Humor: When does comedy cross the line and turn into bullying?

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Some people have a really thin skin here. I'm not trying to defend bullying, but when do we cross yet another line into pampering?
The "bad" cosplays here are either quite clearly ironic, because what else would one have to do to make the irony shine through?
Or they where actually bad. If someone ducttapes pieces of cardboard together in under an hour and you have to guess as to what character it is supposed to be, what would that cosplay be?
It would be bad.

This fear of possibly hurting someone's sensitive soul will drive some people to just give everything a thumbs up.
And when someone honestly tries to bring up some critique as gently and mild as humanly possible he will then be bullied by the "anti-bullies" ironically.

Are you trying to "bully" the perceived bullies in an attempt to protect those probably not all that sensitive people?
Some of which probably laughed their asses off at the video.

It is regrettable if i hurt someone through words, but i must be able to be honest. But for some people the "Bully!" detectors will ring when some lady makes jokes at pictures which are several years old and i fear you will unwittingly suppress honesty.

That being said, i didn't like the video much. Skinny lady with awesome cosplays makes fun of fat people with rather unflattering cosplays.

Although, i liked the catgirl much better the the picture of the lady in the fuzzy bra. Felicia from darkstalkers doesn't wear a bra, she wears pretty much nothing with fur in strategic places to ward off a higher esrb rating.
So the "bad" cosplay was better then the "good" cosplay with the skinny lady and the fuzzy bra.

Making fun of people in bad cosplays is, perceived bullying aside, not exactly the height of comedy.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
How dare anyone say anything that could ever be perceived as insulting to anyone ever...

And now that the censorship is in place: My opinion is that I think the is on this occasion, and that they should only if they actually know what they are bloody .

Ahh... That feels better.

I don't beleive intent is a massive issue as long as you apologise if it is taken the wrong way. What I am not going to do though is check everything I say and do in case of offending anyone. I do annual Ethics and Diversity training, and I know that it is not an issue if you say something that is taken the wrong way, as long as you have the balls to say sorry, and own up that it wasn't intended to harm.

Jun 6, 2012
fibchopkin said:
Glongpre said:
It is bullying when it's purpose is to hurt the individual in someway. Most people I know are always making fun of each other but there is no intention to hurt.
Let me preface this post by saying: I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, I was honestly surprised at the reaction to the top 5 video and I'm curious about what you (and others) think.

Does that mean that you think it's okay to call someone ugly or stupid if you're really and truly just joking with them? Even if your words hurt their feelings pretty badly, but you only intended to play around, does that make it okay?
I would figure at that point, if you're joking, you would stop and apologize ( at least I would ), but continuing with the jokes would go too far imo.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Smeatza said:
Bassically, I'm stating that your finger-pointing is...well...pointless. Exactly what are you going to do because you think a comedian steals material? Does it really warrant going "Stop having fun, guys!"? Am I suppose to stop laughing because you don't like him? Well, I won't. You're entitled to a descenting opinion, but I don't have to share it. And I believe that if you desire to keep bludgeoning me with it, we find out where the real bullying is.

It's the fans. If they don't like who I like, if they don't find Carlos Mencia, Denis Leary, Dane Cook, Christopher Titus, Robin Williams, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Robin Williams, Bill Cosby, John Penette, Eddie Izzard, Dara O'Briain, etc. funny...oh, I will never hear the end of it. "No, you can't like those other comedians, because they're not our comedians. Ooh, and that one steals and he's a drug abuser and we don't like the mouth on that one!" That's basically what it's all about.

So, the bullying in comedy is clearly manifested in peer-pressure...which I will not respond to. I hope that clears up things a little.

Sahngar

Jun 15, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
There is a distinct difference between bullying and constructive criticism. Lisa's video easily fits into the former category. There was no advice for improvement, this was "point and laugh at these losers" straight from a 4th grade playground.
It's a weekly humor video that goes for 4 minutes and covers a whole load of random pointless topics.

4 out of 5 of the cosplays listed were crap, some much very obviously and possibly deliberately crap and all (with the exception of the catgirl - who had her own issues) looked like they were going for laughs.

The worst part was the rhinana joke, that I will admit was pushing the line

But the contents of the video does in no way justify the absolute bile being heaped on the video. And in fact many of the comments posted about it were much worse than the comments of lisa herself.

So, how does this relate back to bullying?

Look at the 200+ comments on the video plus facebook, the video thread and so on and tell me who is trying to bully who here.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Bassically, I'm stating that your finger-pointing is...well...pointless. Exactly what are you going to do because you think a comedian steals material? Does it really warrant going "Stop having fun, guys!"? Am I suppose to stop laughing because you don't like him? Well, I won't. You're entitled to a descenting opinion, but I don't have to share it. And I believe that if you desire to keep bludgeoning me with it, we find out where the real bullying is.

It's the fans. If they don't like who I like, if they don't find Carlos Mencia, Denis Leary, Dane Cook, Christopher Titus, Robin Williams, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Robin Williams, Bill Cosby, John Penette, Eddie Izzard, Dara O'Briain, etc. funny...oh, I will never hear the end of it. "No, you can't like those other comedians, because they're not our comedians. Ooh, and that one steals and he's a drug abuser and we don't like the mouth on that one!" That's basically what it's all about.

So, the bullying in comedy is clearly manifested in peer-pressure...which I will not respond to. I hope that clears up things a little.
There's a marked difference between being disliked and being a plagiarist.
Especially in a field where it is difficult to take legal action against somebody who steals, publishes and makes money off your material.

Jedi-Hunter4

Mar 20, 2012
When one party does not take the joke in good humor and then the joke or theme of the joke is carried on whilst in full knowledge that it was not taken in good humor.

Simple in my eyes.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Smeatza said:
There's also a marked difference between accusing and being right.

AND THAT'S THE NEWS! Thank you and good night!
If you had bothered looking into it at all you would see I am right.
Thank you and goodnight.