Humble Bundle Presents Its Nintendo eShop Collection

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
dangoball said:
Dead Metal said:
Oh not in the EU? Well, guess I won't have to deal with the WiiU's slow ass menues to download any of this then. But anyway, the only really interesting game here is Guacamelee, which I already have on my PS4.

But to anyone in the US who considers this, the bundle is worth it for Guacamelee alone.
And that's how everyone's Steam library suddenly has 200+ games. A bundle of ten worth it for one title is not that rare.
Not saying it's bad, just that I should probably sort out my own games...
Yup, I still have loads of comics from the books bundles I haven't read, because I bought them for one or two in the bundle XD
But these bundles do give you the chance to check out something new you wouldn't have bought on its own. But yeah, it would be cool to be able to remove stuff you don't like from your libraries.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dead Metal said:
RanceJustice said:
While I don't object to HumbleBundle branching out to Nintendo's systems on a practical level (on a philosophical one, I see all consoles as unnecessarily proprietary and should be phased out in favor of more open platforms like PC and Android), I do find it disappointing that this bundle is limited ONLY to Nintendo's platforms when many titles listed also are available on PC.

Several titles, such as The Fall, Guacamelee, Stealth Inc, and Steamworld Dig are also available on PC. One reason I patronize Humble is that for the most part you gain access to a wide assortment of platforms. For instance, you get Steam keys plus direct downloads/installers for Linux/Windows/OSX if a title offers them. Why couldn't they offer access to these platforms as well as the Nintendo ones? If the answer was "Because Nintendo refused to allow it", that would be yet another reason I'm none too happy with the console manufacturer mindset. Even though I own some of the titles, I would have definitely thrown another $10 their way had they offered PC keys for the games that possess them as well. Pity.
Because the point of this is to offer a Nintendo bundle? Seriously, ever one of these has been in previous bundles, so what are you complaining about?
Plus, you don't get the console or mobile versions of a game when you buy a PC bundle, or the console and PC versions when you buy a mobile bundle. You don't see people complaining that the EA bundle was PC only.
The weekly bundle is for PC games, the mobile for android, and this Nintendo Bundle is for - Nintendo. In fact this is the first bundle to offer two different platforms in one bundle, the WiiU and the 3DS.
Uhm, no, I've bought like, 10 bundles... Many of the 'pc' ones were windows/linux/mac for most of the titles.
I also have about 3 'humble android bundles' which are, for the most part android + Windows/linux/mac...

So... Uhm... anyway...

Not that it bothers me that this isn't. It's such a shock to see this in the first place that it's interesting just for that.

The region locking is a bit tedious though.
Interestingly there is a tweet showing someone from nintendo spent months trying to sort out some legal issues to do with that...
But apparently didn't manage it.

Based on what they said, I'm expecting this deal to show up a second time for the rest of the world sooner or later...

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
It's kind of ironic that I found out about this RIGHT after I was feeling guilty for pirating NDS games in high school... right before I found out that it was region locked.
Las7 said:
Nintendo America tried to make the bundle available for all regions

https://twitter.com/DWBakes/status/603279625666433024
One still has to wonder "why not?", though.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Because they are a large corporation and bureaucracy runs rife.
I work in one and know how difficult it is to coordinate across continents and teams.
Nintendo are behind the times in most aspects of online account/store systems and have a lot of catch up to do.
I don't expect any major changes from them until their new console/handhelds are released.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I would've bought it. But, yeah, only for Americans.

Well, at least it's both South and North this time.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Dead Metal said:
RanceJustice said:
While I don't object to HumbleBundle branching out to Nintendo's systems on a practical level (on a philosophical one, I see all consoles as unnecessarily proprietary and should be phased out in favor of more open platforms like PC and Android), I do find it disappointing that this bundle is limited ONLY to Nintendo's platforms when many titles listed also are available on PC.

Several titles, such as The Fall, Guacamelee, Stealth Inc, and Steamworld Dig are also available on PC. One reason I patronize Humble is that for the most part you gain access to a wide assortment of platforms. For instance, you get Steam keys plus direct downloads/installers for Linux/Windows/OSX if a title offers them. Why couldn't they offer access to these platforms as well as the Nintendo ones? If the answer was "Because Nintendo refused to allow it", that would be yet another reason I'm none too happy with the console manufacturer mindset. Even though I own some of the titles, I would have definitely thrown another $10 their way had they offered PC keys for the games that possess them as well. Pity.
Because the point of this is to offer a Nintendo bundle? Seriously, ever one of these has been in previous bundles, so what are you complaining about?
Plus, you don't get the console or mobile versions of a game when you buy a PC bundle, or the console and PC versions when you buy a mobile bundle. You don't see people complaining that the EA bundle was PC only.
The weekly bundle is for PC games, the mobile for android, and this Nintendo Bundle is for - Nintendo. In fact this is the first bundle to offer two different platforms in one bundle, the WiiU and the 3DS.
Uhm, no, I've bought like, 10 bundles... Many of the 'pc' ones were windows/linux/mac for most of the titles.
I also have about 3 'humble android bundles' which are, for the most part android + Windows/linux/mac...

So... Uhm... anyway...

Not that it bothers me that this isn't. It's such a shock to see this in the first place that it's interesting just for that.

The region locking is a bit tedious though.
Interestingly there is a tweet showing someone from nintendo spent months trying to sort out some legal issues to do with that...
But apparently didn't manage it.

Based on what they said, I'm expecting this deal to show up a second time for the rest of the world sooner or later...
OK, I was wrong then.
Still, this is a Nintendo bundle.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Kinitawowi said:
If Humble had the faintest respect for their fans they'd have refused to carry this unless it could be region unlocked. What a complete load.
Why would you say they have no respect for their fans by at least releasing where they could? Nintendo and Humble Bundle have been working together to try and get a global release for months. If this bundle is successful, they should be able to convince what ever entity that is holding up the process to agree to a worldwide bundle later on, or they can make a (possibly even better) bundle just for other regions to make up for it. There's also the charities and indie devs that wouldn't see as much funding come their way if they had just given up.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Hairless Mammoth said:
Kinitawowi said:
If Humble had the faintest respect for their fans they'd have refused to carry this unless it could be region unlocked. What a complete load.
Why would you say they have no respect for their fans by at least releasing where they could? Nintendo and Humble Bundle have been working together to try and get a global release for months. If this bundle is successful, they should be able to convince what ever entity that is holding up the process to agree to a worldwide bundle later on, or they can make a (possibly even better) bundle just for other regions to make up for it. There's also the charities and indie devs that wouldn't see as much funding come their way if they had just given up.
Here's why - because while I'd love to think this is a forerunner to enabling worldwide bundles, I'm far more inclined to suspect that it's likely to result in more locked bundles instead. I certainly don't think it's ever likely to result in Bigger, Better, Non-US bundles. Remember when GOG.com first tried to introduce regional pricing last year? It was an omnishambles and everyone knew it, because it was basically saying "Hey, Europe, Asia and Australia? FUCK YOU." And they had the sense to realise it, and they realised it didn't jibe with the fans, and they pulled out of some probably complicated agreements in order to make sure it didn't happen.

Humble have just made exactly the same mistake, and they haven't even had the decency to try and explain why they've made the decision they have. THAT's why it's disrespectful to the fans.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Kinitawowi said:
Here's why - because while I'd love to think this is a forerunner to enabling worldwide bundles, I'm far more inclined to suspect that it's likely to result in more locked bundles instead. I certainly don't think it's ever likely to result in Bigger, Better, Non-US bundles. Remember when GOG.com first tried to introduce regional pricing last year? It was an omnishambles and everyone knew it, because it was basically saying "Hey, Europe, Asia and Australia? FUCK YOU." And they had the sense to realise it, and they realised it didn't jibe with the fans, and they pulled out of some probably complicated agreements in order to make sure it didn't happen.

Humble have just made exactly the same mistake, and they haven't even had the decency to try and explain why they've made the decision they have. THAT's why it's disrespectful to the fans.
Fair enough. I hope you and anyone who shares your opinion have made your voices heard by both the Humble guys and Nintendo. I believe Humble Bundle had the best intentions and only compromised to just the Americas for now to at least reach some of their audience. It is likely the main hurdles stopping a worldwide bundle are some old, traditionalist executives at NoJ, NoA, or NoE, who still believe relenting on region locking for anything will somehow spell doom for their company.

I will wait until the last day or so to decide if I want to support this bundle, in case some new light is shed on this situation. There has been controversy with Humble in the past, but we all know Nintendo clings to old ways like they have been super glued to them. If the next Nindy Bundle is still limited to only my region, I will not support it.