Humbler Than Thou: The Free Bundle Spotlights The Little Guy

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Humbler Than Thou: The Free Bundle Spotlights The Little Guy

A new bundle offers overlooked indie titles for free.

While the last big Humble Bundle might have been a good deal, it certainly [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120863-Humble-THQ-Bundle-Waves-Bye-Bye-to-Indie-UPDATED]wasn't very indie[/a]. Perhaps that's why two fellow indie devs, Javier and Carlos Cabrera, released [a href=http://www.thefreebundle.com/]"The Free Bundle"[/a]. With the self-stated purpose that "[w]e want to give REAL indie developers a chance to show their work", the bundle is a collection of indie titles that deserve more attention. Also, they're all completely free, which is attention getting enough.

The bundle features a nice eclectic mixture with some rather interesting titles. Wrapped up in neon Tron stylings, Nitronic Rush looks like an arcade racer with Rush 2049 influences. Ascension drips with atmosphere and offers psychological horror as a groundskeeper searches for his sick daughter. Celestial Mechanica is a platformer with "a touch of soul." Imscared might look like an ancient FPS, but it plays up its lo-fi graphics to a great psychological effect. Finally, Abobo's Big Adventure is what would happen if you went on a head-punching rampage though your classic NES library.

All of the games can be downloaded from the bundle's website or from the individual authors. While most of the games are Windows only, a few have Mac versions available. The site doesn't take donations, but does mention that the individual authors do, so those looking to give back can avoid the middleman.

Source: [a href=http://www.thefreebundle.com/]The Free Bundle[/a]

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
I saw this a couple days ago and got Abobo, pretty fun game with it's crude humor and such. I would gladly have payed 5 bucks for this if it made it on steam.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
IanDavis said:
While the last big Humble Bundle might have been a good deal, it certainly [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120863-Humble-THQ-Bundle-Waves-Bye-Bye-to-Indie-UPDATED]wasn't very indie[/a].
I just wanted to point out this is facutally wrong, the last humble bundle was the "Humble Indie Bundle 7" and was launched on December 19, and the THQ bundle was launched on November 29.

OT: GREAT! I'll go eyeball those titles.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I love indie games, but hate the indie complex that some of these devs carry around with them.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
"REAL indie developers"?

Seriously? I've played Nitronic Rush, it was really good, and I've heard tons of good things about Imscared, but seriously, why is the Humble Bundle only allowed to showcase "indie" developers? Because it had "Indie" in the name, originally? Pretty sure that was only there because they all were indie developers, not because it was only for indie developers.

It's called "humblebundle.com", not "humbleINDIEbundle.com"

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
"REAL indie developers"?

Seriously? I've played Nitronic Rush, it was really good, and I've heard tons of good things about Imscared, but seriously, why is the Humble Bundle only allowed to showcase "indie" developers? Because it had "Indie" in the name, originally? Pretty sure that was only there because they all were indie developers, not because it was only for indie developers.

Exactly what I was going to say. There's also the point that the Humble Bundles are actually more about the charity funding, rather than who made the game. Getting all worked up over the fact that one bundle wasn't Indie games reeks of pretentiousness.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
"REAL indie developers"?

Nevermind, I got something out of your post that wasn't there.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
"we want to give REAL indie developers a chance to show their work"

I like what they are doing and I'm certainly going to play the games they have but...this sounds REALLY pretentious and elitist.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Real indie developers, huh? So Wolfire, Introversion, Frictional, Spiderweb, Studio Pixel, Hitbox, Kranx, Double Fine, Minmax, Team Meat, Runic, and 2D Boy are all fake indie developers?

That was a poor choice of words, yes. I'll still give this bundle a look and a play, if only because it wasn't the developers calling themselves "real indie developers," but the distributors--who seem to be catering to the people who are still put off by the Humble Bundle daring to help out THQ.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
When I click on the link for thefreebundle.com I get a big, red screen telling me this "This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information." Oh noes!

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
Yeah, I'm with the others who are a bit off-put by the stressing of these being "real" indie games. Pretty sure the more important things about the Humble Bundle are: a) you pay what you want for something that would have a price tag on it, and b) money goes to charity.
Still, it's cool that they are getting developer's games out there somehow.