Humble bundle: xcom and civilization

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
the current humble bundle is offering xcom and the civilization games, among others. is it worth paying $15+ for civ: beyond earth?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I strongly suggest buy the second tier. Just only for Civ. 4 and 5.
As for Civ Beyond earth...eh, I guess in my opinion wait for a more generous discount.
Base some reviews I read, Civ BE is like the previous Civ, but in space. Not so exciting if this is 100% truth.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
SweetShark said:
As for Civ Beyond earth...eh, I guess in my opinion wait for a more generous discount.
Base some reviews I read, Civ BE is like the previous Civ, but in space. Not so exciting if this is 100% truth.
I got the whole bundle, specifically because of BE. It's not 'bad', but it is a very bare bones game going from something like Alpha Centauri, even Civ 5. I think the worst aspect is the factions/sponsers in BE, they have absolutely no personality, the idea being that you can customise them as you want. In reality what you get is a small pool of stat modifiers and bonuses to choose from before starting a game and little else.

However, if you have none of these games or even one or two it's still very good value. Although for a Firaxis bundle it's criminal they don't have Alpha Centauri and its expansion anyway, probably some legal issue, or perhaps they didn't want to show up BE? x)

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
GothmogII said:
SweetShark said:
I got the whole bundle, specifically because of BE. It's not 'bad', but it is a very bare bones game going from something like Alpha Centauri, even Civ 5. I think the worst aspect it the factions/sponsers in BE, they have absolutely no personality, the idea being that you can customise them as you want. In reality what you get is a small pool of stat modifiers and bonuses to choose from before starting a game and little else.

However, if you have none of these games or even one or two it's still very good value. Although for a Firaxis bundle it's criminal they don't have Alpha Centauri and its expansion anyway, probably some legal issue, or perhaps they didn't want to show up BE? x)
I wanted to say Alpha Centauri is a old game and maybe the recent gamers won't like them, but then I remember that Heroes of M&M 3 is still the best of the series and is old as f*ck.
So, yeah, OP go for it man!!! Maybe you like the old game!
Also I think it isn't in the bundle cause I onlt find it in GoG.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Civ: beyond earth is not great. Not disfunctional or bad or anything but it has no reason to exist. As far as I'm concerned, civ V and civ IV with all the dlc (which you can pick up for 10 bucks these days, in the case of civ V during the next steam sale) are vastly better strategy games that do everything BE does, but better. This goes especially for civ 5. I played a couple of games of it so you are quickly spending a lot of time on it still, but you might as well just play more civ 5.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Base Beyond Earth was a half-decent 6/10 game. Their expansion pack was atrocious in the sense they made the unbalanced game even more unbalanced. On its own, a 5/10 but when compared to what it should have been, terrifying

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Fifteen bucks for Beyond Earth? I'd tak- oh, wait. They want YOU to pay THEM?

Grab the tier that gets you Civ 4 and Civ 5. Play both. Then head over to GOG and buy Alpha Centauri and its expansion. That'll save you some money.

If Beyond Earth had been billed as simply "Civ 5 in space", it would've been a mere disappointment. It wasn't. It was balled as a spiritual sequel to Alpha Centauri, which was the product of a confluence of factors creating a fascinating world and experience, then needing only a solid framework to place it in, falling into place just as Civ 2 reached the end of its lifecycle and Firaxis realized that didn't have the right to make Civilization games anymore. Slap the new stuff in, bolt a few changes on, and you've got the best game in the series.

Beyond Earth was the result of a confluence of "2K needs more money" and "we're not doing anything" falling into place just as Civ 5 was reaching the end of its lifecycle and Firaxis realized "hey, we're out of ideas".

Alpha Centauri was a product of its unique situation; bring back the same people, put them in the same positions, in the same circumstances, and lightning's still not going to strike again. But its irreproducibility doesn't make it any less good, or the warmed-over hackjob of Beyond Earth any less of an insult.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Recusant said:
It was balled as a spiritual sequel to Alpha Centauri
Nah man, the developers were very adamant about not wanting to compare their game with Alpha Centauri too much. But the hypetrain of the public had already left the station with that on board and even the devs couldn't stop it.

It was very bare-bones though, but less so than Civ 5 was at launch. I've heard good things about the latest expansion of Beyond Earth as well, though there's only a 33% off for that in the bundle. Can't say I played it though as BE did leave me very "Eh."

Shame as well as I just can't get into Alpha Centauri. That game did not age gracefully, especially that UI... There's only one game with a truly terrible UI I have patience for and that's Dwarf Fortress.