them though it's not necessary.

I love these guys and their amazing sales. I always make sure to pay what I feel I can afford at the time, even if I have most of the games already.
I'd feel kinda bad paying under the average, but you're totally right.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Grrahhh... Dammit, guys, I still have games I haven't played from three of the previous bundles! Slow down!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
l3o2828 said:
I'd feel kinda bad paying under the average, but you're totally right.
Now I feel bad for raising the average. >.>

OT

I don't know what's to forgive. They made a non-indie bundle. So what? As long as we get good games in these pay what you want bundles, I'm down with what they have to offer.

Also, love the weekly deals. Picked up the Alan Wake games.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
It's an excellent selection of games, especially when you can get them all for a dollar - although I'd encourage you to pay more - and even if it's not quite enough to convince you to forgive the Humble Bundle for its THQ dalliance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120863-Humble-THQ-Bundle-Waves-Bye-Bye-to-Indie-UPDATED], surely it's at least a good first step in the healing process. The Humble Indie Bundle 8 runs until June 11.

What was wrong with that? Seemed very humble to me.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Just found out ps3 version of hotline Miami will have exclusive content. Depending on what it is I'll have to buy it twice which is rare for me.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I knew Thomas was Alone would turn up in one of these bundles. So snap-buy there!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ehhhh I'm actually not too sure about this one. Hotline Miami and Capsized look amazing, but I'm not sure I have the patience for Awsomenauts and the other three are the the exact kind of pretentious "ITZ ART ZOMG" wank that fails to interest me in any way.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Wanted to play Thomas was alone and little inferno for a while. Also have some interest in hotline Miami so this was an easy buy for me.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Yeah I've bought nearly every single Humble Bundle so far and I think I'm gonna say that this is the best one yet. That's just so many great games and I hit the jackpot because I didn't have any of these but have been very interested in all of them.

Plus, it's for a good cause. Come on guys.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
I don't know what's to forgive. They made a non-indie bundle. So what? As long as we get good games in these pay what you want bundles, I'm down with what they have to offer.

Also, love the weekly deals. Picked up the Alan Wake games.
I agree. There were some awesome games in that THQ bundle. If "selling out" now means "giving people hundreds of hours of enjoyment for almost nothing" then I'm all for it.

major_chaos said:
Ehhhh I'm actually not too sure about this one. Hotline Miami and Capsized look amazing, but I'm not sure I have the patience for Awsomenauts and the other three are the the exact kind of pretentious "ITZ ART ZOMG" wank that fails to interest me in any way.
If it helps, Thomas Was Alone is an enjoyable puzzle-platformer regardless of context.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
meh i only got one of their bundles so far, most of them don't have any games that interest me at all. i wouldn't pay more than a dollar for those games either way.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I don't understand what's up with the mentality of "ZOMG, they can't release non-indie games in cheap bundles!" Not really helping to dispel the stereotype of pretentiousness surrounding the indie market there, guys...

Seems like a nice bundle. Not really all that interested in any of the titles myself, but most of them have gotten a fair amount of praise and rightfully so from what I've seen. So that's neat for the people who want them.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
the humble indie bundles perfectly encapsulate what i love about the current state of pc gaming cheaper, indie friendly and less blatantly money hungry. i will defiantly get this.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Wow, I actually had none of those games until just now, I've heard good things about several of them.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
First time buying a Humble Bundle and I'm glad I did. Bought Thomas Was Alone on Vita and loved it so buying it for about the same price, with the extra games in this bundle, more than makes up for whatever games I don't like from it.

Also found out that they are trying out a Humble Weekly Sale with Alan Wake. Already own the first game on Steam but bought it again, with American Nightmare, for those crazy extras.

Plus you get the music in Flac/MP3 format! How could you go wrong?